• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Pope Says Christians Should Apologize to LGBT People

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/26/world/pope-apologize-gays/index.html

This seems quite an historic moment. As I mentioned in a FB post about this, I don't know what, if any, practical effect this will have. But certainly it is of great symbolic importance. The Pope is quite an extraordinary leader, even if many of us don't agree with much of the Church's precepts. Wow!

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

The reporters seem quick to point out that this need to feel for gays should be put into the broader context of being good to everyone. That is a lovely thought but not assensationly accepting as the headline would have us believe. At least he seems to accept the LGBT community as humans worthy od love. That's a positive step for certain.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

He has to go slow. For all he is a supreme leader historically any pontificate who made swift and sweeping changes was for some reason very short lived. I don't have any evidence and am not making any accusations beyond that observation that has already been the source of much speculation.

Whatever the situation he does call for love and apologizes for past mistreatment by the Church as well as going on to apologize for the way the Church has behaved historically. I don't believe that has ever been done before.

I'm not Catholic but as Carolyn said the Catholic Church still wields enormous power and influence.

Johnny

Guest KerryUK

I agree with Johnny, one small step - in the right direction. Like Johnny, I'm not Catholic but this current Pope does seem to be trying to do lots to bring his church up to date. He's gone up in my estimations (sorry, that's not meant to be offensive to anyone).

Guest Sarah Faith

Maybe I should then apologize to myself?

LOL That's what I was thinking. I won't though because I honestly don't feel that someone in one group should apologize for other people's behavior. The only people that would have need to apologize are the ones who twist their religion to fit their personal ideologies.

Maybe I should then apologize to myself?

LOL That's what I was thinking. I won't though because I honestly don't feel that someone in one group should apologize for other people's behavior. The only people that would have need to apologize are the ones who twist their religion to fit their personal ideologies.

:-)

I have on occasion made apology for others. But that's usually because their behavior embarrasses me somehow. But I agree, apologies need to be made by those from whom the offense came.

I'm an old prep Seminarian (13-15). The whole story here is in my biography in the legacy biography page of the main site. I was naive at the time not to mention terrified. I saw something no young teen should see. (in a bathroom) What I was surprised by is that if one confessed all was forgiven. I could understand this once or twice but when the same sins were committed everyday I had my doubts about whether someone was forgiven or not. Other religious leasers have apologized to LGBT people several times. In my mind they do not mean it except to the reporter they are talking to at the time.Just because people confess or pray it doesn't mean they are better that the others. Many bishops and priests act this way. I don't hold grudges. My therapist once told me that they were young people experimenting. I just don't know.. It doesn't bother me any more but did for years. I got a letter 20 years ago from one in that group who had a wife and two children with those days far behind them. He claimed it was an experiment as well.

Laura

• 2 months later...

I believe confessing my sins and praying for the grace not to sin again has and does make me a better person. If it's not yet obvious, I'll keep doing it anyway. I know that the Pope is doing the same thing. There are some who do not yet seem to get that everyone deserves to be love no matter whether Jew or Greek, man or woman, or whatever, as the Scripture says.

Love:),

Raz