• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Another question about bumps

Guest April63

Guest April63

I've noticed that when I stop shaving my legs I start to get red bumps that last for about two to three weeks. I think it's quite odd. These bumps only appear after I've gone a week or so without shaving. I do get a few bumps while I'm regularly shaving, but I get significantly more after I stop. I wouldn't think they're ingrown hairs or infections, because should I be getting those all over my legs when I'm shaving and not when I stop?

I also tried sugaring last month. It was a little bit of a mess and didn't work out as well as I hoped. I was able to remove some hair from the roots however. Then I got the same bumps all over my legs a week or two later. I'm thinking of trying an epilator next, but I don't want to be getting all of these bumps with that too.

April

• Forum Moderator

I do find with my ingrowing hairs that it takes several days from shaving for them to appear. They do show by red bumps!

Stopping shaving also stops massage / exfoliation. Does this promote ingrowng hair problems with those that would normally break through and not be a problem with regular treatment?

That is my theory but it would be interesting to hear any other ides as at present I think the only way to stop my ingrowing hair problems (apart from shaving very short rather than to the skin surface which is what I do now) would be to permanently lose my hair (maybe hormones but that is a no no at the moment).

Tracy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jamie23

It is most likely irritation.. this happens to me when i shave 'against the grain' meaning the opposite from which the hair is growing, or can be dry skin...

I know this sounds tedious but what can help is always use disposable razors.. a shaving gel.. and shave with the grain... afterwards put a cold towel over your legs and moisturize dailyyy!!

:D

• 2 months later...
Guest christy01

i noticed that i get less bumps when i let the hair get a little long, if i keep shaving when the hair is short i get more, i shave against the grain tho because i noticed that for me its a closer shave than with the grain.

• 2 months later...
Guest Kendra K

What's all the black dots? Definitely not rash, although I definitely get that.

I started as regular shaving, then tried epilating, now am using electric shaver.

The black dots seen to be under the surface. Even when my legs are freshly shaven, they still look like they're not. :(

Guest lingshen

Kendra,

I have the same issue with the black hairs showing under the skin. My hair is particularly dark on my lower leg and its just been unavoidable for me :( (I'm a cis woman by the way). Its annoying but I have no idea how to avoid it other than waxing (ow)