• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Best method of hair removal

Guest wannabefem

Guest wannabefem

Hey all Kate here, I was wondering if anyone else has done this but in terms of hair removal I was planning on getting laser then using electrolysis to get any stragglers. Hopefully this turns out to be cheaper and less arduous than getting straight electrolysis.

Ps. Off topic but I've started gender therapy and it's looking good. I've got a clean bill of mental health and I was told that I'm just stressed. Hopefully this means I can start my transition over the next year.

Regards, Kate.

Hugs and kisses.

Guest Melissa~

The combo laser first, electrolysis cleanup does seem to be the optimum, for both speed and cost. Obviously there are plenty of candidates who just aren't suited to laser. I though I was ideal for laser, yet the efficacy rate was only like 60% of my hair was laser removed. It turned numerous hairs blond/white which then were electrolysis only removal.

A similar process goes on in branding animals where follicles are damaged, but not enough to kill the follicles resulting in white hairs.

Guest LizMarie

I'll agree with Melissa but be sure you have an optimal face for laser - dark hair and light skin. Darker skin or lighter hair can reduce the effectiveness very fast. Laser relies on that pigment differential to transfer heat to the targeted follicles at a faster rate than the surrounding skin. But a good laser tech should be honest with you after examining your face.

Guest Kayla Grace

I've often wondered this as well. I've tried No!No!, and I'm not sure yet, as I annoyingly can't seem to commit to shaving with it 3 times a week. ugh ... I'd better explain.

it says that hair should be about 5-10mm long to be effective - about stubble length - to be effective. you have to also buff it with the cream you're sent. I'm not sure if the cream is needed for it to work, or if it's just for a smooth, polished feeling. It messed up today because I went to an interview, and had to shave ... :l

I did however have a much easier, and almost pain free shave (in my hasty shave a half hour before I went to the interview, I might add :D) this morning, which I think is because the no no was working. something about crystalizing the hair, and making it thinner. that was on treatment number 1. I'll get back to you when I've done treatments 2 and three. i'll probably make a thread about it too once I can confirm that it's worked for me, since I'm willing to bet many others, trans* or not, want their hair gone.

jeez. that was wordy. i hope it's comprehendable. lol

Good luck and God Bless,

Natalya <3

Guest ashleynikole

I did laser first (started in Aug 2013) and did monthly treatments on my face. I had a bit more blonde hair than white hair but the dark hairs went fast. I probably ditched at least 50-60% of my face hair. I had a total of about 12 sessions over the last year.

I started electrolysis in March of 2014 and was doing 2 hour sessions every week until my divorce stopped me in August. I actually got a lot cleared out during that time, but one thing it did do was make the hairs come back darker (I know this because I have dark hairs in areas I never had dark hairs before) which is cool because my laser package came with a 2 yr guarantee that if any dark hairs come back, they'll spot treat them for free. After that, all sessions are $10 for life.

So I am one of those who got good results from laser first and electrolysis to pick up the slack after.

Good luck

Ashley

Guest LizMarie

Laser is going to be very ineffective on light/grey hair, Lesley. That is exactly why I am doing exclusively electrolysis. For me there is no point wasting money on laser. Now, if I were 27 instead of 57, my facial hair was very dark back at that age and would have been an ideal candidate. But now I'm not and I hate to waste money on things.

You'll have to make your decision for yourself but knowing what I know with about 70% grey on my face, I didn't even bother with laser.

Guest LesleyAnne

I hate spending money for things that may or may not work, but I get gullible once in awhile in my zest to get results, thinking I'm saving money.

I bought a Remington IPL hair removal system, and what little dark hair I had left it did a great job, but my face is mostly gray, and the IPL doesn't kill the follicle's that have gray or white hairs. So for me it was basically a waste except for some chest and belly hair that was dark.

For those that have that nice dark youngish hair IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) works pretty well, however the cartridges are finite and run about $30 a piece. And by finite I just mean that they are unpredictable as to how long they'll last before they burn out, and have to be replaced. You may get one leg mileage done out of a cartridge, or just half a leg.....it's very unpredictable.

It seems for us older folks there aren't many choices, so Liz Marie is totally right. :(

Guest Markietoo

Being that I'm 64, most of my facial hair is grey. Started electrolysis about 10 months ago with weekly visits ongoing. Still lots of hairs there but there sure is less than where I started from. Not comfortable at all but if you really want to get rid of those nasty hairs, it's pretty much the only game in town for us older gals. I hope that another year will get most of them dead, dead, dead. Find someone who you're willing to spend a great deal of time with since you will be together a lot. Suffer we must for beauty! Frankly, it stinks but there it is. Good luck Kate.

Markie

• 10 months later...
Guest zoekalanchoe

I've started getting fine hair on my upper lip it's really thin and it's darkening sometimes I wax it or rip it out. I'd never shave it I would suicide if it got any thicker or longer. when I'm 18 I wanna get laser. will it work? thanx :D

Guest Markietoo

Hi Zoe,

if those hairs are dark, laser can work for you but do keep in mind that the ONLY confirmed method of PERMANENT hair removal is still electrolysis. Laser promises hair reduction and many people have great outcomes using it. At your age grey hair shouldn't be a problem so you could start with laser and see the results you get then go from there. Takes a while so be patient and a smooth face is a wonderful thing! Since I had a full beard for many years, my path is a much longer one than yours. 80 hours on the table so far and about half done, one hair at a time. Mostly grey hairs at my age so laser was not an option.

You have your entire life ahead of you so live it with joy in your heart, being true to yourself and to those around you. Take care and best of luck to you.

Markie Anna

Guest otter-girl

I'd just add that if you have strong thick hairs, then the larger electrolysis needle required can have the disadvantage of opening up the pores more. Waiting for HRT to take effect can reduce hair size and allow smaller needles to be used. So many if's, buts and trade-offs.

Rachel