• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Does anyone think that use of Pot is drug abuse

Guest Cyndysub

Guest Cyndysub

Does anyone think that use of Pot is drug abuse. I get depressed sometimes and it vanishes with pot. It often helps me have a more restful nights sleep and with zero hangover or that dragged out feeling the next morning.

Lots of states are starting to see the benefits of Marijauna. Both medically and economically. Like anything, Marijauna can be abused. Do I think that simple useage of Marijauna is abuse? No, absolutely not. I've used it for medicinal purposes for over 25 years now, ok, almost 30 years. I will be glad when our states finally get around to making it legal.

• Root Admin

Like any drug, it can be used responsibly or it can be used irresponsibly. There is a fine line between the two.

MaryEllen

Guest Kayla Grace

IMHO, it really depends. I'll quote vicky. Do you control the it, or does it control you?

From what I can see, it helps you quite a lot. I can't advocate smoking pot because I'm trying to become a police officer, and the law prevents me. But if there were a law I wouldn't want to enforce, it would be the marijuana ban. I would even do it myself if an officer could do it legally, maybe I wouldn't need anti-depressants if I could do pot legally.

From what I've been told, Marijuana has no effect on our physical body. If that's true, we aren't defiling the body we were given, that came with the price of Christ's blood ... Just do me a favor and don't be intoxicated on it more then you need to. If you're wasted on pot every recreational moment you have, I'd consider that abuse. but 2 hours before bed (in case you have a panic attack) doesn't sound too bad to me.

Good luck and God Bless,

Natalya <3

Guest GinaInside

Like any substance, you can use it moderately, and have no ill effects. Or, you can abuse it, and it will hurt you. Occasional use to lift your mood is one thing, but if it gets to where you smoke to feel "normal", you might consider cutting back. Use of Cannabis as an anti-depressant, has been known for thousands of years in China. Here in Oregon, we have MMJ, and I have used it as a pain reliever for old injuries.

How it came to be illegal in the first place, is a long and sordid story of corporate greed, and police power-grab, but it is way past time to end prohibition.

420 :)

I would agree that it depends very much on how often. My first job was at a Liquor store. I have a stocked bar and 2 wine chillers. I may have a drink every week or 2.

On the other hand, an ex-roommate smoked pot. He applied for a job in another city, resigned from his job in LA, packed his things and left. The following week he returned... he had been fired for testing dirty after starting the new job. He couldn't even stop long enough to take a drug test at the new job. After that, the local dealers wouldn't touch him. It took 9 months, and a 20% pay cut for him to get another job.

Use... doesn't mean addiction.... just don't be addicted :)

Kaylee

• Admin

Wow, it sounds like I have posted here quite a bit. and people have listened enough to quote me. Natalya picked me up right and clearly, and others have all hit the really main points I have learned over the centuries.

Pot has the potential to addict certain people the way alcohol or any intoxicant will and it will never addict others. Its a crapshoot on who it will be that is an addict. Science is even more sure that there is a region of the brain that controls who will be an addict than they are about our GD being hardwired in the brain. (I drew a high pair on that gamble, I have both GD and a recovering addiction.)

I have a very rare problem with Pot that keeps me from using it, I am allergic to it as an herb / plant on the ground and have had a bout of anaphylactic shock from inhaling it one time. Not fun to wake up in your college infirmary with an IV in your arm and an O2 mask on your face. Epinephrine used to treat the shock leaves you in a helluva mood before you take a 20 mile ride home on a public bus.

If one joint every now and then takes you out of an INFREQUENT down mood, I don't see a problem, but if the DOWN MOODS get more often and harder, you may want to try a Narcotics Anonymous group for a while and just let the weed go.

I have bad knees from long distance jogging during my previous career, wherein I had a desk job, and wanted to keep the weight off. So for chronic pain in the knees, I use medical marijuana daily in the evening after work. I am under some financial stress right now, and so I also like the euphoric effects (anti-depressant). The only unwanted side effect being the munchies, but that is okay since I ride a bike at work nowadays, so no problem burning the extra calories. :) Sure it can be abused like any drug, but as a whole I think it is far, far, safer than most of the prescription stuff on T.V. ads. Just my opinion, thanks.

Stephanie

Guest aballofquestions

I'm clearly very new on this forum but I noticed this and thought I would post.

First, I will say that I am a very staunch supporter of the legalization of marijuana. Second, I will say that I am a recovering addict and that pot was my drug of choice. Dont get me wrong, I did just about any drug I could get my hands on but pot was always my bread and butter. Eventually that road landed me in a hospital with 2 doctors and 5 nurses standing over me wondering what the hell to do (not from using pot though, dont be misled).

So I will just say that for some people, smoking pot (or injesting it or whatever), is a perfectly normal recreational or medicinal practice. Dont think for a second though that because pot doesnt have many symptoms of physical addiction (also dont believe people who say it doesnt have any) that you cannot be addicted to it. I once had a crack addict tell me he hadnt seen another crack addict feind for crack in the way I would feind for pot...

So you have to ask yourself if substances control your life. I self medicated for a long time too but being properly treated by a psychiatrist was a much better option for me. Can you live without drugs? are you merely convincing yourself that your depression is the reason for your drug use? You may not have a problem, pot may just be a very good medicine for you to take, just try to be honest with yourself.

• Forum Moderator

I used to smoke pot. It was even a drug i enjoyed at times. I found that every drug i used i used to excess. I could never do the single toke i saw others do. Hallucinations were my goal but instead depression slowly took over. You are the only one who can know if you are using any drug as an addict. The difficult thing is that many drugs slowly and subtly gain a need for use rather than a simple occasional use. As an addict i've had to find a path that allows me to accept life without drugs to battle depression etc. I have used anti depressants that my doctor prescribed but have gotten to a point where that is no longer necessary. I think my life has had less depression without any drug than with even the mildest. They only promised relief but produced a dependance.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

Occasional use no, I wouldn't say its abuse. Just like I wouldn't say that a glass of wine with dinner or a cocktail a couple of times a week is alcohol abuse. But as others have mentioned, what it normal intake for one person, could be easily an abusive situation for someone prone to addiction. So as with most things, the answer is, "it depends." Not much of an answer, but that's the best this old cop can do.

Carolyn Marie

Use is definitely not abuse. And from my own experiences, pot isn't addictive like other "drugs". It can be addictive, but no more than TV for example (perhaps even less). I don't really like smoking it myself (I have lung problems) but I can definitely relate about depression... It also helps my pain issues, and it seems to be the only thing my body doesn't have an unreasonable resistance to (even alcohol, I have to drink as much as a hardcore alcoholic would just to get drunk, and I never have been). To me, canabis has always been, and always will be a medicine... but even medicine (especially pain killers or antidepressants) can become addictive, simply because of what they can do for us. Also keep in mind that your body will get used to it over time, requiring you to have to use more and more of it (that's been my experiences anyway, both with myself and with others I've known). So (when I even have accesss to it), I try to do it no more than once a day, if that. If you only do it to help your depression, then you should be fine. If you're depressed every day though... You might want to seek counselling, if you can. I wish you the best :)

Guest Cyndysub

Thanks everyone. I don't use any alcohol mainly because it makes me feel bad. With weed I am not a "Stoner" in any fashion and I am not addicted to it. When I run out there is no panic with me. The only addictive drug that I had a problem with in the past was nicotine but I have been off of that for about 6 years thank goodness. Two or Three tokes a night is plenty for me and I have seen studies that it shows some it has protective features for the lungs something that never could be said about cigarettes. This study took the researchers by surprise because they were not expecting those results from the study.

Thanks Again,

Cyndy

I think it's great you've found good use of marijuana. It has countless medicinal uses.

I don't treat as if its super vital to my day but I do smoke regularly with zero panic when I run dry. It really helps me curb my anxiety and helps me sleep (mr. Insomnia over here) and kills my awful migraines. Great little plant. I see no harm.

The thing to remember about pot is not to use it to run or hide from actual problems. Toke up when abunch of trivial worries won't stop strangling your brain.

One love~

Edited by MaryEllen
Phrase encouraging illegal drug use removed
Guest Cyndysub

Thanks Rashaad,

I try not to hide from problems but face them head on. I am losing weight and when I get to my target I am going to buy a 100% hemp Blouse and pants.

I think that like alcohol, pot does have a large potential to be abused. I tried pot a few times in the 60s and early 70s in college and did not feel anything from it. My drug of abuse was alcohol.

Here in Colorado it has been legal now for around a year and we are seeing some problems that had really not been thought out in my opinion. There has been an issue with edible pot products which have not been regulated as to how much THC they can contain. In one case an adult went berserk and killed his wife. In several other cases both adults and children have unknowingly taken it and ended up in the hospital. There is a fear here that some idiots may give it out as Halloween candy this year.

My personal feeling is that if alcohol is legal pot should also probably be legal but steps do need to be taken to make sure it is kept out of the hands of children.

My hopes for our community that it does not become a crutch to face the world. I know that for me a lot of my alcohol use was directly related to easing my dysphoria both before and during transition.

Mia

One of the major issues I see with pot is that people don't treat it the way they do alcohol. I very strongly feel that if you smoke you should not be driving for an hour or two afteer.

Now to answer your original question wit my two cents... I have been an occasional user for five years. I've actually said no thanks more times than I've smoked it. I will never consider my current use to be abuse.

I think the line between use and abuse is when it becomes something you're dependant on.

However I am also dependant on antidepressants and antipsychoatics so there's that. But they are a positive thing in my life.

Guest Cyndysub

Hi Zayden,

I never drive after smoking it. I only use it at night when I don't have anywhere to drive. Driving stone cold sober is dangerous enough without making it more so by using a drug that alters consciousness.

Mia, I think that there should be regulations on the THC levels in edibles. When I was growing up during the 70's I knew a lot of kids that smoked weed and never saw any freakouts even when people smoked Hash a substance that has really high levels of THC. Whenever I hear that someone on pot freaks out and kills someone I take it with a grain of salt.

Exactly... It sounds like propaganda to me, because ODing on pot only makes one sleep for 12 hours xD Still... You don't put high levels of aspirin or antihistamines in consumables, so people really need to ease up off the gas on this as well. While pot is a lot less dangerous than a lot of OTC medicine, that doesn't mean one can't take it too far. I'm glad you're responsible with it though, and clearly know what you're doing :)

• 1 month later...
Guest saoirse

as said already it can be habit forming . a few tokes a night may be ok but break it up a bit or you may find that its hard to dose off to sleep without a few tokes .

hope this helps

Tara