• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I'm starting to think to think that maybe I'm intersexed

Imaginary Spiders

Hi!

I recently began to accept myself as transgendered. I have had gender identity issues since age 4. They never went away, but got more severe for the most part. I was assigned male at birth. I have always sort of thought I may have too much estrogen in my body. I've always sort of felt feminine. I knew I was different than the other boys growing up.

So here are some of the reasons why I think I may be intersexed. There are also some other interesting things which may or may not be applicable. Before being born my parents were told I would be female. Then when I was born I came out male and weighed 5 lbs. I was always very small throughout childhood. I began to enter puberty at age 11. I had a moustache at age 10. The rest of my facial hair came in at age 20, but it only grows below the chin and I have side burns. I had all of my adult teeth including wisdom teeth at age 12. I stopped growing at age 13.

I am about 5"8 150 lbs. I didn't have male body hair until I was about 18 and suddenly had a few chest hairs at age 24. I'm now 25. My male parts are perfectly normal. Also I have a female pelvis and female carrying ratio and an androgynous chin. It really does not have the male or female shape and my mandible is smaller like a female. I am also smaller than all of my male relatives and many of my female relatives including my mother. As a child and even now to some degree people think I am sort of feminine. In school up until age thirteen I use to get in arguments with students because they insisted I was a girl and that I was lying about being a boy. So am I intersexed or just transgendered?

Thanks!

talk to your doctor about a blood test this will tell u a lot that said what u feel in your heart will tell u more about what u feel more than a blood test only u know what this is no mater u pick be happy

Guest Kayla Grace

I'd agree with Kim. You could be XY ... Or whatever that's called. Soliloque knows more about the chromosomes then I do.

We can't really tell you of you're trans or intersexed unfortunately. Its something you have to figure out for yourself.

I'm told one will know almost immediately if they're trans when they start hormones. I personally didn't feel different when I started them ... But I think I "began hrt" before o even started hormones. Its really difficult to explain ... I can only speculate that my brain began producing its own hormones after I accepted that I was born to be a girl.

Thanks for the answers. They have been helpful. I'm still in the process of trying to figure out what I am. I really wish I had tried this sooner, but then I guess we all do. For some reason or another I've always sort of thought I might be intersexed for quite sometime. Not exactly sure why. I always sort of thought that maybe I had female impulses because I had too much estrogen in my body. I know for certain I am not cisgendered. I can tell you that. I really don't want to be labeled male. I am starting to get more annoyed when people refer to me as being male. I have always sort of liked being called female pronouns. Also at the same time I don't want to be labeled female. I really don't like the binary two gender system. I'm some other gender. I was thinking a lot about this today of course. When I'm in my male identity I definitely don't feel male. I think I feel agendered. I have never really put forth any energy in presenting myself as male. When I'm in my female identity I feel absolutely feminine and am having a really hard time going back to my male identity when I do so. I feel that if I had the opportunity to dress female all the time I would. Also at the same time my female identity is bit of a gender rebel too. In that identity, I don't really want to be labeled just female. But I really love that identity. Maybe I'm a gender queer or something. I don't feel that I'm bigendered really. I really like being female, but I don't want SRS or HRT because I feel that they would get in the way of me properly expressing my gender identity. So my first step was saying to myself that it's okay to be different. All these years I thought I was some sort of monster for not wanting to be a cisgendered male. Now I'm experimenting like I should have a long time ago.

Thanks again!

Here's a list of bodily characteristics that are collectively known as "eunuchoid habitus".

* long, slender arms and legs

* a leg length that's significantly greater than the height of your upper body (the two should be about equal in men)

* an armspan 3cm or more greater than your height.

* sparse or very fine body hair

* a female "escutcheon" or pubic hair pattern (like an upside down triangle and confined to the pubic region)

* difficulty building upper body muscle

* feminine facial features and a generally feminine appearance (soft chubby features rather than hard muscular ones; gracile bone structure etc).

* gynecomastica

* other things such as female digit ratio (index finger equal to or longer than ring finger); absence of acne as a teenager; long, luxuriant eyelashes and comparatively small, high arched feet (in my case anyway).

This type of body structure is caused by having below normal male testosterone levels during childhood and puberty, and is something that's usually associated with intersex conditions. Although it doesn't seem to get talked about very much, my impression has been that way more MTF trans people have this type of body structure than do the cis male population. There's also a number of studies showing the reverse thing, that FTMs have a very high incidence of PCOS and hyperandrogenism (conditions associated with above normal female T production).

Laura, welcome to the self discovery journey! The self acceptance is just lovely, life changing stuff. Like Kayla alluded to, mentally I had a great start to transition prior to hrt.

I understand about not feeling male in "male mode", it was generally not an easy place for me. Agendered or angered. Not at all Comfortable In Skin (what cis really means :)

And the Dr's visit is great advice, but my first move was a good therapist.

Thanks for the answers. I did some measurements and so forth. I put a yes or no next to each item signifying whether it applies to me.

*Long, slender arms and legs-YES

*Arm span 3 CM or greater than your height-YES

*Leg length significantly longer than length of upper body-YES

*Sparse or very fine body hair-NO

*Female pubic pattern-NO

*Difficulty building upper body muscle-YES

*Feminine features etc.-To some degree

*Gynecomastica-No

*Female digit ratio-No

*Absence of acne-No

*Long luxuriant eyelashes-Yes

*Small feet-NO

5/12

Guest Kayla Grace

Technically the traits you have doesn't matter. You can really pick and choose which gender you want to be, and cater your body to your liking. If you feel like both genders... Well, I'm not an expert at that XD

I agree with you on that. At this point I identify as a transgender woman, but I feel I can be any gender(s) I want to be. It was a month ago today that I admitted it to myself after many years of secretly knowing.