• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

GLAAD & TG Actors Release Video Re. Equality

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I actually have had the privilege of meeting and getting to know several of the people in this film IRL and hope this helps create a goal for the entertainment industry, but I am also aware that this may still take time. 

I was involved in a conversation over the  past weekend that pointed out a "Chicken or Egg" problem as to whether we needed Trans* actors first that could easily and artfully play cis characters as well as Trans* characters and bring them up to general celebrity status in the acting craft, vs. having properties that portrayed Trans* people in situations that were uplifting and descriptive of actual Trans* life at the intersection of the total of society, which is where the acting art and craft come together. Of course though, the biggest speed bump at the minute is "who the hell will buy the tickets to see any of the shows ?"  I for one am simply glad the conversation is starting,  Being the traitor to the Trans* community that I will be thought of, I do not ALWAYS think that the best actor for playing a given Trans* character is a Trans* person.  Acting is the ART of portrayal of a single character at one time. 

• Admin
18 minutes ago, VickySGV said:

Being the traitor to the Trans* community that I will be thought of, I do not ALWAYS think that the best actor for playing a given Trans* character is a Trans* person.  Acting is the ART of portrayal of a single character at one time. 

I'm with you on this, Vicky.  I have always said that, in the end, it is a financial and artistic decision.  Many times, a project will not be green-lighted without a name actor in the lead role, and there are currently only a couple of those in the trans actor category, and they may not be right, or available, for every such role.  Yes, we need more outstanding trans actors, but the business of Hollywood will always be the business of Hollywood, and it isn't, and never has been, one of fairness to all.  Just ask any cis-female,  or older, actor about the availability of roles.

Carolyn Marie