• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trans* farmers?

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I'm sure i'm not alone.  ours is a relatively small farm by many standards.  We have a herd of 40 meat goats  which are sold for the most part to the halal market.  We also produce approximately 75 gallons of maple syrup in the early spring which is somewhat unusual for NJ.  I started a sawmill operation up about 10 years ago to handle a plantation of white pine that my father had planted when i was a child.  There is no softwood market for softwood logs here but the lumber sells well.  At almost 70 with a dodgy heart i'm a bit limited but enjoy keeping busy on the land.  My son and his family live next door in my father's old house and he helps at times but is busy as a public defender.

Farming in NJ is difficult but there is a great market here for our products.  Hope to hear form others who deal with gender while repairing machinery or handling livestock.

Hugs,

Charlize

Well I am not quite the same kind of farmer, but I do grow medical cannabis. Indoor though so things are not really the same. But it is a valid and LEGAL grow. And I do carry multiple patients and create medicines from flower to concentrates to edibles depending on what they require. I also donate to a local family who have a child that needs cbd concentrates for a medical condition that causes seizures. 

Beyond that I teach others how to do it for themselves, set up their own systems, and get them started.  And on occasion I have even gotten to go into larger commercial ops as a consultant for setups and strain recommendations. 

I started this about 6 years ago with the hopes of making it into a career. Unfortunately the cost to get a commercial startup is so immense I’m stuck in a smaller scale setup for now. But Now I am simply hoping it will support me after retirement in 12-15 years. And hopefully by then I’ll be in a new location with a nice greenhouse rather than what I have now. 

Wish I did have a small farm, we are into growing edible things in between the flowers. Three years ago we had four tomato plants and we wound up canning 27 quarts of tomatoes. This year I bought a Mexican grown vine ripened beefsteak tomato and harvested the seeds. We started them indoors in peat cups and currently have ten plants going, so I expect we will be busy eventually. We grew several pickle cucumber vines and canned several quarts of dills and several more of sweet pickles. I bought a commercial electric meat grinder that we use for making our own Italian sausage and for grinding up cucumbers and other stuff for making relish. We really need a mini-farm to have a real garden and I'd like to have a dozen Rhode Island Red hens. 

IMG_0071.jpg

• Forum Moderator

My little "farm" has some flowers but the main crop is grass.  Boy, how I hate to mow the lawn!!! ?

Just now, Marci said:

@#%&* Got no idea how to quote someone......Anyway was wondering whose idea it was to have lawns? There has to be better things to do with our time than following a lawnmower around the yard.

• Forum Moderator

When I lived in Virginia Beach years ago our yards were small and we were required to maintain them.  My neighbor to the right was like me saying, "I'll mow it but I'm not going to encourage it!"  

To quote, just highlight the passage you want to quote with your cursor.  A small pop up will ask "Quote Selection?"  Clicking it inserts it in a new dialogue box.  

Just now, Marci said:

@#%&* Got no idea how to quote someone......Anyway was wondering whose idea it was to have lawns? There has to be better things to do with our time than following a lawnmower around the yard.

Jani

• Forum Moderator

Jani next time you get to Jersey bring a dog crate and take a couple of goats home to do the lawn for you.

Hugs,

Charlize

12 hours ago, Jani said:

To quote, just highlight the passage you want to quote with your cursor.  A small pop up will ask "Quote Selection?"  Clicking it inserts it in a new dialogue box.

Thanks Jani, I knew it couldn't be a convoluted process!

• Forum Moderator

Yes that is all I need!  Goats!!

I wanted a "goat" when I was younger but it was GTO!

Jani

I graduated college with a Livestock Technology diploma in 1994 and worked on different farms and ranches. I grew up in the farming industry raising pigs, cows and at one time we had 57 goats. That being said I will not get another goat ever again because of the stink of the billy goats and the taste of the milk. Our lawn mowers were calves we let run around the yard so we just watch what they could get into.

I would love to have some land and raise some livestock and grow a garden. My son would have to do the work of looking after the animals mostly but I think I could manage to work in the garden with my disabilities.

Laura Beth 

• 5 months later...

Not sure if I would say we farm but we are country.  We have two horses, one goat, one ewe, 8 hens and 2 roosters, four dogs and a cat.  In the summer we patio grow (because of the goat) vegetables and herbs.  When it REALLY gets to winter we heat 2/3s of the house by an outdoor wood furnace.  To take the edge off the oil heat we use, we have an old Glenwood parlor stove in the TV room that we use often when we are home.  I wish I could say we make money off the critters but they are just hay burners.  This year I am doing a trade off for our wood...half for the logger and half for us.  We give away the eggs we get over run with.  So maybe we are farmers?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 87 Guests (See full list)

• Susie
    • AndreeaAethena
    • Andrea D
    • Ivy
    • Vidanjali
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Missing_in_action
    Newest Member
    Missing_in_action

1. Bowie Ellis
      Bowie Ellis
      (19 years old)
    2. Damien Mcknight
      Damien Mcknight
      (18 years old)
    3. JJ
      JJ
      (77 years old)
    4. KathyLauren
      KathyLauren
      (70 years old)
    5. memyselfandwe
      memyselfandwe
      (44 years old)
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Finally some officers came out of the third chopper, led by a fellow who swaggered as he walked. "Captain Pomposity" Taylor muttered to herself, and took an instant dislike of him.   He and his officers, accompanied by a few enlisted, came up to Bob and Taylor.   "I advise you to step away from the building. Step away NOW."  With the Cobras overhead and all the weapons everywhere, they complied.   "Bob," said Captain Pomposity. "Colonel," said Bob. "You two know each other?" "We work together," the colonel said,"now and again.  I have been meaning to come out and look at this place for a long time." He frowned at the klaxon, took out a phone and punched a few buttons.  The klaxon stopped.  He walked over to the door, poked his head inside for a moment, and then shut it.  He made sure it was locked.  "Don't do that again without proper authorization." "I thought that was expired." "Oh, no. No.  In fact, there is talk of starting it up again. But we have not been introduced. I am Colonel Mayberry.  Bob, you sure know how to pick them? What is the name of this little bunny?" "That is the wrong way to -" But by then Taylor had demonstrated a perfect right lunge punch.  Bob admired the form and that she had not telegraphed it. She followed it up with a right hook, got inside his guard, tripped him and was sitting on his chest, knees pinning his arms, flailing away and yelling "Apologize!" She was not very strong, but she didn't need to be. It took three men to pull her off.  "Taylor, it's all right." She was breathing hard. Her arms were held on either side.  "He needs to apologize." "I have twenty men here in fit condition, well armed and combat ready, and three Apache helicopters overhead. And you attack me." "Apologize."  If Taylor could have broken free she would have been on him again. "We could use people like you in the Army.  That was good. Wow.  I boxed at West Point. Wow.  You got the drop on me.  Okay, I apologize." Taylor relaxed.   They let go of her and she went over and meekly put her arm through Bob's elbow, the dainty little meek  thing that she was. Purely harmless and ornamental.  That was Taylor.  Demure. The Colonel had broken glasses, a split lip and his nose was bleeding. "I am Taylor, Bob's FIANCEE", she said, looking at Bob.  He knew she was not going to let this go. "I am Colonel Mayberry.  It is a, a  pleasure to meet you." He was still holding a handkerchief and blood was dripping to the ground. "Colonel, I represent the company that owns this property. I think I have a right to know what is going on." "You have not been read in.  And this is actually Navy, not Army.  He turned to Bob.  "Bob, I know people over there. This is all I can do.  You should get a call or something in a few days, and they you can tell her what is going on." "Sounds good." With a few parting words and so forth, and cautious looks at Taylor, they were gone. "Bob, what is going on?" "I can't tell you. It's classified.  And we have more important things to do today." "You have to buy me a ring, among other things." "i am not going to argue with you.  Where did you learn to fight like that?" "Roosevelt Grade School.  When you are sissy you get in a lot of fights. Dad thought it would toughen me up." "Remind me not to argue with you." "Oh, I will."    
    • Abigail Genevieve
      "Let's go," he said.  They were both in denim and boots.  She wanted to go out to the plant and look at one of the buildings, different from all the others, with A659 stenciled on the side.  It was heavily locked but had keys.  Staff had told her there was something strange about it.  He drove his Wrangler.   "I was going to ask you about what the doctor said, but the walls have ears." "I know.  They shamelessly listen to everything and it is all over town.  They can't help it, the dears, we are strangers in town and they are thirsty for novelty." "They call you the Tornado."  She laughed.  He did.  She was a skinny little thing, meek and mild. "They call you the Greek god. Not far off." "Heh." "Doc took me off hormones to run tests and get a clear idea of what is going on.  I am kind of scared I will grow a beard and get a deep voice and you will never want to marry me." "Don't worry about it.  Before hormones you looked like a preadolescent girl. Nothing to worry about." "So if I turn into Sasquatch you would still marry me?" "Yes." "Will you marry me?" "Yes." "We are engaged! Hah! I've been waiting since high school for this." "We are not.  The guy pops the question. And there is a ring involved." She pulled the band out of her hair and stuck it on his right wrist as he drove. "There." "That's not a proper engagement." "Is." "Is not." "Then do better.  Find a ring and a decent spot and do it.  You have until sundown.  Taylor's rules." "I don't know where a jewelry store is." "Let me handle it."  She speed dialed.  "Hey, John? Yeah, this is Taylor from Millivlle.  You remember me?  Great. My FIANCE and I will be by later today to pick up the ring I ordered." She turned to him.  "YOU find a location.  They close at five." You better have a good speech. Remember, I do presentations for a living." They drove for a minute. "Aren't you going to kiss me?" That took a few minutes.   The guard unlocked the gate.  She was surprised to see he knew where to go.  Now they parked the Wrangler near A659.  He got out and sent a text.  She didn't catch the name.  "Don't shoot"?  "Yeah. I think you are going to meet some of the people I work with today. Some of them are rather excitable." "Later, I guess." "Sooner or later." "This is a huge parking lot." "I guess they used to have a lot of workers here." "You know all about it." She looked at the sign next to the entrance door.  "DO NOT ENTER WITHOUT PROPER AUTHORIZATION. TRESPASSERS ARE SERVED NOTICE THEY WILL BE PROSECUTED UNDER THE US MILITARY CODE IF THEY PROCEED PAST THIS POINT."   It was faded.  There was a number to call.  Taylor looked at the wall, windowless for the first twenty feet off the ground, intact glass above it.  There were railroad tracks and a crane on one side and she had seen steel doors there.  "This hasn't been used in decades.  Whatever classification it ever had has surely expired.  And my company owns it." "You go ahead and unlock it." She looked at him.  "You know a lot more about this than you are telling." "I do." "Is this the real reason you are working remote in Millville?" "It's the reason they let me move here.  I found it when I was looking to do exactly that." "What's in there?" "I am sure my friends will tell you." "Are they in there?" Bizarre. "No." "You are enjoying this." "Unlock it. But don't go in." She did, and a klaxon went off.  She looked around. "I don't see anyone." "Just wait." Five minutes later a jet streaked across the sky. "Was that it?" He shook his head. Fifteen minutes after that was the faint thump-thump of helicopters.  Soon three Apache helicopters appeared overhead, circling.  She saw guns and missile tubes.  "Your friends?" "Some of them.  Just wait." Three big Chinook helicopters arrived, circled the building and then set down, together, at the same time,  in a triangle on the parking lot.  The klaxon was still going off. Troops piled out: Army soldiers in combat gear clutching rifles.  Someone bellowed "Secure the perimeter! Move! Move! Move!" And the troops did, some around the choppers, and the rest around A659.  
    • Mmindy
      I'm with you on the Facebook avatars. My sisters asked me about mine
    • MaeBe
      All these beautiful people in my biography, I feel so blessed!   No fallout from the Facebook avatar thing, yet. I instantly deleted it, but I really do like the avatar I created. I'll have to recreate it when I'm more out to friends and family.   I guess they weren't dancing, one was blowing a birthday horn and mine was "like, omg, so surprised!"
    • Mmindy
      Happy anniversary, Kathy.   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Ivy
      This is what I'm seeing too. I hate it but it is the current reality.  I expect more trouble in the future since "they now have the perfect excuse to let go the brakes." Kinda funny how quickly things turned against us.  I don't think we can really count on the Democrats either. 
    • Betty K
      I'm sorry, I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but I think to an extent the truth is irrelevant here. There is an absolute torrent of transphobes-were-right-all-along stories emerging in the wake of the Cass Review, not to mention the WPATH Files. These are coming not only from the usual anti-trans suspects, but from reputable newspapers like the Washington Post and the New York Times. (David Brooks in the Times: "Hilary Cass is the kind of hero the world needs today.") And while I'm aware that both those outlets have been leaning anti-trans for a while, they now have the perfect excuse to let go the brakes.   Ultimately, all that's needed for governments to ban these treatments is enough public support, and I suspect that support may be rapidly growing. Since I work with trans kids, cis folks often bring up the topic with me when they have "concerns", and I have been amazed at the number of otherwise reasonable people who have latched on to classic anti-trans tropes like social contagion or the idea that trauma causes transness. Whereas in the past they were generally convinced quite easily by my obviously superior knowledge, I'm expecting the task of convincing them to get harder starting as of now.
    • April Marie
      In those dimensions, not even Sophia Loren could hold a candle to me. A Goddess....in my own mind. lol
    • Sally Stone
      So, just imagine how spectacularly beautiful you'd be in four-dimensions April.
    • Ivy
      That does sound hard to keep up with.  I use patches, changed twice a week.  But I have to have my phone set to remind me.  I just don't think about it.
    • April Marie
      Oh, I am drop-dead gorgeous in a totally different dimension @Sally Stone! :-)
    • Sally Stone
      Ladies, each of your comments makes me realize my decision to share my journey was a good one.  Before committing, I worried that my storyline wouldn't be of interest to anyone. I'm so glad I'm striking a chord with many of you.
    • Ivy
    • LC
      I am sorry to hear that. It just means something better is in your future!
    • Sally Stone
      How we look in photographs isn't really anything we can control.  I've actually searched for answers and there are lots of good explanations out there like this one:   https://www.foxbackdrop.com/blogs/news/beautiful-photogenic-reasons-tricks-foxbackdrop#:~:text=Based on the light-creation,angular faces are usually photogenic.   The simplest explanation is a picture captures our image two-dimensionally when in real-life, we are seen three-dimensionally.  A person can be beautiful or handsome in real life but the two-dimensional image can be way different.  So, for those of us that don't think we look good in a picture, fear not.  We are much better looking in three-dimensions.  
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.