• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transgender Vet

This past Sunday I attended the monthly veterans meeting at the local community center. It was the first time being together since December.

I have been a member of American Veterans for Equal Rights for two years. I never intended to join a vets group but when attended my first

meeting I felt at home. AVER is the only lgbt vets group in New York City.

I was in the service long before I had gender issues. I consider myself a transgender veteran. There are a number of trans vets in our group.

A gay transgender woman came to Sunday's meeting. I am proud of my military service. It grieves me when men and women are discharged

from military service because of their sexuality or gender identity. Don't Ask, Don't Tell is an ambiguous and worthless regulation that must be

repealed. This is what the group is working to do. American Veterans for Equal Rights helps lgbt vets get all the services they're entitled to.

To me being a veteran is an honor. Being a transgender veteran puts me and other trans persons in a unique group. We served our country and we are proud of our service. Some have made the ultimate sacrifice. We want to see those who join serve regardless of their sexuality and gender. Many other countries have lgbt service members in their ranks. It's time that America follow suit and allow these men and women to serve openly. Someday, that time will come.

Gennee

:D

Guest Kelly Ann

Hey Gennee...thank-you from the soles of my feet to my little pointed head for being who you are. It's always nice to see you about :) your friend, Kelly Ann

Guest Donna Jean
To me being a veteran is an honor. Being a transgender veteran puts me and other trans persons in a unique group. We served our country and we are proud of our service. Some have made the ultimate sacrifice. We want to see those who join serve regardless of their sexuality and gender. Many other countries have lgbt service members in their ranks. It's time that America follow suit and allow these men and women to serve openly. Someday, that time will come.

You put that beautifully, Gennee.......

We're not just throw away commodities... We served with honor and distinction around the world to keep the USA safe for all its citizens! There is no reason that LGBT folks cannot serve...they do all the time..(SHhhhh...don't tell)..

Yes, it is time Gennee.......

Thanks for your service, Sweetheart...

Donna Jean

USAF

I never served, lucky timing and a high lottery number - first time I was ever glad not to have the 'winning' number.

I snap to attention and place my hand over my heart for the National Anthem in the civilian salute to all of you.

Thanks is hardly enough, we need a better word.

Thank you all,

Sally

Guest Jackson
I never served, lucky timing and a high lottery number - first time I was ever glad not to have the 'winning' number.

I snap to attention and place my hand over my heart for the National Anthem in the civilian salute to all of you.

Thanks is hardly enough, we need a better word.

Thank you all,

Sally

Sally said it well.

I just went to a photographic exhibition called "The American Soldier: Photographs from the Civil War to the War in Iraq". It was amazing. Some of those photographs brought tears to my eyes. All I've ever done is Civil War reenacting.

Thank you isn't enough, gennee, but there isn't anything better: Thank You.

Guest DeniseNM

Gennee you said what so many of us have felt for so long.

Being a vet myself and having served in Iraq it makes me so very sad and even angry the way anyone in the LGBT community is treated by the military because we have all served with honor and distinction and we should be treated as such. I agree with you about the Don't Ask, Don't Tell being worthless. I was in the Navy when it was passed and so many of us said then it was worthless and didn't do anything. I have a lady vet who I am friends with here at the VA Center where I live right now that is a lesbian who was discharged for "behavior counter to good conduct and morale" (i.e. she is a lesbian). The arguement that having open LGBT members in the military as being disruptive is ludicrious. When I was in Iraq I talked with a couple of British Royal Marines and their squad leader was openly gay. He was the same as a SSgt and had been in the BRM for like 12 or 14 years (out the entire time) and they never had any problems with him or his being gay. Heck one of them said he trusted no one else to take them into a hot zone. There are so many countries that have open policy about LGBT in the military it isn't funny and there isn't a problem like what so many here want people to believe there will be (look at England, Canada, Switzerland, Isreal just to name a few).

Well enough of my rant about it but hopefully it will change soon

Denise

Guest Naomi Stardust

you're doing great work Gennee

keep it up!

don't know why the U.S. is so backwards about some things

oh well..

and thank you all for your service

it is appreciated

Thank you all for your replies. This is a subject that really touches me. I've met men and women who were discharged because of their sexual or gender identity. As I post this I am beaming with love and pride for all of you.

Gennee

:D

Guest Eagledancer

I come from a long military family history. I, myself, only served in the Public Health Service. Because of my small contribution, I am even more humbled at the presence of folks like ya'll. I would like to extend a gesture of love, admiration and thanks for folks who have displayed the ultimate symbol of love - service of Country. May all your years of service come back to you 3-fold with hope, harmony, and happiness. Again...thanks a million

Guest jaime_lynn

Gennee,

First let me begin by saying thank you for your service to the country. Very few people know of the sacrifices that actually are felt by members of the military and their families, even when we are not at war. I was enlisted in the US Navy at the time "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was enacted and I can say that almost unanimously we all considered it a joke.

The fact that for no other reason someone can use your sexuality as an excuse because they feel somehow threatened by you is one of the things that make the world look at us as a country and think we are so backwards. I do find it a bit amusing that since the beginning of the Iraq War the number of men and women discharged from the military for being openly gay or lesbian has dropped dramatically. Guess it's okay as long as you REALLY need them. pshaw!

DeniseNM you wrote that your friend was discharged for "behavior counter to good conduct and morale". I can sympathize a bit. This is a US military catch-all phrase for "We don't like you". I have had a weight issue most of my adult life and of course the Navy didn't like that. My evals routinely were lowered because I was overweight. I felt insulted that they were stating that I couldn't do my job because I was above their standards. Ultimately, as with many during that period, I was discharged and one of the statements on my original paperwork (I was able to get it changed) was that very statement - "behavior counter to good conduct and morale".

We must continue to support our men and women who are serving proudly in defense of our country and push for the removal of the policy.

Hugs to All!

Jaime Lynn

Guest brain(katie)

First let me say thank you to all that have served or are still serving!!!! Not everyone has the privilage of serving. I am totaly with everyone. When are we as Vets or disabled vets and then being Trans on top of that going to be able to get the Help from the VA. Our sexuality or sexual preferacne should never be a question to anyone. That does not change your ability to serve what so ever. Would just be nice to see a Gender therapist on the VA side instead of the private side as its very expensive.

Katie US Navy 90-03

Gennee,

First let me begin by saying thank you for your service to the country. Very few people know of the sacrifices that actually are felt by members of the military and their families, even when we are not at war. I was enlisted in the US Navy at the time "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was enacted and I can say that almost unanimously we all considered it a joke.

The fact that for no other reason someone can use your sexuality as an excuse because they feel somehow threatened by you is one of the things that make the world look at us as a country and think we are so backwards. I do find it a bit amusing that since the beginning of the Iraq War the number of men and women discharged from the military for being openly gay or lesbian has dropped dramatically. Guess it's okay as long as you REALLY need them. pshaw!

DeniseNM you wrote that your friend was discharged for "behavior counter to good conduct and morale". I can sympathize a bit. This is a US military catch-all phrase for "We don't like you". I have had a weight issue most of my adult life and of course the Navy didn't like that. My evals routinely were lowered because I was overweight. I felt insulted that they were stating that I couldn't do my job because I was above their standards. Ultimately, as with many during that period, I was discharged and one of the statements on my original paperwork (I was able to get it changed) was that very statement - "behavior counter to good conduct and morale".

We must continue to support our men and women who are serving proudly in defense of our country and push for the removal of the policy.

Hugs to All!

Jaime Lynn

You're right on the mark, Jaime Lynn.

Gennee

First let me say thank you to all that have served or are still serving!!!! Not everyone has the privilage of serving. I am totaly with everyone. When are we as Vets or disabled vets and then being Trans on top of that going to be able to get the Help from the VA. Our sexuality or sexual preferacne should never be a question to anyone. That does not change your ability to serve what so ever. Would just be nice to see a Gender therapist on the VA side instead of the private side as its very expensive.

Katie US Navy 90-03

I would be great, Katie.

Gennee