• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Glee

• Forum Moderator

It seemed they are approaching the topic with respect and i'm glad that is the case. It does seem that many are jumping on the acceptance bandwagon but i won't try to push anyone off. Hopefully it may make the lives of many easier and more fulfilling. Time will tell.

Hugs,

Charlize

Idk to me it seems like all these shows sudden "acceptance" has more to do with it being trendy and cool than any actual understanding. They think they're being accepting by making us visible, and being nice, which I guess is a good first step - any exposure that's not a sex worker or butt of a joke is good - but I just don't particularly enjoy the non-trans perspective of what being trans is.

I guess my beef is all the shows with trans characters at the moment just are like "yay! Here's a trans person" boom. Inclusive. Done. LOOK. STARE. Trans person. Aren't they they coolest, strongest, person in the world? See that attitude? Boom let's win an Emmy now because we're a show about trans people. They get to walk the line between being a show about trans people without ever actually being about trans people and then use the defense that it's for cis people when ever questioned. It feels like they're broaching the topic of being trans because it gets them acceptance and diversity points and accolades - without them ever having to take the responsibility.

At no point is it even being acknowledged just how truly painful it is. While I understand that the goals of these shows aren't to give a trans perspective, just to be inclusive, it's so annoying to me to see being trans portrayed as just something someone decides to do on a whim - or just a casual thought in the back of their mind. It's so flighty, warm and cuddly. Can there be at least be an acknowledgement of the fact that most trans people are in fact seriously depressed, nearly broken (at some point or another) individuals who are facing really, very difficult struggles? Struggles much more complex and harder than passing, and bathroom drama. Internal struggles than are nearly debilitating at their worst. It's not all warm and cozy, "I'be felt like wearing pink all my life"

I see zero acknowedgement in the media right now that being trans hurts and to me that's sorta the essence of the experience. So currently, I guess I should at least applaud the effort for acceptance in the sense of "trans people exist and we should treat them nicely". But I won't be doing any serious clapping until the real acceptance kicks in - the one that acknowledges the pain, that our reasons are anything but frivolous. Considering we barely even see that for lgb stuff it'll probably be a while.

In the meantime go collect those self-congratulatory awards. Yay look how accepting we are.

• Forum Moderator

I am not an expert and know little about the gay scene but I think it likely that a lot of the general acceptance of gay people came to be when the subject was brought out into the public domain.

It opened the floodgates a little and it was found that it was more common to be gay than most people thought. To most people, gay people are now openly accepted, but I think easier to understand. There is also some oversensitivity / reaction to gay issues.

This may well happen with us.

The only thing that concerns me a little is that trans people generally look more obvious (at least in their early stages of progress) than gay. I have been told that by my partner that she would be less concerned if I were gay as it would not look so obvious.

I welcome the TV shows / drama such that trans issues and people are not regarded as unusual. In my opinion I would be wary of too much coverage of the real issues as it may imply that trans people should be pitied rather than accepted but obviously the odd true life drama would be good.

Tracy

• Admin

I won't prejudge what this story line will be like, or how well the actress plays the role. Only time will tell that. With a show like this, especially, the limitations on how much they can show are great. This is one story arc among many, one character among many, and so the level of detail about this person's life will be small, and limited mostly to their time in school talking to the other characters.

Kira, I agree that it seems that we are the "flavor of the month" and every producer wants to have a trans character on their show. I agree that it is taking advantage of a "trending" story. That has always been true of television, both in drama and comedy. We are just the latest news story to be incorporated into a series. So I am not insulted or feel demeaned in any way. It's the way T.V. works. What matters is how well its done. The days when we are portrayed as victims or deranged criminals seems to be over, and that is a direct result of the efforts of GLAAD and TG community activists.

One thing I welcome about this story arc, and Maura's character on "Transparent," is that they portray ordinary, unglamorous people, the type that make up 90 percent of our community, rather than the beautiful actresses and models and celebrities that have been in the news in recent years. That is a big step forward, IMO. When the non-trans world understands that we are just like everyone else, and exist in every walk of life, that will be a great day for us. If shows like this can play a role in making that happen, I welcome it.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Sarah Faith

I'm pretty much going to stick to the stance Ive had with every single trans storyline on TV, or Trans themed show... with a giant eye roll. Really not impressed with the transmania going on in the media. I guess having lived it I really just don't find it all that entertaining to see it play out on TV. Really the more I see these storylines on TV, the more trite that they feel to me. So I guess I share Kira's opinions on this it's tendy, its a flavor of the half decade, and too many writers/producers/whatever think they are being oh-so-clever by implementing these storylines into their shows. I am just not impressed at all. It's just a ratings grab so whatever.

My stance on this is the same as my stance on all the hero worship towards Trans-celebrities; I am just not at all impressed. The people that impress me are the everyday people who manage to fight and claw their way through where ever they started, grow as individuals, break out of the idiotic stereotypes. The everyday trans people who don't already have the resources in place to make transition possible, but figure it out anyways and make it despite all the odds.

Maybe when they have a show that demonstrates the real economic hardships the majority of transitioners face rather than focusing more on the social backlash or the expected social support with a vague sense of transition... Maybe then my opinion would change. I've got too many friends who are trans who have turned to either adult entertainment or at one point or another outright prostitution due to the economics younger trans face for me to find these ratings grabs/feel good BS storylines even remotely entertaining or encouraging.

If only it were so simple for many young adults who are trying to transition to just be able to say "I am seeking medical treatment for my gender dypshoria, and I am starting the treatments next week" (from said episode of glee) and have it be that simple.. The population at large have no clue how many struggle just even scraping enough cash together in order to even start HRT.. much less the huge cost of top surgery.

Don't get give me that "Oh but some health insurances cover that now!" Well that's nice, the majority of young adults still cannot afford, or do not have health insurance. I literally don't know a single person that I go to college with that has health insurance. So yeah until they stop rehashing the same type of situations and start really giving the public an idea of just how much hardship many young transitioners face today, I'm going to have a hard time applauding any of this garbage.

I've been saying for years trans has become fashionable. Trans is the new gay.

Think back to the 90s when gay was fashionable. Even to the point I recall a celebrity or two claimed to be gay but later it was found that they weren't quite as gay as claimed.

This awareness stuff benefits those who want to live an openly transgender lifestyle, and those transitioners who temporarily seeing it as a solution to social angst (their opinions may differ post transition.

It tends to work against those who see being trans as a transitory state till they get in the new gender role and don't wish to identify as trans anymore.

The trans narrative portrayed in these shows to date kind of mix the two very different narratives making these two seem the same. And it isn't surprising really given the way the community conflates the two.