• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do I have enough?

MarcieMarie12

This morning as I was getting ready to work I could not find the top or bottom I wanted to wear (maybe tomorrow! Yes tomorrow with the hat!! But since transitioning my wardrobe has grown significantly. I found something else I had forgotten I bought, probable worn once or twice, and then got lost in the closet (:omg:). A cute beige top with some lace in the chest area and some other embellishments. How did I forget that?

Does this mean I have enough? I mean if I forgot it, it is kinding of like wearing something new (:dunno:), or does that mean it is time to clear out my closet (:hiding:?  I mean it is only one blouse, but how did I forget it? Also there are still days I feel I just don't have anything to wear (:eek:). Also, I don't want to get stuck in 2016 fashion. Come on! That would a tragedy!!!:refuse:  l guess it is time to figure what outfit I am going to buy next (:goodbad:).

BTW--did anyone tell you that being a girl is expensive? And since that is the case, why are women paid less than men? I mean come on I spent $100 at my hair dresser while some guy gets theirs for 20!!!

Sorry for the random musing (not really sorry ;)) . It has been over a year since I began building up my wardrobe and it is still on going. Now things are already wearing out or looking dated.

Guest CLAIRE100

I have been fortunate that friends, and family members have given me clothes so having enough is not the question, it's settling on a style that looks good on a plus size 66 year old that won't draw to much attention but still looks put together. Two weeks ago I saw a tunic style top in Kohl's that I just loved and my daughter said go for it by the time I was done I also had my first pair of leggings, worried that it was to young looking for me my daughter said do you want to look like an old lady, or a modern woman. Well I love the way the outfit looks, and feels and to answer your question I don't know if I will ever have enough clothes because I have a lot of catching up to do after years of denial.

• Forum Moderator

Marcie, it seems we can never have enough.  Staying ahead of fashion is a difficult battle.  I just try to pick things that have an ageless style although I am guilty of occasionally picking up a piece in the current fashion.  I think it's more expensive now because as a guy my clothes were always in style and I only replaced them as they became worn.  Not so anymore!  

I have never understood the pricing of hair care.  Now that I'm on the other side I find the same amount of time is spent.  Are guys being discounted or are women being charged more?  How timely as I'm going in for a cut and color tomorrow.   

I'm not complaining! 

Jani

Well, my hairdresser does spend a lot of time on me (4 hours, with coloring) compared to 15 minutes pre transition. But she does a great job and helped me with my hair through my transition.  I do enjoy it though, we talk about all sorts of things, she used to be a graphics designer.

• Forum Moderator

I was relating to cut only.  Admittedly I've had long hair for some time and my prior cut took as long as my wife's.  I've been going to her for 35 years.  Coloring is another story!

Jani

Guest CLAIRE100

I wish I could have those problems with the hairdresser , other than a trim so my wig cap fits properly I have to deal with my wigs, spending time in a salon even at the crazy prices sounds heavenly to this sufferer from male pattern baldness.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker
10 hours ago, MarcieMarie12 said:

And since that is the case, why are women paid less than men?

Oh girl, that is a can of worms you don't want to open... :nope:

So, yeah, I've found a few tops I forgot I had. It was like Christmas! I have more clothes! I also have 2 tanks still in plastic that I haven't worn yet, but I at least know I have them. Oh, and I found 5 new pairs of underwear I forgot I had. Yay new underwear! Seriously, how did I forget I bought these? Sheesh....

• Admin

I am going to have to get a skip loader to clean one corner of my room out, actually it should be on the order of an archaeological dig, might find some well preserved specimens of 1980's vintage clothing. 

• Forum Moderator

With our limited space I have clothes all over the place. It really is often the case of 'where did I put that?'. I have a stack of old ipad boxes holding tights of many colours and  undies as yet unworn. I must admit that I have to be strong as there is no room for more (although if something is really nice it will stretch :D ).

I prefer to avoid fashion if I can because things change so quickly. I get ideas and follow them. Years ago I came across the term 'trend setter'. Probably me dreaming but I do try :D . I love fashion design, and do draw a few things and, to a minor extent, implement them.

Talk of the hairdresser does remind me that I soon need to make an appointment. With mine it is not so much the expense of a visit. It is that as a woman my visits are very much more regular than as a man. I really enjoy the chats with my hairdresser though and look forward to seeing her. She has been a friend for some years, all the way from totally male to seeing me fully female, and has been completely accepting.

Tracy

Guest AshleighP

Is it possible to have enough, or heaven forbid, too much? I am constantly searching sale racks and thrift stores for new things. I would have to say the only area lacking a bit for me is the shoe department. Even in guy mode, I never have had more than 3-4 pairs of shoes. Don't get me started on panties, bras, tights, and stockings! Abundance is an understatement in that respect.

Guest CLAIRE100

one thing I have learned that as a woman we need so many more types of outfits, casual dresses, dressy dresses, casual wear, everyday clothes etc.As a male all I needed was clothes for work, and after work, one suit, and one navy blue blazer and I was set. I am not complaining  but there seems to be more expectations as to what we wear, and when we wear it. As a male I would not think twice about going to the doctors office in a pair of shorts, and a polo shirt, but as a female now full time I feel I need to dress in a more put together look, a dress, or a nice blouse and skirt, all this requires more clothing in my wardrobe,maybe this is just me being happy to present myself as as I have always seen myself, not really sure  but it is how I feel.

I wonder that too. I'm actually able to express myself like I never could. I do have to contain myself a bit when some random cis-woman compliments me on my outfit. I was so worried I would not be making good choices.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 134 Guests (See full list)

• Heather Shay
    • AllieJ
    • April Marie
    • Ashley0616
    • Petra Jane