• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Good morning All. Coffees on.

KymmieL

46 minutes ago, Ivy said:

Yeah, the "Holidays" are not an exclusively christian thing.

And yet, Christmas has been an official U.S. holiday since June 28, 1870 when president Grant signed the bill that made it law. 

Everyone is free to celebrate whatever they want, and enjoy said holiday, so enjoy the season!

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willow

• KymmieL

• Mmindy

• Ivy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Marcie Jensen said:

Christmas has been an official U.S. holiday since June 28, 1870 when president Grant signed the bill that made it law. 

Yeah.  All this talk about a "war on Christmas" is nonsense.  It's like trying to pick a fight just to fight.  Kinda un-christmasy.

9 hours ago, Trans22 said:

@Willow Linux isn't as disk, memory, or CPU hungry as Windows - so you can play with Linux on old, but otherwise functional, hardware/PCs that are no longer supported by the latest version of Windows.

I was a Windows 7 user until Microsoft ended its support. That was an opportune time for me to try Linux.

Despite its many touted advantages, I found using the Zorin distro didn't meet my needs in some ways. I found the requirement to enter strings of coding cumbersome. Also, I'm a full-time writer who needs to respond quickly to clients, and the LibreOffice word processing program was problematic compared to the software I'd been using with Windows. My favorite image editor wouldn't work at all with Linux, and I could not find anything else that I liked. I should mention that I run a lean and mean workstation because I have to get things done quickly and efficiently. The fact that my desktop screen has so few icons is testament to the fact that I abhor bloatware.

I've bought nothing but refurbished PCs for years, and the latest one came with Windows 10 installed. That's what I'm using now, and I have no complaints.

Linux is a tiny player in the personal computing market - about 2% share of market I think.  I didn't get into it by choice - using it was essential for computer science at University and for my subsequent research (PhD in applied Mathematics).  I then got a job managing a research Linux cluster, so Linux is essential for me.  I now have four personal computers - 2 MacOS & 2 Ubuntu Linux.

3 hours ago, Hannah Renee said:

I'm 70 years old, and until this very date one year ago, I had never heard of boxing day.

From memory, boxing day started as a reversal of roles day.  Rich people would "serve" and appreciate their servants on boxing day.  I wonder whether the practice is still in place anywhere?

3 hours ago, Trans22 said:

From memory, boxing day started as a reversal of roles day.  Rich people would "serve" and appreciate their servants on boxing day.  I wonder whether the practice is still in place anywhere?

It is:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

Astrid

33 minutes ago, KymmieL said:

I first heard of boxing day from an episode of M.A.S.H.

It is mentioned in "A little Princess".

But I was aware of it.   Not really celebrated in the  US.   But we do (or did) do something similar.  You might leave cookies or a tip for the letter carrier.  

I worked collecting trash in public works for years.  At Christmas time some people would leave gifts or tips for the workers.  It was very much anticipated and appreciated.  Sadly over the years as things became more automated, it faded away.

I remember one lady who always baked one of her legendary pound cakes for each of my crew.  She took particular care that "her guys" got them - making that point at city hall even!  I know that my kids looked forward to this every year.  It was part of our Christmas.

There was a kind of personal relationship with each other that sadly I feel we are losing.

My family started gathering on the 26th when one of my siblings would work on Christmas days decades ago and it evolved into a tradition even after that job was no more, so the growing knowledge of Boxing Day just gave us a different way to put it when we talk about it instead of saying 'the 26th' we now have some way to say it that sounds a little holiday-ish. 

We gathered again yesterday and so before that I came out (3rd calendar year now that I have been doing the 'coming out' thing headed to year 4!) to one more family member who somehow hadn't heard yet. 

The support I have recieved has grown.The people that come in to work out have been there since the sexual assault happened to me.Boss banned the guy that did it to me from entering.Found out the police have finished their investigation,he will be charged with one count of sexual assault and a hate crime next month.Seen it was a hate crime as well.See the therapist today.I am happy with the progress,he is going away for a long time if convicted

• Forum Moderator

Good morning everyone,

It's the day after Christmas here in our house. The two youngest grandsons want to play with ever toy, and game all at once. We had a great family gathering last night.

This morning is moving slow.

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

• Forum Moderator

Good Morning

I didn’t get much sleep last night so I am definable behind.

I don’t recall when or how I first learned about Boxing Day.  I believe you will find it celebrated in a good deal of the United Kingdom including Canada our neighbor to the north.  

@heatherd I am glad that so far things are working out (pun intended). I hope the guy gets all he has coming to him.  He should have to go on the registry as well as spend time in jail.  

now your task at hand is to start putting this behind you.  I know that won’t be easy.

Willow

image.thumb.png.b1e38544c96e0a24064c23fbe8395a98.png

45 minutes ago, Willow said:

Good Morning

I didn’t get much sleep last night so I am definable behind.

I don’t recall when or how I first learned about Boxing Day.  I believe you will find it celebrated in a good deal of the United Kingdom including Canada our neighbor to the north.  

@heatherd I am glad that so far things are working out (pun intended). I hope the guy gets all he has coming to him.  He should have to go on the registry as well as spend time in jail.  

now your task at hand is to start putting this behind you.  I know that won’t be easy.

Willow

image.thumb.png.b1e38544c96e0a24064c23fbe8395a98.png

Found he has done it in the past,got a plea deal doing a few years and on probation for 2 years.It is going to take one step at a time to recover from it.I want him to suffer in prison for a long time.

Seen the therapist and know what has to be worked on.Plus she told me about a support group for transsexual and transgender women that are sexual crime victims.Plus I can bring someone that has supported me.My twin brother is going with me.The sexual assault I went through,he was outraged what this guy did to me

• Forum Moderator

Hi

Well I got my baking orders for tomorrow, another loaf of bread. At least  I’ve got a decent recipe to work with.

so I guess that’s on my schedule for tomorrow.

Willow

@heatherd I'm glad you are getting the support you need.  The prosecution and therapy processes have got to be difficult.

My assault wasn't sexual in nature, but I'm feeling a bit apprehensive as the trial approaches.  Normal, I guess.  My family is angry at him, but I'm not really.  Frustrated at being injured and losing months of my artistic abilities, but not angry. Not sure how I will feel about it later, I just want it all to be over. 

• Forum Moderator

Good morning everyone 

the sun is out the temperature is rising it’s gonna be a good day.  Ok that’s enough partial song lyrics.

You know those times you can’t win, no matter what?  Well, I had one last night/this morning.  I was awake and our dog was on the floor next to the bed.  I patted the bed and whispered her name and she came to me. Laid on me and I was petting her.  This morning I said something about it and my wife complained about it and that I didn’t do it with her.  I commented that I can’t get to her because she is on the edge of the bed.  I got blasted for that.  Truth is we have a king bed with individual mattresses and adjustable.  What works for me doesn’t work for her and vice versa.  And there is a gap in the middle. I would have to lay in the gap.  Can’t win some days.

enjoy your day.  

Willow

image.thumb.png.7ae0f512bf271c424d3ebff9543a54f2.png

Tough holiday this year. My mother died Christmas Eve after years of chemo.

No life insurance. Probably a couple bucks in her savings and no other family but me to take care of her affairs and everything.

I am managing.  She didn't want a funeral. I am cremating her. I have a close step-sister who is supportive and my bestie who I absolutely love with all my heart there if I need anything. Hoping this doesn't wipe my savings out but I will get by. 

With that other things have turned a corner too as my bestie who has PTSD, I am assuming from sexual trauma, finally came over to my place and we gift exchanged. She gets anxious even with being in cars with other people too. But I have never experienced this deep of a love that is still aromantic and yet delivers in so many ways.

Just goes to prove be patient and gentle, if it's worth having, it's worth waiting for.

Just life stuff...clouds, linings.

22 hours ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

@heatherd I'm glad you are getting the support you need.  The prosecution and therapy processes have got to be difficult.

My assault wasn't sexual in nature, but I'm feeling a bit apprehensive as the trial approaches.  Normal, I guess.  My family is angry at him, but I'm not really.  Frustrated at being injured and losing months of my artistic abilities, but not angry. Not sure how I will feel about it later, I just want it all to be over. 

Mine was in the genitals and breasts.The prosecutor is getting pressured to do a plea deal and drop the hate crime charges by the guy's lawyer.Has told him no,no plea deals

8 minutes ago, heatherd said:

Mine was in the genitals and breasts.The prosecutor is getting pressured to do a plea deal and drop the hate crime charges by the guy's lawyer.Has told him no,no plea deals

The prosecutor in my case has no incentive for a plea deal.  The evidence is extremely solid.  I'm small enough I might have been killed, and from what I understand they considered a charge of attempted murder.  The prosecutor is going for the maximum sentence of 20 years, and I'm 99% sure the judge and jury will do it. 

My attacker could have been tried already, but his attorney has gotten the date pushed back and even attempted to get the case heard in another area.  There will probably be appeals later, so who knows how long this will drag on.  He was denied any bail...for his own safety, and for flight risk. Our judge knows my community would probably tear him to pieces if he didn't run. 

@stveee, I'm so sorry for your loss. Particularly at this time of year. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. As well as for your bestie. PTSD is very debilitating and her progress is actually quite remarkable. I know from personal experience that it can take years to overcome. God bless you both.