• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Good morning All. Coffees on.

KymmieL

• Forum Moderator

@Willowis there a way you can use nylon self locking nuts and bolts to secure the plate? This would slow down or discourage the next thief. 

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willow

• KymmieL

• Mmindy

• Ivy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Mmindy said:

@Willowis there a way you can use nylon self locking nuts and bolts to secure the plate? This would slow down or discourage the next thief.

Naw, Just weld them to the truck. Ain't nobody taking them again.

Kymmie

12 minutes ago, KymmieL said:

Just weld them to the truck.

It just might work…  Unless they bring a torch.

• Forum Moderator

Good evening 

well my thought was to get tamper resistant screws.  I figure the thieves were either illegal workers from the construction going on around me, or a group of teens that were caught on camera trying to enter unlocked homes and cars.  Several of them have been arrested.  Either way, I’m going to be checking workers vehicles to see if the plate shows up.  These guys aren’t the brightest.  And of course SC license plates are aluminum and very thin so they could just rip them off.  Mine wasn’t, they went to the trouble of removing and keeping 4 screws.  

the only way to use nyloc nuts would be taking the interior panels off the tailgate.  @KymmieLmy Eddie Bauer is still in good enough shape I’d prefer not to burn the paint off with a welder.  But thanks for the laugh.  Maybe heavy steel red hot rivets?

lol

until tomorrow 

Reverend Willow. (First last and only time I will sign off that way)

14 hours ago, Mmindy said:

On the bright side of things the first birds to the feeders are always Cardinals, it's to dark to get pictures of them. 5 pair each staying close to their mate or parent if it's a juvenile.

Cool. Cardinals! First sign of spring that they're around here is cardinals, but that would be late February for me. I guess they're around in the winter in some places but I hear their call and see them use our yard, only later in the year. Just hope to make it to spring and be done with the rough of this project I've been working on for almost two years now. Hope so. I need a cheery cardinal call to cheer me on. go red birds1 

cheers,

Davie

@Willow I'm surprised anybody does license plate theft anymore... unless the person who took it has the same model of vehicle as yours, they'll get stopped as soon as an officer runs their plates and finds they don't match the vehicle.  But if you are worried about it happening again, there are theft-resistant security screws or bolts you can get.  My husband uses bolts with five-sided heads on some things, especially electrical boxes.  Most bolt heads are six-sided, and the socket for a five-sided bolt is special order and really expensive. 

• Forum Moderator

Hi, found the screws I was looking for. They are torx head with pin in the center.  They require a special driver to install or remove and the heads angled are such that pliers or vice grips won’t hold hold the head.  

@awkward-yet-sweet I may be naive but I don’t figure whoever took the plate thought beyond needing a plate for a stolen vehicle or one from south of the border and no I don’t mean the tourist trap on I95 at the north/South Carolina border by the same name.  I’ve had problems with the construction workers before.

5 minutes ago, Willow said:

Hi, found the screws I was looking for. They are torx head with pin in the center.  They require a special driver to install or remove and the heads angled are such that pliers or vice grips won’t hold hold the head.  

@awkward-yet-sweet I may be naive but I don’t figure whoever took the plate thought beyond needing a plate for a stolen vehicle or one from south of the border and no I don’t mean the tourist trap on I95 at the north/South Carolina border by the same name.  I’ve had problems with the construction workers before.

Those torx screws should do the trick.  Yeah, bits for those are available at Lowes or Harbor Freight, but it should at least deter casual thieves.  For whatever reason, most thieves don't seem to be very inventive.

Sad you've been having trouble with construction workers.  Unfortunately, it kind of adds to the incorrect stereotype of "illegal immigrant criminals."  Do you know who supervises them?  Surely they have a foreman or a project manager you could talk with?

• Forum Moderator
9 hours ago, Davie said:

Cardinals! First sign of spring that they're around here is cardinals, but that would be late February for me. I guess they're around in the winter in some places

We have one male cardinal that is over-wintering here.  It is the first time I've seen one in this area.  They are common down in the valley, but I'd never seen one on the mountain before.  So neat to have that splash of colour on a winter day!

• Forum Moderator
9 hours ago, Davie said:

I need a cheery cardinal call to cheer me on. go red birds1 

cheers,

Good morning Davie, my favorite Cardinals carry bats. Pitchers and catchers will be reporting for Spring Training soon. 

656A1DD1-88E4-4E38-BC36-68C52F260993.jpeg

• Forum Moderator

Good morning everyone, 

In our home we have a coffee service area, with her coffee grinder, and pot. She drinks decaf. Then I have a pot for stronger coffee. These two pots are separated by a KEURIG* for those times when you don’t want a full pot, or maybe prefer a tea. When I wake up, I start to full pot brewing, and because I’m inpatient, I get my first cup from the KEURIG*. 

Hot, black, and strong Folgers Black Silk.

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋💖

EBF11F7D-BD23-4AB2-92CF-54A9458BD9D1.jpeg

E7682B41-EFBF-4C7C-B94B-5D61861F4C8E.jpeg

• Forum Moderator

Good Saturday morning 

Well at least it’s sunny.  I had to pry my eyes open.  Our dog decided I needed to be awake around 2am and crept up and started nosing me for attention.  I got her to just lay beside me but she wanted more attention.  Maybe she had a doggy nightmare.  she was fine if I was petting her but if I stopped she wanted more.

@Mmindy that’s one heck of a coffee bar!  But then I’m guessing you have a good old fashioned Farmhouse.  I sure wouldn’t have room for it.  But it’s really nice!

i need to get some tools out of my storage unit and put somethings away.  

Well, I suppose I need to get moving.

hugs

Willow

11 hours ago, Davie said:

I guess they're around in the winter in some places

Yeah.  I have them all year here, lots of them.

44 minutes ago, Willow said:

Our dog decided I needed to be awake around 2am and crept up and started nosing me for attention.

My cat does this.  She is very persistent.

She will bat my nose.  If I cover up more she won't go away.  She always wins.

@Mmindy I thought the Keurig machine was amazing when I first saw one.  But my family is old-fashioned, and when I was going to get one I was firmly denied the counter space in both our main kitchen and the downstairs kitchenette 😔

GF has a couple of huge Russian samovars....one for use inside which is electric, and an outdoor one that uses charcoal. Russian tea is different than how tea is made in the USA.  There's a very concentrated tea called "zavarka" which is then diluted with hot water.  It seems overly complicated to me, but I have gotten used to it.   

Breakfast this morning was tea, a plain boiled egg, and a bowl of kasha (buckwheat pepared similar to oatmeal or grits). Simple and not particularly tasty, but at least there's plenty of it.  

• Forum Moderator
15 minutes ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

There's a very concentrated tea called "zavarka" which is then diluted with hot water.  It seems overly complicated to me, but I have gotten used to it

Well, I think your KEURIG* should have equal space in one of the kitchens.

As for the Zavarka? I would give it a fair chance to develop a taste for it.

@Willow we live in a ranch style house in a middle class neighborhood. When we built the house, I wanted the largest one story home, that would fit on the smallest lot. We knew it would be our forever home, and didn't want to climb stairs, or mow a hug yard. Suzie has decorating priorities in the house, and I can do anything I want in the 2 car garage. The only gas engines in the space I affectionately call my shop, are a Harley (year round) Spring and Summer the lawn mower, Winter the snow blower. Other than that it's a small metal fabrication/assembly area, a 36" wood lathe, bench top band saw, and full size drill press. I also have a table saw with out feed table, along side that is a combination swing arm chop saw.

I'm set,

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

• Forum Moderator

@mmindy. You sure do have a nice shop.  I had a Delta 14” bandsaw, table saw, jig saw, wood lathe, drill press all Delta cast iron except the table saw that was Sears. Lots of hand tools power and hand.  Thickness planner.  Woodworking was my hobby.  I made our entire bedroom set out of maple.  I made my daughter a memory chest for our youngest granddaughter after she died of cancer, all cherry plus some hand carving, and many more things over the years.  I get it!  Each has his priorities.  

my son now has all those now.

yes my wife gets indoor decorating.  Our coffee maker is Keurig but it’s a combination machine.  Make a cup, make a pot.  It shares counter space with a hot water pot.

Willow

Things going good for me.Went to court on Thursday,I have full guardianship of the 14 year old girl I took in.Judge was impressed  with everything.It was good for us and my family told her welcome to the family.I had to testify in court on Tueday,the man that sexually assaulted me was charged with one count of sexual assault and a hate crime last week.I was brave testifying.He faces 35 years,his attorney tried plea deal again and the prosecutor said no.I am glad the prosecutor is being good to me.He is facing 35 years now due to a couple more on his long arrest record,Rape and domestic violence conviction he did to an ex wife of his.

@Mmindy Well, the discussion about the Keurig was a long time ago.  It wasn't THAT important, so I let it go since I'm rather spoiled in other ways.  I'm used to the Russian tea, since I lived with my GF before we joined our husband's family.  Not my favorite, but its ok.  When I moved in with GF years ago, I knew I was going to be eating a lot of Russian food for the rest of my life.... not to mention dealing with her dominant nature.  

@heatherd You have definitely had a lot going on simultaneously.  I don't think I could handle two major legal issues at once.  I can only imagine the stress.  Hopefully everything will turn out well.

• Forum Moderator

Good morning campers, oops I mean coffee klach 

Cold today, rain, heavy rain, tonight and tomorrow morning.  Speaking of which, I got the Ford back up and running. One problem at a time.  Next I need to fix the fuel vent hose.  It is not connected so the computer thinks the filler cap is missing.  It isn’t easy to get to or I would have fixed it a long time ago. I’m hoping the fixing that will also clear two related codes having to do with the vapor canister.  Talk about something hard to get to.  It sat so long the battery was too weak to start it.  It has a relatively new Duracell and a new alternator so once I jumped it it charged quickly.  It also needs an oil change.  The computer is demanding 3 months or 3000 but I’ve been using synthetic so I tend to ignore that.  Guess I’ll just go back to regular oil. And let the computer have its way.  Biggest problem is the stupid roof.  The glass leaks and water gets into the car.  Now it’s in the drivers side B piller.  Pulled out the drivers seatbelt and it was wet. I’ll probably just tape it temporarily.  My wife likes to be able to open the roof but I hate them because they always seem to fail.

oh well Gorilla tape I’m a coming to get you.

@KymmieL what kind of stuff do you sell for this?

Coffee is done time to move on.  Have a safe and happy Sunday.

Willow

9 hours ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

@Mmindy Well, the discussion about the Keurig was a long time ago.  It wasn't THAT important, so I let it go since I'm rather spoiled in other ways.  I'm used to the Russian tea, since I lived with my GF before we joined our husband's family.  Not my favorite, but its ok.  When I moved in with GF years ago, I knew I was going to be eating a lot of Russian food for the rest of my life.... not to mention dealing with her dominant nature.  

@heatherd You have definitely had a lot going on simultaneously.  I don't think I could handle two major legal issues at once.  I can only imagine the stress.  Hopefully everything will turn out well.

She is glad I am her mom now.It is not looking good for him,his defense is falling apart.I see guilty verdict coming

1 hour ago, Willow said:

My wife likes to be able to open the roof but I hate them because they always seem to fail.

This.   No sunroof is a major criteria for me in a car purchase.

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Willow said:

Good morning campers, oops I mean coffee klach 

Willow, I envision passing down my shop equipment and tools to my son or grandson as I get beyond comfort levels of operating them. (Way out in the future) but in my mind. I love giving people hand made gifts. 

11 hours ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

When I moved in with GF years ago, I knew I was going to be eating a lot of Russian food for the rest of my life....

Awkward-yet-sweet, I understand you’re in a good place, and I’m happy for you. 

1 hour ago, heatherd said:

She is glad I am her mom now.It is not looking good for him,his defense is falling apart.I see guilty verdict coming

I’m so proud of you Heatherd, you’re stepping up to help/save this young person. 

Hugs, and this is my morning view out the back door. It’s a lovely sitting area when the temperature is above 50 degrees. 

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

2F1A239D-ABB7-4765-A9A8-FBEF4EEC4FA0.jpeg

• Forum Moderator

Good evening 

well, Eagles won in a blow out.  Bengals just tied it up.  I not really caring who wins. At this point I won’t have a favorite team in the superbowl either. 

@Mmindy a number of the tools I have/had were hand me downs. Delta stationary tools were my fathers.  A lot of the hand tools were my grandfather’s.  Now one thing I had for a lot of years was a John Barnes metal lathe that had been my grandfather’s.  He bought it new.  It was an 1885 vintage.  I was to make it unusable when I was done with it.  I turned it into a display piece and gave that to a machinist who was starting his own business.  The head bearing was worn out.  The feed screw was worn out.  And the hand tools are a three generation mix.  (Grandfather was born in 1866.  Father in 1893.

nice patio.  But I don’t miss the snow.

@Willow It sounds like you have a large shop and a lot of tools.  The antique ones must be really interesting!  We have two shops here...my GF's and my husband's.  IDK why GF insists on having her own, but she's got a huge lathe in there.  She makes cannon barrels from massive round bar stock....one of her many odd hobbies.  I like to watch her work, because there's something mesmerizing about watching the metal shavings come off it.  But I can't stay.  She scolds me and chases me out. 🙄