• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hey, should I get an epilator?

Guest Ashlyn M

Guest Ashlyn M
Guest Ashlyn M

Yeah, I've heard they hurt, but I've tried hair removal cream before and it wasn't that great. Plus it'll run out after a bit and an epilator can be used many, many times right? I'm not a big fan of anything that hurts but I hate shaving and I can't go for waxing. I'll think it through first, thank you.

• Root Admin

I use an epilator and other than an occasional ingrown hair, it works very well. I won't try to kid you. It hurts. However, the pain does lessen after you've used it awhile. No where near as bad as when I first started. A word of advice. If you're going to epilate "down there" keep the skin taut. Those things can bite like a rabid honey badger.

MaryEllen

Guest Ashlyn M

I use an epilator and other than an occasional ingrown hair, it works very well. I won't try to kid you. It hurts. However, the pain does lessen after you've used it awhile. No where near as bad as when I first started. A word of advice. If you're going to epilate "down there" keep the skin taut. Those things can bite like a rabid honey badger.

MaryEllen

Does the one from my first link look reliable? I'm scared of some of the reviews.

• Root Admin

I use a Remington that is similar to the one in the third link.

MaryEllen

• Root Admin

Yes, that is the one. Mine is several years old but it's basically the same thing.

Guest ~Cadence~

They are all going to have low stars because they hurt :( No one is really truly ready for the pain a device that plucks hairs out individually like multiple tweezers all at once.

Now, I have used an epilator, and it does work wonderfully on my legs and underarms ( I have like a deluxe version of your third link - it has a light on it) but I haven't used it in months. Why, you may ask? because every time I use it I end up covered in gnarly red painful bumps for about a week, and by then my hair has begun to grow back and I start getting the ingrowns :(

Now, I also got it because I saw the advertisements saying weeks between regrowth and thought "hmmmm, my face could benefit from that."

My face did not benefit from it.

Seriously, shaving is the best bet for your skin for all the "at home" hair removal options.. If you want an epilator, I say go ahead and get one, but be prepared for the potential for pain and the potential skin damage.

Can´t say that my epilator hurts after I got accustomed to use it regularly. Therefore the new hair is thinner and easier plucked out (only a few on my legs and arms fortunately). The results a re the most convincing ones compared to shaving or so. I even got compliments from men stating that my legs were as soft as a woman´s. ;) So I may say an epilator can improve your (female) self esteem. ;)

Are these things better than shaving for arms? I am afraid to shave my arms, because won't it make more hair grow? Just asking.

• Root Admin

I've had about the same results as TrueSelf has had. Over a period of time, the hair will grow back much finer and in my case, the hair has disappeared entirely from my legs. My arms are almost hair free too. Whether this happens for others, I don't know but this has been my experience.

MaryEllen

one thing you may want to consider is the danger of in grown hairs, judging from the previous posts there are certainly a lot of benefits to epilators, but ingrown hairs can form a cyst, and the thing about cysts is that they require surgery to remove, ( which usually leaves a scare). I learnt this the hard way using a two blade razor :( In short be careful how you shave.

• Forum Moderator

I generally follow with previous comments.

I have used them in most areas except for my face but have had problems with sensitive skin and ingrowing hairs. The sensitive skin and also ingrowing hairs were predominantly on my stomach. I carried on for a while but things did not seem to be improving very quickly so I decided to stop there as I did not want to risk scarring.

Currently I have two epilators, a cheap one and one a little more expensive. I use the cheap one on underarms once a week and it seems to sort things without problem (apart from having to be a contortionist to use it there :D ) . The more expensive one I use on the backs of my hands, tops of my feet, ankles and knees every two weeks. Except from a few minor issues with irritation on my wrists occasionally all seems fine. I use a non prescription witch hazel / t tree foaming face wash on my body daily and a similar gel ointment overnight on any irritation (witch hazel has been mentioned here before).

Over most of the rest of my body (legs, stomach, chest etc) I have electric shavers that cut to around 0.5mm or just less. This minimises hair and also avoids issues with ingrowing hairs for me. I have found that ingrowing hair seems to be less of an issue with time and good hygene but beware as an ingrowing hair can cause issues pretty quickly if the follicle gets infected.

Yes the epilator does hurt but the first few times are the worst. Also I found my stomach and the backs of my hands were the worst. I would suggest anyone starting to do things in easy stages.

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

I love them and share one with my wife.

Hurt yes but ours does a great job.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Robin Winter

Love mine. It hurts at first, but after extended use it's really not bothersome at all. I dont even feel it below the knee anymore. I actually find I get far fewer ingrown hairs using an epilator than with shaving or depilatory creams. It's the way to go. Try the cheaper one, but a good one is worth investing in. I'm getting a braun silk epil next.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought one today. It wasn't so bad. I only did my hands, though. Sure thought it was going to be terrible before I started! Fired that thing up after I plugged it in and it sounded like some hand saw going crazy, like a deranged badger being held by the tail! Once I started with it, it wasn't so scary.

That is a good thing, too, because I hate all this shaving nonsense and don't have the money currently to invest in that Bella Flash light thing.

Thanks for bringing this little device to my attention!

Alyssa

Okay, now that I have branched out more with this critter, I am getting a different opinion of it. I epilated my arms last weekend, and though it hurt something fierce in some areas, I love the results. Seriously, so much better than having to shave every couple days. Then today I started on my legs. I got up to the knee on my left leg, and couldn't take it anymore. Again, some areas were fine and I breezed right through it, but other parts were definitely like small woodland creatures were gnawing on my flesh.

There has to be a better way.

My friend here sent my a link to an IPL device, but she warned that that thing can be unpleasant as well. What's the word? Is one worse than the other, IPL vs epilator?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Alyssa

• Forum Moderator

Alyssa what you are learning firsthand is that hair removal by any means is an unpleasant endeavor! That it hurt "something fierce" in some areas is due to where the nerves are. I have some spots that are definitely tolerable (not enjoyable!) and others that are pure torture. I chose electrolysis and will admit there have been times when I wanted the session to end because the nerves on my face seemed to be all firing at the same time. I persevered and continued because I have a goal and I am going to attain it. I'm sorry to tell you there isn't a method or tool out there that makes this easy. Find something you can live with and enjoy the results.

Jani

Alyssa what you are learning firsthand is that hair removal by any means is an unpleasant endeavor! That it hurt "something fierce" in some areas is due to where the nerves are. I have some spots that are definitely tolerable (not enjoyable!) and others that are pure torture. I chose electrolysis and will admit there have been times when I wanted the session to end because the nerves on my face seemed to be all firing at the same time. I persevered and continued because I have a goal and I am going to attain it. I'm sorry to tell you there isn't a method or tool out there that makes this easy. Find something you can live with and enjoy the results.

Jani

Jani,

Thanks for that. I figured it was all going to be miserable anyway, just hoping something out there was a little better!

I do love the results of that epilator, though. Seriously, my arms are so smooth and it has almost been a week! With just shaving it was like every other day I had to do it again, and the smoothness would go away by the next day. It hurts, it sucks, but you are right about shooting for that goal. I still haven't started laser/electrolysis yet, so I can only imagine the fun that will bring...

One day this will get more manageable. One day...

Thanks Jani!

Alyssa

• 2 weeks later...