• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shoe sizes?

Timber Wolf

• Forum Moderator

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem. I have no (girls) shoes. I have average size feet for a guy, which means big for a girl. I take size 10 1/2 or 11 mens. First, what size does that correspond with for girls shoes? Second, any idea's where I might be able to find shoes so big?

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

• Forum Moderator

I think you are in an urban setting so i would suggest going to a Payless Shoe store for a start.  They cater to African American Women and have larger shoes than most stores.  The shoes are not too expensive but unfortunately the quality sometimes suffers as well.  

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Kaylee

For mt own 2 cents, Charlize was good with Payless. Their quality has much improved as of late, and I recently bought a few pairs of really cute shoes that are really quite comfortable.

Another option depending where you live is Burlington Coat Factory, Nordstroms "the rack", and places like Ross, Marshalls and DD's Discounts. These are hit or miss places, but tend to have larger sizes. I've seen up to womens 14 at "The rack".

Hugs,

Kaylee

• Forum Moderator

You really need to try them on.  I wear a 9.5 to 10 in women's shoes.  My size is men's is 9.  Payless is a good suggestion.  The market they cater to is different by geographical area I'm sure.  They do have a fair amount of variety in style and sizes.

Jani

I've had very good luck so far at Nordstrom Rack. They go up to size 13 (women's) with decent selection and deals. Plus, the staff has been great whenever I've been in there. I've been treated warmly regardless of my presentation.

If you have one in your area, I'd recommend taking a look.

Definitely Payless as a good place to start. Self service and only once have I had n issue there with a sales person (owned and staffed by a very traditional religious family from another part of the world...).  Otherwise most times after an initial offer to help you're left alone.  And if you do need help, the sales person is generally really helpful regardless of how you look/present.  

Kaylee also had some good suggestions.  I've had some pretty good luck at Ross.  My wife initially took me there and now she has to keep me out.  Besides shoes, you'll find lots of women's clothing at or near thrift shop prices if you shop the sales rack and dig around. 

Have fun!

I've ordered more than few pairs of shoes online at DSW. In the stores they don't have larger shoe sizes. I am an 11--btw, and I still have trouble. Lucky for me, most shoes do come in that size--even if I have to order it online.

Guest Clair Dufour

I use Amazon with good results. But, they and most others stop at size 10 or so for good fashion and 13 for the most part with some exceptions including unisex boots. Twenty or thirty dollars will get you a nice look.  After that one needs to use crossdressing sites  or stores and the prices go up. Also, most womens shoes come in medium width and you have to add half or one size larger if you have a wide foot. Many CD's wear boots with  heels as they make the feet look smaller than flat and open  shoes do. Most have return policies so you can return them if they don't fit right. I wear boots with 2 inch cowboy heels all the time. Besides the fact that they give that girl walk feeling, they make it easier to wear 3 to 4 inch heels when I want to.

I have found nice shoes at Payless, Sears, and some other large stores.  My feet got a bit smaller, and much slimmer under hormones (I lost a lot of muscle size too).  I agree that it is best to try them on in the store in order to insure a good fit, especially for pretty strap sandals.  I wear a women's size 11, not too unusual for a tall girl (I am 5'10").  I tend to ignore the fashion stores since they usually top out at size 10.  My favorite shoes for everyday is a pair of Tevas slip on sandals, but I do have a collection of shoes now for different occasions.

I looked at Payless over the weekend and they had some to size 13. Too small for me so I looked at some sights and found heels for you that have a catagory heels for men and go to woman's size 16-17. The recommend as already stated to order 2 sizes larger than what you usually wear. I did order some black 2" heels in a 16 so I hope they will fit when they get here. 

Good luck 

Rachael 

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Longtallsally (dot com) carries large feet sizes, as well as Amazon and Zappos.

I don't have any pretty girl shoes but I do wear gender neutral skater shoes that I buy direct from DC shoes. Even in the men's section of DC I've found some really cute shoes that could pass as women's. You can also have custom shoes made at the Vans website and they even have pink!

• Forum Moderator

Thanks Everyone,

Got some good sounding suggestions. Sandles and open toes are out for me, as my nails are no good. I like Clair's idea about boots. I've always thought they look good, and I used to wear them all the time when I was in school. I also think I can find a payless around somewhere. Right off, it sounds like either boots or payless shoes.??

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

Guest AshleighP

I guess I'm fortunate in that I can usually find cute shoes at Kohls or even Target. That's probably because I can wear a 9 1/2 or 10 in women's sizes. I also have fairly narrow feet, so women's shoes, especially sneakers, actually for better than the men's shoes I've worn all my life. 

Now, that being said, I have also ordered from a website called 6pm.com. They have a great selection, reasonable prices, and a large variety of sizes. Their return policy is also pretty easy to deal with. 

Good luck!

The best way I know of is to try them out in the store. I should be size 13, but I've recently discovered that 12W still works depending on the manufacturer. My wedge sandals are 11, but still comfortable even though they're a little small...I think that same sandal in size 12 would be just fine for me.

I got my shoes today and they are nice and fit ok. I have never worn heels. One thing I would do is make sure there is a strap that crosses the top of the foot in front of the ankle. The heel pops out sometimes. 

I'm gonna throw in one more. I realize they are not "budget" minded, but Torrid sells some larger sizes, and most come in wide. (I recognize the styles are aimed at younger ladies) I've seen up to 14 on their discount shelf... and was a little sad they were a few sizes too big :(

• 2 months later...

I suggest you trying Y-Concept store ( http://www.y-concept.eu ). They sell shoes in large sizes, but unlike others with a specific focus on fashion. It is worth to have a look at the website anyway, but if you are looking for something fashionable you definitely need to consider this option. Their shoes are quite expensive, with the price of US$200 for an average pair, but it is totally worth it and in an addition, as far as I remember, they offer worldwide delivery.

Speaking of wide.  If a lady's shoe is not quite the right size but the next size up is wrong,  try wetting the uppers only to damp.  Then fill a ziplock bag with water,  place in the shoes and then freeze them. The next day the expanded water (ice) will have stretched the shoes. Also freezing kills any cruddy living in the shoes. 

I also fill dollar store socks with activated charcoal and seal the tops with Goop. Placing those in the shoes in the closet keeps them nice and fresh.