• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Best way to start hair removal

April

I would like to start facial hair removal but not sure where to start. Should I just start with laser then onto electrolysis or just electrolysis. Some of the facial hair is gray but not sure how much should I let it grow for a while to see how it looks and go from there. I do also have rosacea if that matters. Also how many hours of each do you think I may be needed. 

Guest Rachel Gia

https://www.hairfacts.com

This a good place to start and is where I found my guidance but in the end it was by contacting an Electrologist that I got the best advice..

She directed me to a good laser clinic and gave me a map of how to proceed which pretty much was spot on.

i used laser to get rid of the darks and electrolysis to get rid of the greys and whites.

Laser covers a large area very fast but does not clear like electrolysis.

It takes multiple treatments to reduce the shadow but it did work for me.

about half way through they hooked me up with an Electrologist and that's when the greys were taken care of.

i am still going to the Electrologist and the Laser sessions have pretty much been finished.

i have been doing hair removal for more than 18 months and still have some ways to go but I am truly happy now with how I look and a shave does wonders.

HRT helps and I have been on those for 15 months now.

cheers 

Rachel.

PS I have not changed my avatar name yet.

• Forum Moderator

Hi April,  I started directly with electrolysis since I had a mix of dark and white.  With rosacea you might not be a good candidate for laser since that does heat up the skin quite a bit leaving it with a look of a good sunburn for a number of days.  It is also considered hair reduction as it may not be permanent.  From what I've read the folks who claim it to be permanent are typically younger with less established growth than us seniors.  Electrolysis is no walk in the park since the hair follicle isn't typically completely killed in one zap.  The weakened follicle produces a thinner and finer hair that is eventually killed off after multiple hits.  I have a 100 hours on the table in two years and I'm looking really good.  I've recently accelerated to multiple hours in my weekly sessions.  I didn't have a strong beard to start with so your results will be dependent upon who thick your hair is.   Some people find they need a pain management regimen to get through a session.  Initially I used lidocaine on my upper lip area along with acetaminophen, but I stopped after a few months when I got use to the sensation of each zap.  It's still a mild form of torture but its tolerable since I want it gone so badly.   I don't recall if you're on HRT, but as the T in your system is reduced the pain does seem to go up so start now if you can.   Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no one promised this would be easy.  

Jani 

I'm so happy to find this discussion this morning! It was on my mind all day yesterday. I don't have a strong beard, like you Jani, so I'm hoping my experience will go well, meaning not a lot of time, pain and money. But ... it's good to know what lies ahead. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Gwen

Someone told me very early in my transition to start hair removal, "right away because, you'll wish you had later on".  It wasn't a priority to me so I ignored their advice and started later.  Now I present authentically female 24/7 ...but I'm still fighting my facial hair!  Grrrr!!!  Facial hair removal takes a LONG time and since insurance doesn't cover it (if you're lucky enough to have insurance for the other things) finances may limit how fast you can get it removed.  If finances don't, pain will.  You'll learn to tolerate it but it's never the highlight of MY week.

Do yourself another favor and educate yourself about the three types of electrolysis: thermolysis, galvanic and blend.  Thermolysis is quick (a hair every couple seconds) but can cause scaring and pitting of your skin.  Blend on the other hand is very slow (10-15 seconds per hair) but less likely to scar or pit.  Personally I chose my complexion over getting it done fast and cheap.  For almost a year it seemed like we weren't making any progress but now all that's left is nice smooth skin on my "goatee". Still working on my cheeks...

• 3 weeks later...

odd question, but what about body hair? is that something im just gonna have to deal with or is that something that is apart of electrolysis

Guest Rachel Gia

I know little about this but I think laser is more common and again it is dependent on the color.

Men get their bikini lines done all the time and competitive body builder are basically free from body hair so start there maybe.

:)

• Forum Moderator

I believe for body hair that laser may work out as the hair type is different that that on your head or face.  It is generally finer hair so if you go on HRT it will ultimately be more fine if it came back (like vellus).  

You can get electrolysis on your body but I thing it would be a horribly long and painful process.  

On 12/18/2017 at 12:41 PM, DenimAndLace said:

You'll learn to tolerate it but it's never the highlight of MY week.

Yes, it's like BD-SM but without the bondage! 

Jani

@Jani423  Haha.  The torture chamber from, "The Princess Bride" comes to mind often when I walk into my electrologist's office.

@Sk1ttles I have salt and pepper with some occasional dark reds so I'm a "good" candidate for laser and this is what my electrologist told me.  Laser is ideal for black hair, poor for red hair and doesn't work on grey or white hair.  Even on an ideal candidate, laser doesn't work well on "body hair".  She said it usually ends up being patchy on the legs, arms, chest and back.  This is all anecdotal evidence but hopefully it will give you a foundation to ask your own questions as you look for a hair removal person.  You might be pleasantly surprised that it becomes LESS of an issue as you transition.  For example, I've done nothing with the moderate to minor chest hair I had (other than shave it occasionally) and now, two years after beginning HRT, I rarely shave what little is left.  Your mileage may vary. 

I found HRT (if you decide to go that route) eliminated most of my body hair. What remains I shave once every three weeks, which makes even my cis-girlfriends jealous. 

I did laser first,  and had gotten rid of all of my dark hairs and beard shadow by the 8th session. Electolosis takes forever, but I was doing hour and a half sessions about once every month for 12 months until I lost my job. I can go without shaving for a day until things start bugging me, but even then it is not extremely noticiable until the nest day. It rarely happens that I do not shave though..

• 4 weeks later...

Electrolysis only hair removal is probably the worst thing about being a natural blonde.  What little dark hair I have is red, so it is all electrolysis.  And having red hair only adds to the pain.  I am going weekly for an hour and that is about the most I can take.

On the plus side, since my electrologist started by zapping my dark hairs, the remaining hairs are white and not visible once they have been shaved...I have no five O'clock shadow until the second day...which only happens on days when I stay home or when I have an electrolysis appointment.  

I am doing ibuprofen and a topical anesthetic and it still hurts.  But at least I can stand it.  But I do look forward to life after electrolysis!

On 1/31/2018 at 9:54 PM, Rabbit said:

But I do look forward to life after electrolysis!

Congrats on bravely entering the world of electrolysis, Rabbit! It sounds like your blonde/red hair is a real challenge but remember to keep your eye on the prize - a smooth, lovely face with no shaving. I hope your pain regimen continues to work for you, and I like that you're not going at this too aggressively. Good luck!!!!!!!

Gwen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Hi Rabbit!

I know I have a long way to go, still hiding behind the beard... I loved all the info, thanks for sharing.

Am I the only one here that thinks it’s funny that a rabbit is talking about hare removal?:P

squishy hugs,

Jae

• Forum Moderator

I have a little over 100 hours on the table and its really looking good after two years.  Admittedly I've taken time off for two surgeries and vacations.  What's left now is definitely new growth that is fine hair.  In the last few minutes of each session I've had my electrologist start on my brows and those pesky ear hairs us older girls get.  I'm tired of plucking both areas.   

As I've written previously, it is painful but the results are priceless.  Hang in there! 

Jani

• Forum Moderator

OMG! Ear fur is terrible! Of course it is worse for us bears...

Hugs,

Jae

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 4:43 PM, jae bear said:

Hi Rabbit!

I know I have a long way to go, still hiding behind the beard... I loved all the info, thanks for sharing.

Am I the only one here that thinks it’s funny that a rabbit is talking about hare removal?:P

squishy hugs,

Jae

For that reason alone, I put it off as long as I could.  :harhar:  Undoubtedly, that thought has brought a lot of chuckles to a lot of folks I know and that is all to the good. 

• Forum Moderator

HA! That’s too funny! I am so glad folks like my little observation... I have to get serious with an electrologist, my wife bought me a waxing kit, but I don’t think it works quite the same... Back to the Rabbit topic though, oddly enough I have always envisioned my new self as a lilac or lavender bunny, I also call my wife Bunny (since before we married 15 years ago) and as a child she used to have a lavender stuffed bunny that she told all her worries, fears and problems... I am starting to think there is a link to it all somehow. Lately when I eat dinner with my youngest daughter at home, she has noticed I am on a diet and eating mostly salad, vegetables and fruit, she has commented several times that I must have spent too much time with the bunnies (she’s one too) and if I keep going I’ll end up one myself. Now of course I don’t mind this at all, but it felt strange when she said “you won’t be a bear any more, but you could be a rabbit and live with us bunnies” ... Huh, I think the kids onto something there!

Hugs,

Jae

"Rabbit" comes from the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.  I was on a project many years ago and we all seemed to take after characters in 'Through the Looking Glass'.  Since I was always running late for meetings, I got tagged as The White Rabbit

Fast forward to when I prepared for my transition and I was trying to come up with a name for folks to call me.  I had not decided on a female name (and the one closest to my male name is over-subscribed), so I went back to 'Rabbit'.  It works, everyone likes it, and no one blinks when I show up wearing rabbit ears.  Some of my friends have started calling me 'Bunny' and I am fine with that.

The only problem is gauging how much candy to buy at Easter time.  When I show up with my basket, I don't want to run out too early.  But on the other hand, too much means temptation when I go home with what is left.

The best advantage to 'Rabbit' is that almost no one knows or cares what my legal name actually is.  But everyone knows who I am (Just ask MarcieMarie12)! 

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Moderator

Oh I know it’s a little late coming back to this post, but I did get an electrolysis appointment just before Mother’s Day, which now I realize I need to reschedule as I don’t want to celebrate Mother’s Day with my wife and my aunt with a red bumpy face, they deserve better than that. I just need to transfer some information from my phone so I can give her a call and make sure that she understands I need to reschedule. Everyone in my family that knows is telling me this is going to hurt hurt hurt hurt, but I honestly feel like I can take it, I’ve put up with a lot of pain over the years from various injuries and this is something I very much want so we’ll see how it goes.

Hugs,

Jae

50 minutes ago, jae bear said:

Oh I know it’s a little late coming back to this post, but I did get an electrolysis appointment just before Mother’s Day, which now I realize I need to reschedule as I don’t want to celebrate Mother’s Day with my wife and my aunt with a red bumpy face, they deserve better than that. I just need to transfer some information from my phone so I can give her a call and make sure that she understands I need to reschedule. Everyone in my family that knows is telling me this is going to hurt hurt hurt hurt, but I honestly feel like I can take it, I’ve put up with a lot of pain over the years from various injuries and this is something I very much want so we’ll see how it goes.

Hugs,

Jae

Honey have you had Bikini wax? That hurts. :) The electrolysis is much more intense then laser treatment but also much more effective. I think you can handle it. Drink some Wine before you go. :)

Yeah, it's going to hurt, especially the upper lip area. Some other areas (like the neck), not so bad. Also, you could be doing just fine in one area and then all of a sudden there's one spot close to a nerve and it hurts more than the last 10.

Get some EMLA cream and apply it liberally beforehand to numb the area.

Don't be afraid to ask for a short break if you need to during the session. You're the customer. :)

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Lizzie McTrucker said:

Yeah, it's going to hurt, especially the upper lip area. Some other areas (like the neck), not so bad.

Yes it all depends upon where your nerves are.  The upper lip is a bear but the hairs are thinner now and it is easier than when they were larger.  I tolerate my cheeks well and certain areas of my under chin and neck.   Other areas of my neck send pulses through to my toes!  YRMV!  

Jani  

• 3 weeks later...

Oh goodness. This doesn’t sound like fun at all. I was just telling my wife that I thought it was time to start this process. 

From what I read, laser works well for dark hair?? I have dark dark hair. No gray (40 and not a 1!!) no whites. And I have pretty thin facial hair. I tried growing a beard last year and all my friends just made fun of my awful “Irish” beard. Lol. 

Am I correct in my assumptions? Should I start this now? I once tried to wax my facial hair. That hurt more than a bikini wax! I hope it’s not like that. And don’t ever try that if you’re thinking about it. So much blood. ?

Kirsten, I've just started laser hair removal on my neck. Pretty much same skin and hair here except that my facial hair is really thick. I've only had one session, so it's too early to tell, but I'm likely to post about my progress. I decided to start with the neck because it's less obvious in case the effects are very visible. Maybe (probably) they aren't, then I can just go ahead with the rest without worrying.

What I can say now, a bit more than a week after my first treatment, is that today I managed to more or less cleanly shave my neck, and what's more stunning, an electric razor has done the trick. I can't remember the last time my neck was so clean-looking even using wet shaving. Will be interesting to see how it grows back. I think at this point it's still fairly full. There were some less hairy spots before shaving, but not very noticeable yet.

This also gives me some hope that the next time will be (even!) less painful. It was really not very noticeable, except at those spots where I didn't manage to shave properly. Wherever there's a hair left, the laser rewards it with the feeling of a rubber band hitting your skin. But it's not that the whole procedure feels like it. Most of it causes at best some slight discomfort and a warm feeling. The salon I've picked has a fairly modern laser with a good cooling system though. That probably helps to reduce the discomfort. Mostly it feels like the sun shining on the skin.