• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A True Feeling Of Belonging

VickySGV

• Admin

On Thursday night I attended a Festival High Mass at my Episcopal Church's diocesan cathedral in downtown Los Angeles that was conducted in thanksgiving for the U.S. Supreme Court decisions on DOMA and the California same sex marriage issue. I was probably the only one or at most one of 3 transgender people there, along with nearly 400 GLB people and their family members. It did not matter to me though, since I had a feeling of peace and belonging that was deeper than I even feel in my parish church on most occasions. Our suffragan Bishop (who is lesbian) actually included comments on Stonewall events, and gave full credit to our two Trans* heroines of that event which is remembered on Saturday.

It is true that one otherwise beautiful hymn that we sang did have a short phrase about God only creating male and female, and my momentary grimace about it was seen, and I felt several touches and shoulder pats from the people around me.

At the Invitation to Communion I found myself gently crying over the words of the bidding, since they included the idea of coming exactly as we were "because it is Christ who calls you to this table". This was said to an entire gathering of people for whom Christ's name is often used to exclude us and even damn us. For us, the mystical real presence of Christ in the communion elements was deeply felt.

I was where I was meant to be that night, and I feel an even deeper need for me to be a part of that ministry of my greater church. I also know who is proclaiming that need to me.