• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Not sure how to help

Guest Andrea_Heilotes

Guest Andrea_Heilotes

A very close friend of mine (and housemate) has a bit of a problem with a drug habit she had. She tells me she's been clean for 2 years but now, all of a sudden, she's wanting to use again.

I don't know what to do. I have no experience with this type of situation. I want to help her so much, but don't know how and I'm pretty terrified of what happens if she starts using again.

Any advice?

Continuing to talk is good, glad you are there for her. I'd recommend an AA meeting, local and in person if possible, online if not.

Focus on getting thru tonite sober, don't sweat the big picture right now

-keep the communication open

-focus on getting thru tonite, don't sweat the big picture

-find an AA or na meeting, local to you if possible, online if not

• Forum Moderator

Andrea if she wants help AA and NA are great. You can find a meeting easily on line. Just google either one. Usually there are more AA meetings but many meetings will help anyone with an addiction.

Your friend may not want help however. Many addicts are very resistant to help. Hopefully that is the not the case but if it is there is little you can do. As an addict myself i know that i have to open the door to help or nothing other than jail, hospital or death will get me sober once i start.

If she uses please take care of yourself first.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

Even if you are not an addict or chemical abuser, you can go with people to OPEN meetings of 12 step groups, I have a meeting where that happens frequently, and some of the "sheep herders" as one old coot calls them are really great.

• 1 month later...
Guest Naatie

Keeping people busy or even giving them company whilst they want to cope or are out of drugs is appreciated;

Despite their temper. Know that you are doing them great good.