• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Epilating Help Needed

Guest ValerieD

Guest ValerieD

I just bought an epilator because I'm sick and tired of spending an hour twice a week shaving in the shower (in addition to the regular length of my shower routine) and running out of hot water before I can do anything else on those days, especially since the time needed for this will not be sustainable if I get a job or have to move back in with my parents (they don't have nearly enough hot water, and the lighting in their shower is very poor). I was just trying it out on my legs, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than make my skin look like I scraped it - I can make several passes, but the hairs are all still there. What am I doing wrong? I was looking for freedom from an oppressive shave routine, but it looks like all I managed to do was throw $40 down the drain.

• Forum Moderator

That does not sound like the epilator i am used to. Mine rips through hair like a hungry beast. I have to spend some time on areas such as my bony old knees but otherwise it is more like a harvester than a tweezer. Perhaps yours is not adjusted properly and if it is new i would complain.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

After my first which seemed to work well but failed (I think motor burnt out - maybe stress of thicker male hair?) I bought a cheap one (I now only do underarms as I had issues which I could not sort with ingrowing hairs on my legs etc). The cheap one is nowhere near as good as the previous one and also it almost stalls with heavy work but it still plucks Ok, just less efficiently. I would not like to use it on larger areas as I don't think it would cope. It does not give 'scraped' skin.

Tracy

Guest ValerieD

What exactly is "adjusting" an epilator? Mine just has a switch for fast/slow/off. I bought the cheapest one I could find on Amazon. Is it possible that I'm using it wrong or that the hairs aren't long enough? I'm not sure if I should give it another try or not. I want to return it, but have no idea how to do that since I bought it online.

I guess the bigger question now is "how do I make my shaving routine work?". It takes me an hour additional time in the shower (and my morning routine is already 2-2.5 hours long) and I routinely run out of hot water before I'm done even in my apartment; at my parents house, it's flat out impossible to do things properly, not even factoring in the poor lighting there. It's completely unsustainable; the only reason it's worked so far is because my only job after college I didn't need to be at work until 10. I also hate how my hair gets in the way when bending over to shave my legs (it also interferes with shaving my upper arms and chest), and I have a tendency to slice off pieces of my fingernails if I'm in a rush (I also have many shaving scars near my ankles and on my right shin), and I'm always in a hurry because I hate the routine, it takes me too long to get ready as it is, and I'm always in a race against the hot water heater.

• Forum Moderator

For general body hair I use electric shavers - set to very short (~ 0.5 mm) - does not get rid of hair totally but is far less noticeable and I have far less issues with ingrowing hair! Except for the odd spot I don't have issues with shaving scars unless I am careless. (No issues with the hot water either).

Tracy

Guest ValerieD

I gave it another go and it did better when I got rid of the "efficiency cap" and didn't shower first. However, it still leaves a bunch of hairs, and my legs seem to have perpetual small red spots where the hairs were. Also, my skin isn't smooth period, so even with all the hair gone, I still can't get smooth skin. Basically my skin looks about 20 years older than my biological age.

• Forum Moderator

To get a really smooth skin feeling I use all over body cream twice a day. My skin is not too bad without it but I can really tell the difference and it soothes the skin as well after shaving.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 117 Guests (See full list)

• SamC
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • MaryEllen
    • Maddee
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Delaney
    Newest Member
    Delaney

1. Dillon
      Dillon
    2. Kaylee888
      Kaylee888
    3. lily100
      lily100
      (39 years old)
    4. Luce
      Luce
      (44 years old)
    5. Luke.S
      Luke.S
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      What do you do when you feel triggered?
    • Heather Shay
      kind of in a null state
    • Heather Shay
      WEARINESS When stress from adverse or challenging events in life occur continually, you can find yourself in a state of feeling emotionally worn out and drained. This is called emotional exhaustion. For most people, emotional exhaustion tends to build up slowly over time.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Willow
    • April Marie
      Stunning, as always, Maddee!! I love those boots.
    • VickySGV
      I am glad your schools are flush with excess spending money, but that is not the situation here in CA.  Back in 1978 an Initiative and Referendum law was passed that limited property taxes severely and basically cut funding from Property Taxes to pennies of the amounts needed to even minimally fund school districts.  Even the U.S. Supreme Court which upheld the law on Federal and Constitutional grounds nevertheless wryly commented in its decision that the state electorate had lost its collective mind in enacting the law.  Our schools are funded through the State's General Fund which receives other tax sources for creating the entire state budget. The General Fund and the legislature try to give  adequate funding  to the primary and secondary school districts as well as college districts and other obligations all from the same limited funds. There are also strict limits on assessing property taxes that actually prevent them from paying for other services directly affecting property ownership which is their proper place, and so even property related services come from our General Fund. Your property tax money seems to be ear-marked for schools which is wonderful and I hope they use it according to your thoughts, but as said we have a different problem out here in CA.  I love my state but do recognize its short comings.  Point of information, the tax law that is creating problems came from the same small area of the state as the proposed referendum on Trans Youth. 
    • VickySGV
      The numbers of those negatively affected are significant and discouraging, but the good news is that "over half" of Trans youth live in safe states, and such states do exist.
    • Maddee
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Seems like a reasonable agreement.  Seattle stays out of Texas, Texas stays out of Seattle.  Weird that the Seattle hospital had a business license in Texas... 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Seems to me the time and cost is already being spent....on lawsuits.  And schools are absolutely flush with cash, at least around here.  They get enough property taxes, they need to learn appropriate use of funds.  Buy a few less computers and a few more bathrooms, and spend less time on athletics and I'd bet you a hamburger that the issue would be solved in a year.   To me, it seems like the whole bathroom thing is like lancing a boil or a cyst.  A sharp initial pain, and done. People are just resistant to doing it.      I think I could solve most of it...but politicians get too much press off of this to want it solved.   1.  Universal use of individual, gender-neutral, private bathrooms 2.  Universal use of individual, gender-neutral, private spaces for changing athletic clothes 3.  Emphasize co-ed rather than gendered sports.  Focus on physical activity, good sportsmanship, and having FUN.  Lifelong enjoyment, not just competition. 4.  Ban for-profit athletic programs at highschool and college levels, and ban betting/gambling related to athletic programs at educational institutions. 5.  Affirm parental rights consistently, rather than treating it like a salad bar.  That means permitting gender-affirming healthcare with parental consent, AND prohibiting schools keeping secrets from parents.  Adopt the "paperwork principle."  If it is on paper, parents 100% have a right to know about it and be informed on paper, including names/pronouns if such are documented.  If it is verbal only, it is informal enough to be overlooked or discussed verbally if needed.
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.texastribune.org/2024/04/22/texas-trans-health-care-investigation-seattle/     Carolyn Marie
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.