• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Cancelling Laser Hair Treatment, Scheduling Electrolysis

Guest EvaO

Permanently removing my facial hair has been something I've been trying to get done and out of the way for a while now. The reason why I've postponed it for so long is because HRT has worked wonders for me! I don't have any significant body hair, except on my legs and genitals, and I only shave my face about once every two days or every other day (I shave my legs and under my arms every two weeks). However, since going on HRT, I've found that my skin is extremely sensitive to razors, even the "pink, lady razors" with attached get sticks and, after shaving, I'll usually get little bumps, irritation and redness all along my jawline and neck. It's not TOO visible, but no less itchy and annoying.

Anyway, I scheduled my first laser hair removal session last week and was pretty excited to start the process. Then, I went to TS Road Map and read a few trans-related forums and blogs that greatly favored electrolysis over laser -- TS Road Map went as far as to say that laser was simply a waste of time and money. Even though I supposedly had the perfect skin/hair color combination (my skin is porcelain and my hair is jet black) for laser treatment, I continued to get paranoid about whether I was putting my money in the right place regarding my transition. So, yesterday, I ended up cancelling my laser treatment and scheduling a session with an electrologist for the first week of October. I am really just looking to get my face done as I can live perfectly happy with shaving my legs for the rest of my life -- and, of course, once I schedule my SRS surgery, after my consultation in September, I know I'll have to do my genitals.

The place I've scheduled my appointment with is called Sophia's Skin Care and it's in the Castro District, here in San Francisco. She is charging me $95 per hour and I'm not sure how many hours I'm going to need -- although, I'm guessing it'll range somewhere in the double digits.

I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I know some people recommend laser hair removal and then electrolysis for finishing touches, but is this just a waste of money? Wouldn't it be best to go straight to electrolysis and get it over and done with? TS Road Map and Andrea James seem to think so...

Love,

Eva

Guest Sarah Faith

Well to each their own, but Electrolysis takes much much longer. The thing about Laser is if your hair color is too light basically like blonde laser isn't gonna do anything really and then yes it would be a waste of money. I've basically finished laser on my face I had the ideal hair color/skin as well and I have only a few hairs left on my face and those were blonde to begin with and yes I will probably do electrolysis at some point. I know far more people personally that eliminated the majority of their hair with laser and cleaned up with electro then I do who only did electro and they are ALL happy with their results, it's just a matter of if the hair is dark enough for the eat to be absorbed and kill the follicle. :)

Anyways long story short I've had very positive experiences with Laser and I was able to basically clear a very thick coarse beard area to basically soft and smooth in just 6 months. Where as it could have possibly taken me years with electrolysis.

Guest Kontessa

HI Eva,

I have been doing electrolysis for about six months, so far about 3 hours per week, and have been very pleased so far. Unfortunately with all my white hair, lasar was not an option for me. It is best to find someone who is experienced, especially with transwomen because they are familar with how our beards grow. Being experienced they get more hairs per hour, but also charge more (about $90 to $120 per hr). By doing longer sessions - like 3 - 4 hrs - I get a discounted rate. So far she has cleared my face and is working on my neck area now.

I too have been on HRT, for about four plus months, and have noticed a signifcant decrease in my body hair, especially my limbs. True, electrolysis is a long process - will be about 120 to 150 hrs for me - but it is pernament and does the job.

Congratulations on your progress so far. Sounds as thou you are really moving ahead with things. Everyone one of us is different and I know that you will make the right decision for yourself.

Good Luck! Many hugs and best wishes to you, and your loved ones!

Kontessa

• Admin

The only thing that matters is that YOU are satisfied. What others have experienced or prefer is nice to know, but everyone has different needs and different expectations. I hope it works out great for you. Please give us an update after you get started.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback! I think I'm going to stick to the electrologist appointment, since I've already made it and see what happens. If I find it's just getting way too pricey and painful, then I'll go back to laser. Phew, this is a lot more complicated than I had originally anticipated. :P

I don't know what you saw on TSRoadmap.

The general debate as I seen it revolves around permanence of laser. Spending money and then having to do electrolysis anyway.

If one is to pick one or the other, I would say on average Electro far exceeds the typical laser prices unless one has a sparse beard to get removed. Typically it is considered Electro to be at least 100 hours hitting double digits (as a minimum) isn't just a possibility but probability. But maybe there are some who managed single digit number of hours. More typically 200 hours and 400 hours are numbers I hear.

Electro has two good things 1) it has a high permanence rate and 2) you only pay a little at a time.

Electro has three bad things 1) it takes a long time; 2) a long time adds up to lots of money (more than SRS in some cases) and 3) long hours of pain

Laser, generally speaking those who are reasonably good candidates are VERY satisfied with the results. Results come relatively fast compared to electro. And the pain, while it may be intense, is short duration which in my opinion makes it easier to tolerate.

Now the issue with laser has always been permanence. Five years after having laser satisfaction rates are lower because of significant regrowth. I know people who felt it was a total waste of money because virtually all came back over several years.

At one time I was of the opinion that Laser wasn't worth it other than to get some fast results which one then dealt with the regrowth using electrolysis. That opinion was supported in that everyone I knew who were some years past when they had laser had all experienced very significant regrowth. I have since known a few who said none of the hair ever came back.

So as I see it, with laser, you pays your money, take your chances and then electrolysis out anything that doesn't remain permanent. I think if it permanently removes 30% of the hairs, it has paid for itself since electro of that 30% would have cost as much as all the laser treatments. Thus the shorter term benefit is a freebee.

Guest CassieX

I do Electrolysis Twice a week as I have mostly white hair left on my chin with Laser once a month for the upper lip (which is the major owie! area). With laser I know some will come back but its a great way to prep a very sensitive area for electrolysis as there will be significantly less hair there by the time I get to it, upper lip being the last place I will hit with electrolysis. My Tria laser arrived yesterday so I am itching to try it out on my body areas. I will post somewhere down the line once I test how effective it is.

Cassie

Guest LizMarie

There are other options for electrolysis. There are clinics, such as E3000 in Dallas, that do massive sessions (including usage of injected pain killers) and which can remove all of your facial hair in about one year, give or take a few months depending on the density of your beard. I'm told there is a similar clinic in New York city but I am not aware of the name. It would not surprise me to find other such clinics as well.

E3000 will devote two techs to you full time for your first visit there. With the average beard, that's usually at least one full day. In my case, my initial appointment in December is scheduled to be two days, with 2 techs the first day and one tech the second. That will be a full 24 hours of electrolysis in one step. The second appointment will probably be two techs for 1 full day (16 hours). After that we'll have to see how fast the beard is being removed.

But there are definitely ways to get quicker results with electrolysis.