• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Good morning All. Coffees on.

KymmieL

• Replies 23.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willow

• KymmieL

• Mmindy

• Ivy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope all have a safe new years.

Not going out, safer in the basement, lol.

Nothing planned, wife isn't even getting out of her robe today.

I do have a lot of funny stories to share. stuff that happened while out there.

I'll share them later. 

Take care and stay safe, see you next year.

Hugs to all

LM❤️ 

Hi Lizzy, and everyone, I totally get the concerns about personal safety and recent events. It can be dangerous out there! In fact, where I live, we've had several recent incidents including people stealing catalytic converters in broad daylight (for the copper) and some late night prowlers who are knocking on doors at around midnight. Not good.

Here are some insight I've gained as a retired soldier and a former cop:

Short of carrying a pistol your purse, which I DON'T recommend unless you are fully trained and have a concealed carry permit which can be difficult depending on your local jurisdiction, I suggest that you get a small, keychain sized aerosol container of pepper spray and attach it to your keychain. Pepper Spray in about 97% effective against people and is non lethal. I also recommend carrying your cell phone in hand after dark and have 911 on speed dial. Any cop will tell you that calling 911 is the best defense you've got. Period.

You can also enroll in a self defense course specifically designed for women. One of the great and largely unknown truths is that with just four pounds of force, properly directed, you can put anyone on their knees and keep them there until help arrives. Avoid things like karate and kick boxing, though. Something like Krav Maga (the Israeli Defense Force's close combat system) is a better choice. It is based solely on the single objective of hand to hand combat--causing the other person to become a casualty as quickly as possible.

The one caveat I will add is this: IF YOU DECIDE TO CARRY A FIREARM GET THE PROPER TRAINING AND PERMITS!!! The corollary to that is obey the basic rules of handgun safety--

1. The weapon is always loaded. Even when you know it isn't, THE WEAPON IS ALWAYS LOADED.

2. NEVER draw it unless you are prepared to use it. Despite what Hollywood would have us believe, criminals/attackers don't respond to threats and simply producing a gun doesn't mean they will run away. 

2a. Guns are not a magic wand to simply scare people.

3. Always shoot center mass. Shooting to wound (ie: in the hand, shoulder, etc.) is nearly impossible in times of great stress, and you will have at best 1.5 seconds to react. According to the FBI, most shootouts take place at 25 yards or less and a knife wielding assailant can cover 21 feet in 1.5 seconds.

4. Have a good attorney. If you use a gun, regardless of the outcome, you will need one.

5. A phone and pepper spray are better choices.

I know this is pretty grim, but the plain truth is that it's becoming a more violent world; particularly for women. I hope I didn't upset anyone and that this helps a bit.

Hugs,

Marcie

Correction--Knife wielders can cover 21 YARDS in 1.5 seconds. Sorry. Not fully caffeinated yet. 

8 hours ago, Teri Anne said:

These days I just pack a side arm some times just in case.

I really don't like to be around violent people but anymore the lady at the grocery that flips out can be violent. Its a crazy world.

I just keep my situational awareness up. I know that even in self defense, if I were to take someone’s life I wouldn’t be able to live myself afterwards. If u carry a sidearm, you must be willing to use it AND live with the consequences. 10 years ago I might have been able to do that. Today I’m softer and kinder and way more sensitive. 

• Forum Moderator
9 minutes ago, Marcie Jensen said:

I know this is pretty grim, but the plain truth is that it's becoming a more violent world; particularly for women. I hope I didn't upset anyone and that this helps a bit.

Hugs,

Marcie

Good morning and Happy New Years Eve @Marcie Jensen

Great advice, and I would add, if you choose to carry a firearm, check into insurance for after the shooting. You will need a lawyer, and not all lawyers are versed in self defense with a hand gun.

Train, Drill, Role Play,

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

• Forum Moderator

Good morning everyone,

The coffee was HOT, black, and strong.

It was a real foggy morning at the bird feeders, and as usual the Cardinals are first to feed.

My Suzie and I will be following tradition since 2006. We'll stay in, wait until right before midnight, to turn the TV to a NYC NYE countdown. Drink a glass of bubbly, Kiss, and go directly to bed.

Happy New Year 2022 and don't think of it as 2020Too,

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

• Forum Moderator
24 minutes ago, Bri2020 said:

Today I’m softer and kinder and way more sensitive. 

Me too,

Hugs,

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Bri2020 said:

Today I’m softer and kinder and way more sensitive. 

That is what my therapist told me I was, yesterday. I do carry at times. Even though I have military firearms training, the arming and use of force briefing was ingrained in my brain having it every week. Use of a firearm is a your life is in jeopardy situation.

Kymmie 

The most effective thing I learned in my martial arts training was use of quick up close strikes and manipulation of their hands and arms to stop their attack.

Those are what I still practice when doing Tai Chi.

I am nowhere near as strong as I used to be and too fat to out run someone.

If you do carry its wise to look into insurance from

groups like USCCA If you have to shoot you have an attorney that knows the laws.

The last thing in the world you want is to have to pull the trigger on another person.

I agree if you do decide to carry please take a firearms training course, practice and get proficient in the use of that weapon.

Search in your area for training facilities and invest in your training.

To all...may 2022 bring you further on your journey and closer to your dreams.

To all who wait and experience the roller coaster of surgery dates scheduled only to be cancelled (especially to @Susan R), may you finally succeed!!  

And to all who have given me such wonderful support here, THANK YOU!

Best wishes for the new year,

Astrid

I am going to get some pepper spray. I haven't been in a fight since 9th grade. With my loss of muscle mass there's a good chance I'd be in big trouble. 

On another note, I ordered a 44aa bra from Her Room. It said cups run big. I normally wear 42a with a band extender. This one fits perfectly 🥰 

Happy new year to everyone ️ 

• Forum Moderator

Good evening and Happy New Year.

we had a full day today, I didn’t have time to say anything this morning but the coffee was especially good this morning.  My wife made it for us just before I pulled the plug and water line, and left the dock.  We took the boat out on to the ocean today. We put up the sails once we were out and sailed out to the blue water.  If you’ve never been out of a River fed bay to the ocean, there is an area where the water is brown the all of a sudden there is a line in the water, one side is brown and you cross to blue.  Here that line is a couple miles off shore.  We continued heading east and southeast past the buoy that marks a shipping lane. Probably 4 nautical miles off shore before coming about and finding our way back to the inlet.  Saw a pod of dolphins, a single dolphin checked us out, saw a bald eagle on a channel marker.  We can only get out of or into our marina at high tide. Morning was at 8 am. Which meant it was 8 pm getting back. No moon so I had to rely totally on my gps and prior tracks to keep from going aground. Yes, I am tired and it’s unlikely I’ll make it to midnight.

Regarding concealed carry, I agree way too many people are killed by their own gun.  Often because the hesitated or had it someplace where they couldn’t get to it timely.  But if you get it out you’d better use it without hesitation.  States decide concealed or open carry laws, but the feds decide who can purchase.  SC is working to allow holders of a concealed carry permits to be able to open carry too.  

I too have always been the brain with no brawn.  And getting weaker with age and hrt.

could I hit center mass?  Well I’d like to think so but look at all the police that don’t seem to be able when they are “excited”. It’s not the same as shooting paper, that’s  for sure.  

so I do everything possible to avoid situations that could be dangerous.

Happy New Year

hugs

Willow

Willow

• Forum Moderator
5 hours ago, Astrid said:

To all who wait and experience the roller coaster of surgery dates scheduled only to be cancelled (especially to @Susan R), may you finally succeed!!

Thank you @Astrid sweetie. You have been such a dear to me. I wish you and everyone on Transpulse a wonderful New Year in 2022!

• Forum Moderator

Hi, we are waking up to a new year, a new chance to meet our goals.  To live OUR lives.  Regardless of what that may be.  For me it represents getting into our new home, sooner rather than later I hope.  One goog thing about living on the boat, we will see the condo as big not small.

Coffee this morning is brought to me by cure egg.  Italian Dark Roast.  Breakfast is packaged cookies. Today will be the last sunny day, it’s beautiful right now, tomorrow brings rain and Monday will be cold continuing all week.  Well at least the calendar changed on a high.

Hope everyone stayed safe last night.

hugs

Willow

Hi @Willow and everyone. Happy New Year to all! You raise some good points about concealed carry. That's why I personally believe that without proper training, and regular practice, it's much better to carry pepper spray. In Arizona, we don't face face the same issues regarding concealed carry as opposed to open carry. In fact, open carry is allowed pretty much  everywhere unless the local city has passed an ordinance against it. That's right folks! You can strap that hogleg on your hip and parade up and down main street without a single worry. Just as if it was Tombstone in 1880. This mentality may explain why the last recorded gunfight in the USA took place in Arizona Territory in 1912... (Faint sounds of the theme from "High Noon" heard in the background.) I have my own opinion of this particularly scary mentality it that's not the point. 

Your other point about hitting center mass is equally valid--most people can't do it under stress. (Another argument for pepper spray.) I would add one thing that I forgot, has not been brought up by the others posting in this thread. If you do get a concealed carry permit and decide to carry, spent the extra $75-150 to get a purse with a special compartment for the weapon. You can get a holster designed for inside the belt carry, but I've found those to be impractical for use with women's clothing. And practice with it. Drawing a pistol from concealed carry is different than a belt rig, and it is typical slower and more dangerous to the shooter. Again, training is the key here, and practice, practice, practice.

Among the best resources about this topic is Massad Ayoob's website. He's been teaching firearms and concealed carry courses since 1974 and is hand's down the most knowledgeable person I've come across regarding concealed carry and self defense with a firearm.

Looking back at my trans life, the most pain I've ever gone through was electrolysis. 

I'm only talking as LindaMarie here. 

That needle going in right under the bridge of my nose.

Then POW!! I swear sparks flew out my ears and eye balls.

2 years, 90 minutes every other week. $5,000 later only a third of my face cleared.

I had to quit for some reason. Wish I hadn't. But wish in one hand....lol.

Here is a throw back picture of me and Andrea, my then electrolysis. In Atlanta

for a convention.

LM f 2011~12  Andrea (2004) My first trip to Atlanta, I had sooo much fun_.jpg

Happy New Years Day everyone and may it be a year of advancement in your journey.

The first cup is tasting so good.

Green Mountain brand Nantucket blend.

Never had the Nantucket blend so after trying it is kind of ho hum but will work in a pinch.

• Forum Moderator

It almost noon EST, so I'll still say Good Morning, Happy New Year 2022.

The coffee is Dark Roast Folgers Black Silk.

Yesterdays Bowl Games were a 50 50 split on my choices. Most were good games, except for Michigan, so I reluctantly say role tide.

It's day one of 365 in 2022 and I hope everyone has more good days than bad, stays positive, and safe.

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

2 hours ago, LindaMarie said:

Looking back at my trans life, the most pain I've ever gone through was electrolysis. 

I'm only talking as LindaMarie here. 

That needle going in right under the bridge of my nose.

Then POW!! I swear sparks flew out my ears and eye balls.

2 years, 90 minutes every other week. $5,000 later only a third of my face cleared.

I had to quit for some reason. Wish I hadn't. But wish in one hand....lol.

Here is a throw back picture of me and Andrea, my then electrolysis. In Atlanta

for a convention.

LM f 2011~12  Andrea (2004) My first trip to Atlanta, I had sooo much fun_.jpg

It's touching how a we become so close to our Electrologist/Torturer. Perhaps it is some form of Stockholm Syndrome? 

Good Morning,

The coffee is dark roast organic Guatemalan and the world outside is white with much needed snow here in the front range of Colorado. I know most of you have read of Thursday's devastating wildfire that destroyed and estimated 1000 homes. I know that region well since it hosts three of the most popular bicycle races in the state. This was a grass fire whose origin is now dubious since downed power lines have been ruled out. If you live in a drought stricken region please be careful if your livelihood or recreation creates sparks. I hope ya'll have a Happy New Year.

• Forum Moderator

@Marcie Jensen you talk about a special purse. Where would you get such a purse and how do you get it open quickly to get anything out, key chain with pepper spray or hand gun. By the way haven’t some states banned that or was that a more lethal spray? Or greater than a certain size?

willow

I've seen such purses online.  The first purse I bought myself (in a discount store) has a section that is fairly deep and closes with a magnetic snap.  I could easily slip a small pistol in there and it would be secure, but easy to access.  

NC is an open carry state, but you do need a permit for concealed carry.  If I felt the need, I would still carry concealed.  I'd rather be charged with a concealed weapon, than dead.

But I don't really feel the need at this time.  I stay away from places that I don't feel safe in.  And of course it's that much more weight.

Hi @Willow, here's some info for you about concealed carry purses. You can purchase these (concealed carry purses/handbags) at any number of online sources, or via your local gun shop. Online, Amazon carries them, however, places like www.gungoddes.com, https//hidinghilda.com and https//gunhandbags.com. are good resources. I've also found that https//thewellarmedwoman is a good source. Many purses come in both crossdraw and strong hand draw configurations. Personally, I like crossdraw from my bag because it's a bit faster and cleaner for me, but that's just my preference. My advice would be to talk to a knowledgeable person (preferably at a gun shop or shooting range who knows what they're talking about, and can let you try the bags out to determine which suits you better. Keep in mind that they all share some common traits--they are shoulder bags for the most part, they all have an internal pocket for the handgun, and have a separate pockt(s) for the rest of your stuff. The two pockets are an essential because they keep you from snagging the pistol during the draw, which could be disastrous for you or a bystander due to the potential for accidental discharge.

Given that bit of information, I've gotta say that I prefer a striker fired pistol--such as a Glock--or a revolver with a newconcealed hammer--such as a Ruger LCL or Smith and Wesson M637 or Bodyguard--as they have less to snag. Currently, I carry a Taurus P111G3. I like this because it has a 12 round magazine, a positive trigger safety like a Glock does, as well as an external thumb safety on the left side of the gun. It' also fairly inexpensive at about $220 new out of the box. It's chambered in 9mm parabellum, which makes it easy to control and isn't finicky about the ammunition. I typically load mine with 125 grain hollow points because of stopping power and ease of handling. Nut, again that's a personal choice, and everyone is different. The main takeaway here is to make sure the bag you purchase has a holster that works for your pistol; it's not one size fits all.

Now having given you way too much information, I sincerely hope this helps.

Hugs,

Marcie