• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

'Transparent' Streaming Free Today

Guest Jamie61

I watched the first 4 episodes so far. I can really relate to the parent. The things she's going through I experienced. This is very well done. Although the show is R to X rated, and there is a lot of sex and drugs, especially in the first episode. It's taken me about 3 to 4 episodes to start understanding the children. I will try and get through the whole season today. The episodes are only 30 minutes long.

Jenny

Guest Jamie61

I watched a few episodes and I guess you could say this is the 'hollywood version'... I think the exposure aspect is one thing (potentially beneficial) but the overall message is blurry. Although the main character's point of view is supported, the adult children are sleeping around so much that the overall impression is one of promiscuity. I fear people may associate this behavior due to the father being transgender. There was a little character development showing that this wasn't all exactly new behaviors for the kids but that image is fading as the episodes become more and more sexualized.. I vote 'nice try' but 'no' ( so far). I hope it gets better and the stage is set for redemption you might say ( at least in my mind).

Just my 2 cents,

Jamie

I watched a few episodes and I guess you could say this is the 'hollywood version'... I think the exposure aspect is one thing (potentially beneficial) but the overall message is blurry. Although the main character's point of view is supported, the adult children are sleeping around so much that the overall impression is one of promiscuity. I fear people may associate this behavior due to the father being transgender. There was a little character development showing that this wasn't all exactly new behaviors for the kids but that image is fading as the episodes become more and more sexualized.. I vote 'nice try' but 'no' ( so far). I hope it gets better and the stage is set for redemption you might say ( at least in my mind).

Just my 2 cents,

Jamie

I've just seen the first 7 episodes and feel sorry for the transparent having such insensitive misbehaved children. I wish the series was more based in reality instead of sensationalism. I don't know a family who has a dysfunctional family like this one. I guess it's a start but could be much better. If I wanted to watch a drama with a dysfunctional family I can watch the Kardashians.

I just finished watching all 10 episodes of Transparent. I wanted to see it for obvious reasons. Even though there is a trans parent, that isn't the main theme of the series. I believe they wanted to show a very dysfunctional family and how they are healing. By the last episode I found it had promise. It's all about growing relationships, and watching the family grow kind of got to me. There isn't as much sex and drugs at the end. It has promise, but it being a trans series is misleading. That's only one of the story lines. The series follows the entire family.

I rate it about a 6 out of 10. That takes into account a start of about 2.5 for the first episode to a 7.5 for the last. I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Jenny

• Forum Moderator

I have just watched the first episode.

Even though it shows potential and I could relate in some ways I must admit from this side of the Atlantic it seems somewhat American in taste (please accept my apologies but there is a difference).

As I am not keen generally I would watch the full series but am not too dispireted missing it

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

I am glad to see that we are reviewing this series. While the patriarch transitioned the plot is much more involved with the selfish sexual adventures of her children than her own transition. Perhaps it is true to some folks experience but my son's reaction was so much more difficult and much less self involved than to blame sexual encounters on his fathers transitions.

I do wish they had shown an encounter with a gender therapist, so much of our journey is available in one session with a good GT. I was also disappointed to see the casual use of HRT portrayed when there was such a good opportunity to show the dangers there. Was the trans* person in the wheelchair paralyzed but a stroke caused by the consumption of illegal unmonitored E?

It was in short a shallow attempt with some stronger points. I liked the name Moppa that the daughter came up with and only wish it had been used in the scene at the ladies room.

In short i wouldn't have watched it if the weather hadn't been lousy. As a rating i'll go a step lower than Jennifer and give it a 5. It was almost worth watching, but that is the case with many sitcoms.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 2 years later...

I love Transparent. I can understand if not everybody loves it but I surely do.

The characters are all complex and interesting, I love the story telling, the flashback scenes and the protagonist does a really good job (I love Maura btw, a great woman). Sure, the show is not the best but it has great humor and has its own personal touch, if you know what I mean. I laugh, I cried, I share their happiness and their worries. The family is really dysfunctional but honestly my family isn't that great either. Actually I think we're worse than they are in some points so I think it's not that unrealistic. And I love that many transgender people work on the show, it's really awesome. I know that many people are displeased by the fact that Maura is played by a cis man but I disagree. It's pre transition and they were concerned about that when a trans woman has to pretend a man pre transition that it would recall dysphoria. "Orange is the new black" had also this concern with Laverne until her twin brother decided to play her pre transition. If I would have to play a woman I think it would recall my dysphoria so I think it's not that bad that they decided for a cis man to play the role. Also the writers wanted to show every phase of their actually trans parent's life and Jeffrey Tambor remained them of their parent.

The only minus point I might have is a little too much sex scenes in the first episodes but I saw worse and it gets better so I accept it. And I don't like the music so much. Just not my music.

So my personal rate is 8,5/10 and I rate it so high not because it's an amazing show or it does that or this but because it gives me feels. And for me, only this is important. If a TV show doesn't give me feelings it's not worth my time.

Love and hugs, :alien:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 109 Guests (See full list)

• Miss Cormac
    • VickySGV
    • Susan R
    • MaybeRob
    • awkward-yet-sweet
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

taxicab
    Newest Member
    taxicab

1. Amyjay
      Amyjay
      (58 years old)
    2. bettyjean
      bettyjean
    3. Breanna
      Breanna
      (52 years old)
    4. Emily Ayla
      Emily Ayla
    5. JET182
      JET182
    • Susan R
      Love it! This is great news. We need more of this to combat the excessive hate-filled rhetoric and misinformation. 👍
    • Susan R
      The experience was the same for me @April Marie. I slept much deeper and I woke up each morning feeling so much more restful sleeping with forms solidly in place. For me, wearing breast forms at night started when before I was a teenager. I had no access up to modern breast forms and certainly no way to buy mastectomy bras back then. I wore a basic bra my mom had put in a donation box and two pairs of soft cotton socks. I have some crazy memories of things I did in my youth to combat my GD but regardless, these makeshift concoctions helped me work through it all.   All My Best, Susan R🌷
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Colorado isn't exactly a Republican place, and won't become one anytime soon.  I think those folks might be better off not spending their time playing Don Quixote.    We certainly have our share of California "refugees" moving into where I live, so I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Coloradans too.  I suspect the trend over the next few years will see the blue areas getting more blue and the red areas getting more red as anybody who can relocate tries to find a place where they fit better.   
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Well, at least it'll be a place some folks could choose.  Options are a good thing.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      My family would have gobbled that jar up in a minute or two.  When we do have pickled herring, its usually for Christmas.  I didn't grow up with that particular dish, but I grew up in a Greek family so I like just about any kind of fish if I can get it.  However, ocean fish and freshwater fish taste so different.  We usually have more catfish and tilapia to eat than anything else.    What I can't quite get used to is the tons of cabbage my GF insists on eating.  When you live with a Russian, there is always cabbage soup.  Always.  When I first moved in with her, breakfast was "shchi" for soup and either bread or "kasha" which is a bowl of boiled buckwheat with butter and salt.  Those dishes can be made in any number of ways, some are better than others.  In the winter, it can even be salty and sour like kraut.  Not exactly sauerkraut, but packed in tubs with vinegar and salt so it keeps partially for the winter.  But I drew the line when the cabbage soup included pieces of fried snake one day.  😆
    • Ashley0616
      Good evening to you as well @Mmindy   That is awesome that you have support from her side. My dad has communicated with me once and that was because he was forced to. His new wife wanted to spend time with my kids. He hated me so much he was in the process of taking my rights away as a parent to my two boys. He was talking to a lawyer and I called him out on it. I don't love him at all. I'll respect him because I wouldn't be here without him but I wished I had another father. My uncles don't talk to me and unfriended me on Facebook. Almost all cousins except for two are still Facebook friends but they don't give me any support. My mom said she won't support me with that but she has said that she loves me. I have nieces and nephews that are still Facebook friends but they have yet to talk to me. I have one sister that supports me out of three. The other's disrespect me by deadnaming me. They have never called me their sister. I think for them they think it's still a phase. They don't ask questions about me being trans. I have to bring it up and on the look of their faces they don't look comfortable about it. 
    • Mmindy
      Good evening @Ashley0616,   I just got offline with HP tech support trying to get my printer tool box icon locked to my tool bar. This is one of the most important features of my printer that I like because it keeps track of ink, paper, and scanned documents. I'm diffidently not a computer geek.   I'll catch up with the other bookmarks next week. We leave to go home for the Easter Holiday with our families. Saturday with her side, and Sunday with my side. What's odd about that is I'm out to more of her side and they're reluctantly supportive. My side on the other hand are less supportive, and my sister just under me in age will not acknowledge my being there. She will be constantly moving to keep from dealing with me. I'm dead to her.   Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋  
    • Ashley0616
      I used to follow baseball and the team I would cheer for is Boston Red Sox. My favorite player was Papi. He was an awesome guy and even held a child during the National Anthem. I haven't watched baseball for a long time. It just died off to me. 
    • Ashley0616
      That stinks that nothing transferred, and no bookmarks were saved! 
    • Ashley0616
      I'm doing patches for now but I think soon I'll go to shots because it's hard to alternate when you are doing two xx patches at once. Unless she gives me Estradiol and progesterone
    • Sally Stone
      Go Cleveland Guardians!  I love baseball and I loved playing it when I was younger.  
    • Sally Stone
      My view is we are "dependent" on government, because as a society, we are too lazy to stay actively involved. So, we let politicians do our bidding for us.  I think we'd be in a better place government wise if we policed the actions of our politicians.  We elected them; they work for us.  Sadly, we are allowing them to run amok.  We are where we are because we have chosen to let politicians make all decisions without us.  Remember "by the people, for the people?" That was the intent of our democracy.  Today, however, it is "by the politicians, for the politicians," the people be damned. 
    • Mmindy
      "Play Ball! Batter Up!" is the closing line of the National Anthem as far as I'm concerned. It's the call of the Home Plate Umpire and signals the start of the game. I grew up in the TV and Radio broadcast of the St. Louis Cardinals. Harry Caray, Jack Buck, Tim McCarver, and Mike Shannon, were the voices on my transistor radio. KMOX 1120 AM pushing 50,000 watts of Class A clear-channel non-directional signal. It could be picked up all across MO, IL, IN to the East. KS, OK, CO to the West. IA, MN to the North, and KY, TN, AR to the South. There has always been a rivalry against the Chicago Cubs, in the National League. As for the American League, I have to pull for the Kansas City Royals. I've also been a Little League Umpire, and fan of everything the Little League stands for. Going to Williamsport, PA and seeing the Little League World Series is in my top 10 things to do on my bucket list.   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Mmindy
      Good evening everyone,   I don't think my mother ever cooked a meal that I didn't like. We also had a kitchen where mom fixed the food, dad filled your plate, and you eat it. It wasn't until our baby brother was born that we could have Pop-Tarts for snacks. Before that all snacks had to meet mom's approval, and in her opinion wouldn't prevent you from eating supper.   Well my day started off on a good note, but has become frustrating because my IT person didn't transfer my saved videos I use for teaching. Then I found out that they didn't save any of my book marks for websites I use frequently.   Best wishes, stay motivated,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • MaeBe
      The number is relative to method of deliver, the time of the dose, and when the blood is drawn. However, I do want to keep away from DVT and other potential issues. I assume I may be getting backed down from my current dose, but my doc told me to stick with the higher dose, so? I also wonder if this has anything to do the my breast growth and mental changes that have been happening over the past few years, like I have some estrogen sensitivity so a little goes a long way or something? I don't have enough data to postulate, but who knows!   With weekly, subcutaneous, shots you expect to see big swings of serum level estradiol from shot to peak to trough. My doctor is interested in mid-week testing (for E and T levels only), which would be post-peak blood serum levels but they will be higher than trough. Most, if not all, resources I've seen online is to measure at trough (which I might do just to do it next time) along with a SHBG, LH, and other metrics.   This is from transfemscience.org for Estradiol valerate in oil, which is very spiky compared to some other estradiol combinations. It's also for intramuscular, which will have a slower uptake and is usually dosed in higher volume due to the slower absorption rate from muscles. They don't have subcutaneous numbers, which I would expect to see similar spikes but higher levels at similar doses due to the relatively higher absorption rate direct from fat.   Are you doing pills, shots, or patches? And when you do get your levels checked are you getting that done when your levels are lowest or some other time?
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.