• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Electrolysis questions

Guest Ladyinker

Guest Ladyinker

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions on facial electrolysis. How long does each session last on average? How often do you have to go in for treatments?

Thank you for your wisdom,

Erin

• Forum Moderator

Hi Erin,

Most electrologists offer a variety of sessions dependent upon client needs and "pain threshold". I've been going in weekly for one hour sessions since August and started 1.5 hour sessions with the last one. When she was concentrating on my upper lip area I could barely tolerate the hour but I just want it gone so I sucked it up. I don't shave for two days before the session so the hair is easy to see and there is something to grab when it's pulled out. Early on I tried twice weekly sessions but didn't like having grow out my facial hair twice a week and I determined I needed the week to fully recover and for the redness to subside (a couple days).

My facial hair is mostly white so when the dark hairs were done I saw great improvement in my look. Some hair will grow back and require a second zap. My electrologist works quickly so I feel I'm getting a good value. She also knows I'm in for the long term. If you have the opportunity, shop around to get a good price. I've heard of fees that are all over the place, some really high.

Jani

Guest April63

I started with laser, and that removed almost all of the dark hairs (about fifty to seventy percent of my total facial hair). I've now had about ten hours of electrolysis. I have one hour sessions each week. Some weeks I go twice, for a total of two hours. We haven't gotten to the point where my whole face is cleared each week, so technically, I could go more often. My primary motivation for going twice is to speed things up so we can start doing a more even job.

April

Guest Jamie61

Hi Erin, I'm just starting electrolysis and I have had two seperate 'initial' sessions. This is where the electrolystician will go over the process and treat a variety of hairs around your face to show you how it works and feels. I have scheduled my first regular session for 15 minutes. The lady told me that I will be able to handle longer sessions as time goes on. I'm guessing I'll step up to 30 minutes after a few 15 minutes sessions.

From what others have shared, this is a long process taking 1 to 3 years for most people.

There are places that will sedate you for 10 or 12 hours and then clear your face with multiple electrolystician working. This process take 3 or four clearings, each followed by a 6 week break. This is followed by weekly or biweekly followups with a local electrolystician to finish completely in another few months.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

Jamie

Guest Ladyinker

Thank you all for your feed back on this. The electrolysis place here charges $60 an hour, which I thought was reasonable. Seeing how most people went in once a week, this would make electrolysis affordable for me.

Thanks a million

Erin

• Forum Moderator

Erin a $60.00 charge is reasonable. My technician charges $58/hour. but if I prepay for 5 hours I get 6 which gets it down to $48.33/hour.

If you can afford the upfront charge of $300. you might ask for an arrangement like this. It would cut the hourly fee to $50! You get a better deal and they get a guarantee of work for 6 hours.

Jani

I alternate between my laser treatments.

I do 1 electroysis session for 2 hours once a month.

I usually do laser at the beginning of the month and i do an electrolysis appt some time near the 15th of each month.

I pay $70 per hour.

Guest Alicia Rose

I'm currently getting Laser done on my entire face, and have had three sessions so far ($100 per visit) with my fourth coming soon. I've contacted an electrolysis and plan on trying that. Her prices are: 15 min $35. 30 min $65. 45 min $85. 60 min $98. Not having any experience, I thought that was a good price but now it seems expensive (and painful). Maybe I'll stick with Laser a little longer - I'm now finally seeing some results.

• 11 months later...

I am wondering if anyone here has plans for bottom surgery and has also been told by their physician they will need Electrolysis both on scrotom and penile shaft, well that is where l  ak at the moment. My Dr.'s assistant has sent a letter to my ins. Co. I am wondering that if they don't cover the Electolysis, What my options will be. So after painting my situation for you, l am wondering if anyone has attempted thier own hair removal with a consumer devise, and what your results yielded?

• Admin

Do NOT try the job with anything other than professional electrolysis.  There is too great a chance of doing permanent harm and even putting your chance of surgery off by a long time.  The do-it-at-home machines do not have the right power, and your ability to insert electrology needles into the hair follicles properly to kill the hair is not at all possible.  Infection that will possibly keep you from having a scheduled surgery is likely for a variety of reasons.  The actual "medically necessary" hair removal is covered by insurance companies that provide GCS coverage as part of the whole package. 

On the other hand, my surgeon did not require pre surgery hair removal, and she is not the only one who does not need the step taken.

I'm getting the hair down there removed, took about 5 laser sessions and 90% of it appears to be gone. I am doing it with a professional. The consumer devices are not reliable enough for permanent hair removal and the last thing I want is hair in there. When getting it done I went with the same person doing my face as they do both laser and electrolysis. My insurance didn't cover it..they will at some point, I'm just not going to wait.

• Forum Moderator
On 1/20/2016 at 0:58 PM, Ladyinker said:

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions on facial electrolysis. How long does each session last on average? How often do you have to go in for treatments?

Thank you for your wisdom,

Erin

I probably had facial hair that was closer to the "worst case" side of things. Very dense white hairs.

I can only stand about 2 hours of it at a time :) Early on I would go for 2 hour/week sessions.

These days I go in for a 1 hour treatment, and I'm in final stages of maintenance mode getting the last ones (so many growth cycles). This month I've been at it for 5 years to completely clear my face and neck, it's cost me well over 20 k and lot's of trips. I've become really good friends with the nice lady that does my face, she is more than just electrolysis services to me.

So nice to be where I'm at now, I would not wish this on anyone...

Good luck Erin

C -

• Forum Moderator

After the pain of being zapped, this is a close second.  I plan to stay in the house for those days.

Jani

• Forum Moderator

During the first few years on those "grow out" days before treatment, I used Derma Blend cover creme foundation, it worked great and allowed me to go out in the world without too much embarrassment.

I am certain that electrolysis machines are a tool of the devil.  Or at least something of a mid-evil torture device.  Not to scare anyone from doing it but I struggle with it for sure.  I admit - I confess that after 30 mins I have tears coming down my face.  I  had to take a break from it for a time...a loooong time.  :-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 1:36 AM, VickySGV said:

Do NOT try the job with anything other than professional electrolysis.  There is too great a chance of doing permanent harm and even putting your chance of surgery off by a long time.  The do-it-at-home machines do not have the right power, and your ability to insert electrology needles into the hair follicles properly to kill the hair is not at all possible.  Infection that will possibly keep you from having a scheduled surgery is likely for a variety of reasons.  The actual "medically necessary" hair removal is covered by insurance companies that provide GCS coverage as part of the whole package. 

On the other hand, my surgeon did not require pre surgery hair removal, and she is not the only one who does not need the step taken.

Thanks for your info in answeringmy question. l am awaiting to hear from my Ins. Co. who are covering my surgery.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker
On 1/4/2017 at 10:05 AM, Fiona said:

Since my limit for tattoos is 1.5-2 hours, I gotta believe it would be similar for electrolysis. 

The first couple sessions I had were 2 hours, then it slowly tapered down to one hour. Now I think it's about 30 minutes.

• Forum Moderator

Fiona, I'm sure Liz will chime back in on this but my experience is its due to need.  As hair is cleared fewer and fewer grow back.  I did 2 hours for a while but now do 1 hour sessions.  Eventually you go into maintenance mode similar to older natal women who have hairs pop up in strange places as they age (according to my electrologist).  I know a couple women who are at this point and one who is completely finished after many years.  I can't wait to get to that stage!

Jani 

3 minutes ago, Jani423 said:

Fiona, I'm sure Liz will chime back in on this but my experience is its due to need.  As hair is cleared fewer and fewer grow back.  I did 2 hours for a while but now do 1 hour sessions.  Eventually you go into maintenance mode similar to older natal women who have hairs pop up in strange places as they age (according to my electrologist).  I know a couple women who are at this point and one who is completely finished after many years.  I can't wait to get to that stage!

Jani 

Sounds like a great day, indeed.......

• 2 months later...

Just finishing my 1st year of electrolysis! I go for 2hrs every week and am not half way done yet. I think I pay about $100hr luckily insurance is paying for facial. I am so happy with the results so far but has been very painful and can seem like no end is in site at times. Recently I have been presenting with no foundation, just mascara and lipstick...I lifelong dream coming true! On to body laser anybody experience that like to shsre?

I haven't actually used foundation in a long time. I'm getting ready to start as well, but a friend told me of  a local place that only charges transwomen $60 an hour. I just can't believe that price. One of my friends has been going there for months.

I'm a bit worried about the pain, but people that have done it, and had tattoos, told me it's less painful than ink, I'm hoping so :D