• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is it natural to stop eating your normal amounts of food when you are thinking you are transgender MtF?

LucyTheSorceress

I used to eat a footlong subway every day. Or gregs baguette, sausage roll and pizza. Oh and a bacon+sausage roll every morning too.

That is until gender dysphoria hit me.

I have completely lost my appetite to eat this much. I feel as though it's my body telling me that I shouldn't eat and instead get slimmer from the 15st I am to a more feminine weight.

As if my brain is telling me "yes! don't eat, get ready to become the beautiful girl you are in the inside, on the outside".

Omg I'm ftm and I have the same feeling too. Not that I used to stuff my face all the time but I have been cutting down on so much junk... I dunno its just like I'll see a chocolate bar and I'll be like actually I'm not even hungry or I just won't eat as much when it comes to meals.

I think feeling happier in myself has stop me needing the sugar rush to feel better :) I've actually started working out a bit more too... Very strange lol :D 

• Forum Moderator

I think it is very important to eat a balanced diet of healthy foods, and only going for the "bad" things (sugary or fatty) as a treat for doing good by eating healthy.  I don't know if there is any correlation to dysphoria and appetite.  I do say to not be fooled into thinking there is a "perfect body" and you can attain it by not eating.  The perfect body is the one you have.  Treat it well.  We only get one and it's all you have!

Jani

you must syill eat but cut out junk and have a balanced diet although loss of appetit does happen it happened to me but i never stopped eating i just cut down

I know with me, my apitite dropped as I wrestled with my marriage, gender identity and all the anxiety and strss that it caused. Lost 30lbs that way. But then gained back half of it. Now that I am on HRT and post op, I have to watch what I eat. If I ate like a guy does I would gain 10 lbs in less than a week. So balanced diests are a must.

I am only 6-7 weeks into hrt now, but I haven’t noticed my appetite change that much. But I sure do crave spicy and salty like crazy! I would definitely work on weight loss while the t is still in you though. It’ll be harder once it isn’t. But a well balanced diet rich in protein will help you thruout this process. And water. Lots and lots and lots of water. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Hey Lucy, 

I think that’s a pretty common feeling, I have also cut back big time on the quantities of food I eat. I want to have a more feminine size body as well, but it’s not just about eating less it’s about eating well and smart.  You certainly don’t want to strip anything from your muscles by reducing your caloric intake so low your body demands nourishment. I have been finding recently that dietary changes account for 25% of my weight loss and one hour of exercise on a stationary bicycle every day accounts for 75% of my weight loss, so maybe some modest exercise on a regular basis would allow you to properly nourish your body...  I used to eat like you dId,  and at one point I weigh 350 pounds, but worked that down to about 240 until I started transition. I’m now at 190 waiting to get into the 180 zone, and my diet consists of protein in the morning in modest but appropriate amounts,  a small lunch including some carbs and healthy fats like avocado, and a dinner salad heavy on the iceberg as I’m trying to keep my vitamin K   Low as I am watching my blood clot risk factors during HRT. Just a tip on blood clot  risk reduction, I put regular virgin all of oil, or I guess just regular olive oil not  extra virgin, in my salad every day as the phenols reduce risk and improve the health of your veins.  And when in season I often add kiwi fruit to my morning breakfast, as well as some daily vitamins like vitamin a, vitamin E, a B complex that has many other needed vitamins and biotin to get my hair growing ( thank you chicken little for that tip it’s working wonders!) And as others have said drink lots and lots of water, staying hydrated is important but no matter what your life revolves around, but healthy skin and healthy organs need lots of water !

Here’s a picture of yesterday‘s workout, lots of sweat requires lots of water, and I find a stationary bicycle is low impact and easy for me to do every day for one hour. Surprisingly it  takes two big handfuls of mousse to get my hair flatten down into male mode !

Hugs, 

Jackie 

E5208198-DC5C-4383-B464-4AAF4875D1D9.jpeg

• 1 month later...

i must admit that since my separation and being on my own, and my dressing urges have increased by 1000% that i have started  watching what i eat to slim down and achieve a more feminine figure

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 85 Guests (See full list)

• Ashley0616
    • SamC
    • Willow
    • Mia Marie
    • MaybeRob
    • VickySGV
    • April Marie
    • Adrianna Danielle