• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How do I find a gender identity therapist that insurance will cover?

SW1026

Hello everyone! So... I'm still trying to figure everything out. Especially when it comes to where and how I start looking into transition... And then of course.. How to afford it?

I'm currently a foster parent in California so I have the medical insurance "Medi-Cal". I've heard the 1st step is to see a therapist. More particularly one specializing in gender identity. I'm curious of how to go about finding one? Is it common for a therapist to be trained in this or is finding one going to be a rough challenge?? (especially when it comes to insurance covering them).

Please anyone with advice by all means share. I need to do something. And I feel there's no better way than to sit with a professional equipped with the tools to either properly get me started or "set me straight". Either way I can't keep up this lie..

Guest Alicia Rose

I'd suggest looking around your area for any therapist and calling them. Be direct and ask if they have experience with Gender Identity and have helped Transgender individuals. Another good idea is by looking online for Trans* friendly therapist in your area and see what comes up. If there's nothing close enough, you can try online "eTherapy" which requires internet, Skype and a webcam (or maybe just a phone). That's what I've been doing and it's been working well.

Now of course, when you call one just be sure to ask if they accept your insurance. They may not know off-hand but can find out quickly and let you know. My therapist doesn't accept my specific insurance but she doesn't charge much.

Oh, and another important tip once you find one, be sure to ask if they are able to write letters for HRT if that's the path you wish to follow.

This like comes from this site, and what I even used!: http://lauras-playground.com/gender_therapists.htm#California

Guest Danielle J

Look in your Medi-Cal provider handbook(you can find it online if you don't have one) for therapist in your area or you could call your local medi-cal office and ask them.

Hugs Danielle

• Admin

Very good suggestions so far. Thanks Danielle and JM. If you live in or near a medium or large size city, you can also check with the local LGBT center, which often has a list of providers. Gender therapists are becoming more common, but usually in urban areas. I have no idea if Medi-Cal covers this; they do cover medical expenses, but therapy is often considered a non-covered expense in private insurance. Maybe some California members have some experience to share on that issue. I wish you luck.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Thank you for the information everyone :)

Hey Jealous Moon I appreciate your advice. Would you mind adding me? I haven't been able to figure it out lol (I'm on a mobile phone) I tried adding you from my last post you replied to. Also how do you like the "Etherapy"?? The honestly would be my preferred option if I could be picky. Not needing to physical be face to face with someone while talking about all of this seems relieving.

I'm going to call Medi-Cal during their next business day. I figured it'll be sort of a hunt but eventually someone from my insurance should have a list of therapists to give me right? Lol

Thank you everyone for your help. I didn't even know there were gender identity therapists so this is all news to me lol

Guest Kaylee

Sadly, when I looked 2 years ago here in the Los Angeles area, I didn't find many who accept insurance. I guess it's to a point where it becomes a hassle for them as well as you. Even my original Endo decided to no longer accept insurance after a few months, then it was $200 per visit.

Regardless, I did find a therapist, and relatively inexpensive in comparrison to others. Really sweet lady, and she does do E-therapy as well.

Hopefully, medi-cal covers therapy, if not... I'd be glad to share my therapists name.

Hugs,

Kaylee

Guest Alicia Rose

Thank you for the information everyone :)

Hey Jealous Moon I appreciate your advice. Would you mind adding me? I haven't been able to figure it out lol (I'm on a mobile phone) I tried adding you from my last post you replied to. Also how do you like the "Etherapy"?? The honestly would be my preferred option if I could be picky. Not needing to physical be face to face with someone while talking about all of this seems relieving.

I'm going to call Medi-Cal during their next business day. I figured it'll be sort of a hunt but eventually someone from my insurance should have a list of therapists to give me right? Lol

Thank you everyone for your help. I didn't even know there were gender identity therapists so this is all news to me lol

Add you as friends on this site? Sure!

I'm enjoying it. The eTherapy has been going well. We use webcams and chat on Skype. Specifically, my therapist is really nice, upfront and pretty silly, which makes things easy. We've been talking since early April and she is giving me my letter for HRT. So, I'm happy and glad I did it.

It's worth noting, that some online therapist can only work with people in certain states - so if you reach out to one let them know where you're from and if you're at least 18+, etc. If you're curious to know the therapist I'm seeing, message me and I can send you her website.

As for the "gender therapist" you just need to make sure that the therapist is qualified to help you, by having experiencing helping Trans* individuals and follows the WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health) Standards of Care. So, ask.

Hey Kaylee! Do you think you could message me the information to your therapist. I happen to live in southern California too. Not so much the LA area as much as OC area (so like 30-60 mins from you lol) anyway I I like the idea of the E-Therapy. It sounds a lot less intimidating to me. Do you mind private messaging me? For some reason my phone won't let me compose a message no matter how many times I hit the button lol

Thank you for the add JealousMoon! You're very sweet. (Also I read your profile we have a lot in common especially when it comes to video games so well need to chat about that later haha) mind private messaging me as well? I'm wondering if I had a message in my inbox if it would then allow me to actually compose a message.

Anyway may I ask what the general rate to an E-therapy session is? Because I'm seriously considering that route.

Thank you for making an exception lol I've noticed that a lot of features aren't working. I didn't know that there was site maintenance going on. I've noticed my profile pic doesn't show anymore either haha

Anyway that is a little discouraging to be honest :/ money is tight. Looks like I'm going to need to seek out better employment before I'll be able to begin seeing a therapist.

Guest Alicia Rose

Thank you for making an exception lol I've noticed that a lot of features aren't working. I didn't know that there was site maintenance going on. I've noticed my profile pic doesn't show anymore either haha

Anyway that is a little discouraging to be honest :/ money is tight. Looks like I'm going to need to seek out better employment before I'll be able to begin seeing a therapist.

She offers a cheaper option too ($80). But I understand that the cost can be an issue. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you and I wish you all the best.

• 4 years later...
On 6/4/2016 at 12:04 PM, Guest Alicia Rose said:

Add you as friends on this site? Sure!

I'm enjoying it. The eTherapy has been going well. We use webcams and chat on Skype. Specifically, my therapist is really nice, upfront and pretty silly, which makes things easy. We've been talking since early April and she is giving me my letter for HRT. So, I'm happy and glad I did it.

It's worth noting, that some online therapist can only work with people in certain states - so if you reach out to one let them know where you're from and if you're at least 18+, etc. If you're curious to know the therapist I'm seeing, message me and I can send you her website.

As for the "gender therapist" you just need to make sure that the therapist is qualified to help you, by having experiencing helping Trans* individuals and follows the WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health) Standards of Care. So, ask.

Hi Alicia, are you still on here?