• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Electrolysis questions

Guest Ladyinker

• Forum Moderator

That's a great price considering your location.  Mine charges $62 now but she's a bit out of the way logistically.  I know of a few in a nearby city that charge much more.  At that price, I'd make an appointment.  I remember that I had a 15 minute introductory appointment the first time where she went over the mechanics of it, discussed growth cycles and zapped a number of hairs.  I recall thinking this was going to be hell, but that it couldn't be worse than the hell I was in.  

I have to chuckle because my wife started going to take care of a couple stray hairs she gets.  I finally talked her out of plucking them.  She said it was horrible and my electrologist told me she wouldn't lay still.  I lay still like I'm dead because I want as many hairs done as possible in my hour!  

Jani

Guest cerise

I actually look forward to the sessions as its a rare moment of non action on my part . My tech is a blast and she's part Greek and I am part Italian so we talk about Latin temperament , kids , etc and get along quite well.

its a college so I get a better deal and she usually goes over a bit . 

Once a week. 

She told me of a trans person who was keen and booked a 4 hr session.

Mine went over really long one time as I guess she was feeling generous and it was my legs that started complaining before my face

i will book a 2 hour session sometime but that's the max for me for the above reason.

It's 73 an hr with taxes. Canadian

we have not gotten to the upper lip but she assures me I will not be so happy then.

laser is a different story.

Holy Hanna! 

On 4/8/2017 at 8:05 AM, cerise said:

I actually look forward to the sessions as its a rare moment of non action on my part . My tech is a blast and she's part Greek and I am part Italian so we talk about Latin temperament , kids , etc and get along quite well.

its a college so I get a better deal and she usually goes over a bit . 

Once a week. 

She told me of a trans person who was keen and booked a 4 hr session.

Mine went over really long one time as I guess she was feeling generous and it was my legs that started complaining before my face

i will book a 2 hour session sometime but that's the max for me for the above reason.

It's 73 an hr with taxes. Canadian

we have not gotten to the upper lip but she assures me I will not be so happy then.

laser is a different story.

Holy Hanna! 

I've talked with girls that booked two people for 8-hours, multiple times. Got pain meds, and let them go to town. 

I was shocked and amazed. LOL

Guest cerise

My reaction to that would be the same but I get where your friends are coming from.

My tech has been working under my chin for weeks now and it's just starting feel clean and its only about a third done in that area, if that.

i would gladly book a two hour session if I could afford it.

• Forum Moderator

I used to book two hour appointments six months ago or so but it only lasted for a couple months since it got to be too much as it took so much longer to heal.  I've talked to my electrologist about long appointments (think E3000) and she says it causes too much stress on the skin.  I don't get the huge swelling any more, just redness after 18 months and 60+ hours.  Now that I'm deep into HRT my pain level seems to be much lower.  I tolerate an hour or so but nothing longer.  Any less and I think the "cost" of having to refrain from shaving is wasted.   The issue about longer appointments costing more is real, particularly if you maintain your current schedule.  It certainly adds up.  I've spent a lot more on this than therapy and specific medical care!  

Jani

I do an hour every two weeks. Partly for financial reasons and partly due to the fact I don't want to have to worry about it every week. Luckily most of it got zapped by laser first, so it is just the white hairs left (no beard shadow).

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

So there is a light at the end of the tunnel: I go every 6 weeks for less than an hour now. When I first started it was a 2-hour session. Now it takes longer to drive up there than my time spent under the needle. I either have some really resilient remaining hairs or I'm one hairy beast. (no comments from the peanut gallery)