• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Countering Religious Arguments Against the LGBT Community

Dev

• Admin

Afternoon all!

Today's blog post on the site deals with some Scripture that can be used to counter the religiously "justified" hatred we may experience from time to time.  I've always found the justification for that hatred to be very thin in any case, but being able to use the same tenets of faith in our favor can only help us.

• Forum Moderator

Very good.  I need to look at the Blog's more often.

Jani

• Admin

I have actually encountered a couple of people who argued that I had to be in strict compliance with their version of the "clobber passages" before these verses could even be considered in my favor.  I was told flat out that the Pauline passages could not apply until I had repented and de-transitioned, and THEY KNEW Paul himself had meant it applied to perfect folks that way,  no matter what I tried to read into the passages you cited Dev.  Stubborn bunch to say the least. 

• 1 month later...

What some of these people need to understand is that God speaks to each of us individually. My journey is not any one else's. God knows what's best for us. Deep down inside I think it's more 'you have to look, acts, dress, and believe the same way as I do' rather than respecting the other person and encouraging on their journey. This is some thing that dislike. It's a reason that I'm not a group person.  

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, gennee said:

My journey is not any one else's. God knows what's best for us.

I thought there was only one who will judge us and she's not here on this earth.   While I am no longer a follower of the religion I was raised in, I try hard to live my life as I was taught.  Be kind.  Be tolerant.  None of us are perfect. 

Jani

Guest Rachel Gia

Not participating in religious discussions regarding gender is what I have found to be the only way to take the w8ind out this tribes sails.

Engaging solved little in my experience.

RG

In Buddhism, there's a saying:  “Don’t confuse the finger pointing at the moon for the moon itself.”

In other words, although someone may point to the moon to show us the truth of its luminosity, the pointing finger is not the moon itself.

The proponent of a religion may not necessarily practice it in accordance with its teachings.

Mahatma Gandhi is reported to have said, "“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

• Forum Moderator
On 12/31/2017 at 6:08 PM, Kenna Dixon said:

Mahatma Gandhi is reported to have said, "“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

This is so true unfortunately.  And we've seen so much of it this year.  

Jani

• 7 months later...

I was brought up Roman Catholic. A rather old priest called me an abhorrent creature when I was 15. Six months later we had a new priest arrive and I will never forget what he said to me.  "You have no sin on your soul and neither should you feel guilty. If you were such an abhorrence in the eyes of God he would never allow you to exist" 

The main issue is that the vast majority of religious leaders come from a different time and as such refuse to accept anything they cannot understand. The Roman Catholic Church is no different.

One quote always comes to mind. " Religion is a wonderful thing unfortunately then people get involved" ignorant bigoted people will always use religion to justify their prejudices. 

I refuse to justify my existence to anyone.

Xxx

• 1 year later...

I love watching religious peoples heads explode when I show them that the old kingdom of Israel recognized, accepted, and affirmed SIX different genders. They didn't really understand orientation, back then, like we do now. But they DID know there were more than just 2 genders, and that some people are born a gender that was different from what their body looked like.

NoBinary.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Admin

@Markjvp  So much of the Christian faith has been turned upside down by the people who sow fear of God's judgment and judgmentalism against ALL people.  Your parents feel they are being harshly judged each day by their deity and are afraid of being wrong in love they show.  They are prisoners of their own beliefs.  They too feel unlovable and thus cannot love or accept you.