• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I'm giving up smoking cigarettes, need encouragement

Guest AllisonRae

Keep me posted on your progress!

So far it's been 20 smokeless days, and I could bet the battle is pretty much won already :)

I'm still getting used to just take "breaks" at work instead of "cigarette breaks", but that's it. No craving. No reflex move to roll and lit a cigarette. No anxiety. No nothing. After so many failed attempts over the years, I'm still a bit surprised by how easy it's been.

I think the key, at least for me, is that this time I didn't try to quit smoking. I just quit. Like master Yoda said: "Do or don't. There is no 'try'."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlize

• tracy_j

• Alyssa Deutsch

• gennee

Guest AllisonRae

That is wonderful news Edu, I am so happy for you! I think what you said is so correct, this time with quitting we didn't try, we just did it. I am still going strong and finally got my weight dropping again too! You keep up the great job. I am so excited for us both with this!

Hugs

Allison

• 2 weeks later...

This is mostly a formality, but here it goes: the 1-month milestone is already behind me.

So what'll be next. 2 months? 3 months? You call it, Allison, you'll get there a few weeks before I do. But I'll get there no matter what :P

(smokeless) hugs,

Edu

Guest AllisonRae

Hi Edu, Congratulations on passing the one month point, very well done!

My big stumbling block has always been the 3 month mark or 3 month barrier as it feels to me. This time I am planning to pass it by without any problem as I am sure you will too! We are doing this!

(Smoke Free!)Hugs,

Allison

Almost all of my previous attempts had failed within 3-4 days at most. There was one attempt, however, that lasted quite a while (possibly two or three months, can't remember for sure). The only reason I went back to smoking was because I thought "if I could quit once, I can quit again" :doh1: . I'm not gonna do something that stupid again. This time I know it and I feel it: I'm not going to smoke a cigarrete ever again. I'm free :D

And I'm sure you'll go through that barrier of yours without any issue. Also, you ain't alone this time ;)

Hugs,

Edu

I'm coming up on one year free of the stinkies. I kinda cheated though, I vape now. I still get my nicotine fix, and that's a good thing as it helps me with my social anxiety issues. I can breathe much better. My house doesn't stink, it smells like a bakery now. And there are so many flavors of e-juice that are absolutely yummy. No more stinky ciggies for me. :)

I have an e-cig I bought over a year ago, which proved to be useful for a while (I didn't count that as an attempt because I was still relying on nicotine), and this time I purchased a flavored but nicotine-less recharge. Useful early in the month when I came back to work from my holiday vacation, but haven't used it anymore for over two weeks :P So I'm 100% clean. Anyway, while vapeing isn't 100% healthy, it's almost negligible compared with cigarettes.

Hugs,

Edu

Guest AllisonRae

I have had lots of practice at quitting. Typically if I made it to a month I would fail before I got to my third month. I have learned the acronym NOPE(not one puff ever) are words to live by. Like you, this time I am free. And it is good to know that this struggle is shared and yet too will be the victory.

Hugs,

Allison

I've got a nice update: I did some empirical checking over last week and gathered some nice data:

My walk from home to work used to take between 30 and 32 minutes (I used to time it because I tried to get the most sleeping time without being late). Over the last week, my times have been quite consistent between 26'10" and 26'40".

That's over 15% average walking speed increase, which I'm still astonished about (plus five extra sleeping minutes for free!). It's only been 40 days, and there are already measurable health benefits.

Hugs,

Edu

• Forum Moderator

That is wonderful Edu. Keep up the good work. Smoke free is a great way to be!

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest AllisonRae

Hi all, Just a quick note about weight gain after quitting, it does not have to happen. I am going on my second month of quitting and through excercise and diet have lost about 10 lbs! Please do not get frustrated with weight in the first month, my weight barely changed during that month and I started exercising on my quit day. Just remember you can do this!

Hugs,

Allison

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JODYGIRL

way to go girls.does help a lot when you have something more imoportant to work for.little stepsbut once you conquer this it makes the other things a little easier. iv quit smoking, drinking, drugs. im running out of things to quit lol. keep at it and soon it will be just normal to say no.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest princesstess

Definitely hormones and cigs are a bad combination. Heck cigs themselves are not good not to mention $$$ I quit 28 years ago using self-hypnosis tapes.

Guest AllisonRae

Hello Everyone! I am at a very important personal milestone today. I am officially 3 months smoke free!!! This is the first time I remember making it this far without stumbling or giving in to nicotine addiction. I am feeling really jubilant right now. I know I can never let my guguard down concerning this habit but I know I am through the worst of it. I have also lost nearly 20 lbs too since I quit. Just want to thank my friends here for there support and encourage those who want to quit or are in the early stages that you can do this. Okay now its yor turn to hit the 3 month threshold Edu. I will be back at 6 months with a new status update and anyone else that needs support and encouragement feel free to post to this thread. And fyi, I smoked for 24 years

Hugs,

Allison

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations! 3 months is an amazing amount of time but just the beginning of a healthy life. I have to remember that every so often my mind will try to convince me that i could have a drag or two or perhaps just one. I have to remember that as an addict one has always led to cartons and that would be the result now. If i can just not have that first one i can make it for a lifetime.

Hugs,

Charlize

Congratulations, Allison!

Okay now its yor turn to hit the 3 month threshold Edu.

Hey, don't rush me, I'm going as fast as I can :P No matter what I try, it seems that I'm always half a month behind you ^^' Nevermind, I'll hit that milestone, and every other one, in due time. So far I've already surpassed every previous attempt; and I know this is a one way journey: I'm never falling for that again :P

Hugs,
Edu

:score::groupwavereversed::score:

Congratulations to both of you.

You both have managed to reach milestones in your quitting.

I agree with Charlize. After 25 years I, as well, must remind myself that I am unable to stop after just 1.

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

Guest Mickey

I was just doing the math this morning. I smoked for 32 years, 20+ of those years at a pack a day. I started vaping for my nicotine fix on Dec. 31, 2013, and had my last puff on a stinky cig this time last year. I vape for my nicotine and it help with my social anxiety, related to my physical dysphoria. I can smell things again now, and my taste has returned. Flavors and smells are so wonderful now. My house no longer smells like an ashtray, it smells like a bakery. :) I like the different flavors of ejuice, I love all the cake and custard and cream and all the other wonderful desert type flavors. Your milestones come the same way mine did, one day at a time. :)

Guest Chris546

I used to be a smoker also, I had made many attempts to quit over the years. This last time I quit becuase I did it to work on my voice, I guess it was that important or I was really ready to did it because it was easy this time. I have tried almost every nicotine gimmik out there and really don't have any tips none worked for me. The gum worked the best out of all of them but even on that returned to smooking after a few months. This last time I did it cold turkey and I don't get the cravings like I did feeding the nictoine machine.

I Hope you have Great Success!!!

Guest shell_koleva83

Hi,

I'm happy for your first victory! You got the power to stop smoking and I'm sure that you will succeed in this task. You make the first steps... So don't give up and continue! YOU CAN DO IT!

:thumbsup: We believe in you! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't normally stay up this late on a weekday, but the occasion was worth an exception. Roughly about now (give or take a couple minutes) I'm hitting the 3 month milestone :)

Hugs,

Edu

Guest Sarah1967

Congrats :) I use to be a smoker too I quit Jan 7th 2014 an I feel lots better an I don't want them anymore an since I'm on HRT is was best that I quit smoking..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 100 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online