• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

For Those That Are Borderline Prediabetic.

Cosmo

All my life I have had an insatiable uncontrollable appetite. I could eat a full supper and continue to eat until I went to bed and the hunger would frequently wake me up during the night. I was convinced I had an eating disorder. Needless to say I was overweight and still am.

My new current doctor commented that I was prediabetic from the blood panel results and come back for an a1c test. That test was borderline at best. So I did a lot of research.

Turns out there is a lot of good research out there from reputable sources that are putting their borderline patients on Metformin. Even though this group is not diabetic by definition, we can have extremely high sugar spikes for several hours after eating which is when onset of typical diabetic damages can start.

The liver can produce to much glucose. The pancreas can be working overtime to make insulin. Excess insulin creates hunger. Metformin down regulates these 2 process and controls how the liver utilizes carbs plus it does something good to how fat is deposited.

I started the med on Sunday night because I have Monday off. My stomach was a bit unhappy for a couple of days, woke up with a strong metallic taste in my mouth the first night and made frequent trips to the john but everything is back to normal. If you know more about taking medicine than what your doctor writes on the script you'll have a rough go with this med. The great thing is since Sunday night I have lost 6 pounds with no effort to cut back on eating. I've eaten till I'm full, just less and have not felt hungry for several hours or more. I just hope these are permanent effects that stay with me.

If you're part of this group read up about it and talk to your doctor.

• Admin

I have Type II diabetes and Metformin is an old friend. I did not know it was used for the Borderline Diabetic crowd however. There is a long acting and a short acting type formulation. I was given my choice on the two, and found that some of the known side effects were less with the long acting Metformin. See what your doctor wants you to use, but if he asks you ---!!

• Admin

Some very good advice there, Cosmo. Thank you. Like Vicky, I am a long time Type II diabetic and have used Metformin for most of that time. It's a good medicine. There are many more tools in the doctor's tool box now than there were when I was diagnosed. I'm on a brand new and fantastic med myself now, one that has allowed me to cut back on my use of insulin and lose weight in the process.

Diabetes is not a barrier to transition, if that is your goal, but it can complicate matters and makes for a higher risk of side effects of HRT. For pre-diabetics and diabetics, it is essential that your endo be informed of what you are planning or doing.

Carolyn Marie

I would always ask my former health care provider at blood draw time to make sure to check for diabetes. Always came back negative. I was drinking 2 gallons of water a day and would eat continously not because I wasn't full, sometimes I was uncomfortably full but I was still hungry, no, I was starved.

Never said anything to my current provider and all of sudden she worried about prediabetes, wants me to lose weight and I can't. I start researching and come up with all these research papers about treatment of borderline prediabetics with metformin to prevent the progression to diabetes but more importantly stop the beginnings of typical diabetes. The more I read, the more interesting it became. Eventually I began connecting the dots. Abnormally high insulin levels creates a hunger that can't be satisfied. Duh, that's me.

I sent her an email and asked her to consider it and even if she didn't think it would help, I wanted to try it so long as it would do no harm.

This is the first time I ever been able to eat until satiated and still lose weight without exercising. It's amazing. I hope this helps someone else's struggles.

It's only six pounds but I'm not freaking feeling like I'm starving to death before I even finish the meal in front of me.

Guest Sarah1967

I'm also a type 2 diabetic I was on the Metformin for awhile and starting to getting sick at my stomach every time I took it, My doctor put me on Glyburide it was doing okay if I didn't skip a meal I skipped lunch an went hypoglycemic was in the hospital for 3 days. I'm on another medicine a once a week Injection called Tanzeum instead of the glyburide. The Tanzeum is working really good keeping my glucose levels I had a couple of burgers earlier an my glucose is 123 so not bad;; Since being on the Tanzeum my blood Glucose had been no lower than 76 an no higher than 140 ...

• Admin

. Since being on the Tanzeum my blood Glucose had been no lower than 76 an no higher than 140 ...

That is really good, Sarah. Congrats on your control! :thumbsup:

Carolyn Marie

Guest Megan_Lynn

Am gonna say this yet again.. stop eating the poison carbs and there will be no need for any meds for most diabetics. April first was diagnosed a full blown diabetic with a 8.2 A1C. decided to change my diet by stopping eating all hardcore carbs aka breads, grains, rice, potatoes, sugars. was able to in 3 months time drop 40lbs and A1C fell to a 6.0. I follow a low glycemic diet with plenty of meats and eggs. My cholesterol dropped 22 points(140 total cholesterol) on this diet as well. Its been 6 months now second A1C was 5.5 kept all weight lost off and feel ten years younger. My numbers never spike up over low 130's ever and stay in the 85 to 110 range the majority of the time.All with no meds of any kind. The meds will only delay the bad effects so long if you keep eating the poison carbs. If you care on bit about your health stop eating the hardcore carbs completely for good.