• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Good morning All. Coffees on.

KymmieL

• Replies 23.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willow

• KymmieL

• Mmindy

• Ivy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Willow, thank you for teaching me something! The Rockies are famous, and I have heard of the Appalachians too, but had no idea that as a result the land in between is a perfect nursery for twisters. I have also heard of what is known as Tornado Alley but just assumed that it was a fairly narrow north/south band of land not involving multiple states across. I know better now!

Bushfires and floods are our go-to natural disasters here. Some of our fires are as savage as what California regularly experiences nowadays. I also live in a fairly active earthquake state, but they are generally small, often not felt, and nothing more than a curiosity. But we did have a magnitude 5.9 in 2021 up in the mountains which caused some damage in Melbourne 200km away. We seem to experience something between a 5.0 and 5.5 every few years but the epicenters are normally away from populated areas. Still big enough to give me the heebie-jeebies!

One thing I learnt after a 5.4 we had in 2012, which was closer and felt stronger here than the 5.9, is that the Richter scale is logarithmic - a magnitude 5 is ten times stronger than a 4 and a 6 is ten times stronger than 5 and 100 times stronger than a 4. Scary! 

• Forum Moderator

Good afternoon everyone, 

I hope you’re having a wonderful day. @Birdie I love the good morning picture. I have an open door policy for coffee. 

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

IMG_0911.jpeg

• Forum Moderator

lol Now logarithmic is a word I haven’t heard since I was in High School in the mid 60s. @Mirrabooka.  We used to use logarithms to be able to do higher level math.  Of course this was before calculators,  we also used slide rules.  The first personal calculators that were capable of more than more than simple math cost hundreds of dollars.  And only came out in the mid 70s.   Today you carry a very capable computer in your pocket or even on your wrist.  

Bit of a mini-vacation for us starting tomorrow. Going to Melbourne and seeing the Odd Couple play and staying over, then flying to Adelaide on Friday and going to the soccer that night, a friendly game between the Australian women's side and China. Back home on Saturday. It's how we roll. 😎

Day off today,my boss has to go to a funeral.A great aunt of his he was close with passed.Going to go to the high school I went and graduated at 27 years ago seeing a teacher I had whom I never seen after I graduated.She is retiring and we got in touch online.Said I will come up and  did tell her I changed big time.Took it well

11 hours ago, Willow said:

lol Now logarithmic is a word I haven’t heard since I was in High School in the mid 60s. @Mirrabooka.  We used to use logarithms to be able to do higher level math.  Of course this was before calculators,  we also used slide rules.  The first personal calculators that were capable of more than more than simple math cost hundreds of dollars.  And only came out in the mid 70s.   Today you carry a very capable computer in your pocket or even on your wrist.  

Slide rules ruled. Wow, that takes me back to the 70s. We actually had to solve problems with longhand in some situations. No calculators where I was. They were just beginning to emerge. My dad had a simple calculator that could add, subtract, multiply, and divide. That was state of the art for the time. Reading was actually required to get through school. There were no PCs, no YouTube, no Google. VHF antennas ruled. Few folks had cable. I would take that all over again. 

• Forum Moderator

Good morning everyone, 

@Willow & @Mirrabooka I remember my best friend in high school struggling with the transition between the slide rule and the new calculator. He would work out the problem on both to make sure he could trust the calculator. 

I spent the day yesterday getting the camper ready for the Summer season of camping and trying to figure out where Parker’s crate would fit best. 

Today is unseasonably cool and rainy so the doors and windows are open. The morning songbirds are singing, and the neighborhood is quiet. 

The Coffee is warm enough to have visible steam rising from it. 

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

IMG_0918.jpeg

We used slide rules and logs in high school.  When my younger brother went to college he had to buy one of those calculators, it wasn't cheap.

These days I don't mind using the calculator on my phone at all.  It's a lot simpler than the complicated way my brain processes numbers.

Another night of lost sleep, the coffee is required. This time my anxiety wasn't about my gender it was about failing to get a job and the craziness we've barely even started working toward moving across the country. My wife must sense my unease, because she tends to wake me up after I've finally gotten back to sleep. :D

• Forum Moderator

Hugs @MaeBeIt's normal to loose sleep after losing a job. Then you compound that with your anticipated move across the country and transitioning. I'm surprised you're getting any sleep. I'm also sure your wife does since any anxiety you're experiencing. I don't know if you're using online counseling or not, but it might be a good idea to keep in touch with your therapist via video until you locate a local therapist in your new community once you've moved. 

It's okay to feel lost or detached while you're in the moving/job hunting process.

I'm excited for you and your new opportunities.

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

• Forum Moderator
4 minutes ago, Ivy said:

We used slide rules and logs in high school.  When my younger brother went to college he had to buy one of those calculators, it wasn't cheap.

We were not allowed to use calculators in high school.  Even if we could afford one, $80 (in 1970 dollars!) would only get you a four-function calculator, so it would have been pointless anyway.  Everything was slide rules and longhand.  Being a math nerd, that was no hardship for me.

When my brothers and I were cleaning out my father's house after he passed, I found a couple of slide rules in his wife's desk.  I appropriated them and still have them, my own having been foolishly tossed years ago.

Slide rule Classically Trained.jpg

• Forum Moderator

You know the advantages we had using long division and multiplication, slide rules and log table?  We can look at a result and know right away if something is wrong with it. Kids that have grown up using calculators can hit keystrokes on their calculator but they have no clue that the answer is wrong when there is a factor of ten that they messed up.  Also we learned our basic math tables inside out and upside down. They use this new math that mixes everything up.

Just now, Willow said:

They use this new math that mixes everything up.

I don't need that "new math."  My brain does it on its own.

Met up with a teacher I had back in high school and went good.Was 27 years ago I last saw her after I graduated.Walked into her classroom and we hugged calling me Adrianna.Remembered seeing me as male seeing I was holding something in.Told her I am much happier now and said she noticed it now.Even said seen me as an 18 year old and now as a 45 year old transwoman.Did get to walk down the halls bringing back lots of memories too.Ran into another teacher I had too.She said I changed big time.Told her I go as Adrianna now,transgender on the hormones.Also said she noticed I was unhappy at times and I am much happier now.I did take a picture with both of these two

I'm finally home after a really long day.  I haven't been online much because I've been with my husband, helping the victims of the tornado in the neighboring county.

A lot of progress has been made in 4 days.  Some electricity has been restored, and wreckage has been cleared away from the roads.  We got the kitchen and lodging areas set up for the folks who lost their homes, so hopefully local folks can take over now.  Its amazing how much food has been donated so far, and clothes being collected.  My husband's company donated electrical equipment, and the time of work crews to install it.  They're going to be really busy in the coming weeks, with work locally, producing parts, and fulfilling orders from other areas.  So many places have been severely damaged in recent weeks. 

For the moment, my part in the work is completed.  Now comes the next struggle - taking care of my husband.  He was finally able to come home tonight, since the situation is stable and their local people are gradually taking over.  But he stayed awake from Sunday morning until this evening, working constantly with only brief naps.  :blink:  I'm already getting the medicines prepared, because I know he'll have a cold or the flu by this weekend. 

3 hours ago, Willow said:

You know the advantages we had using long division and multiplication, slide rules and log table?  We can look at a result and know right away if something is wrong with it. Kids that have grown up using calculators can hit keystrokes on their calculator but they have no clue that the answer is wrong when there is a factor of ten that they messed up.  Also we learned our basic math tables inside out and upside down. They use this new math that mixes everything up.

Very true.  I think they have been teaching math in a different way for the last 30 years.  Kids aren't proficient in it...I know I'm not.  My husband believes in knowing how to do calculations on paper, just in case.  Its interesting to watch him scratch a few figures on the back of a receipt, just to check.  I never fully learned long division in school, and anything algebra was way beyond me.  Easy enough to get a passing grade without really knowing the material.  I've slowly learned some of what I should have known years ago...

• Forum Moderator

Good morning everyone, 

Parker has been walked, fed and watered. He’s now checking to make sure the backyard doesn’t have any squirrels in it. The largest squirrel is on an overhanging branch chirping at him. The other sounds of the neighborhood include a far off in the distance interstate highway, that is drowned out by bird songs claiming the feeders are full. We still don’t have any cicadas in our area yet. The coffee pot is finishing up so I’ll be scrolling through the threads with thumb swipes, and not replying until I drink the first cup. Today is the pick of the week according to the local weather person. So I’ll be mowing the lawn once the morning dew has lifted. 

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

IMG_0919.jpeg

Amazed how my relationship is going with my boyfriend,great.Says It has been a life changer for him since he met me,he likes transwomen only now

@Adrianna Danielle, I’m happy things are going well for you and your boyfriend!

A late second coffee may be in order, but over my first I had a call with my boss. I guess he wants to keep me limping along for a couple more weeks so maybe I can find a job—and not have to tell people he’s laying me (and others) off. I guess my responsibilities will be solely as lead generation. Alone that is a thankless and exhausting job, but add that to a move and trying to find new employment…

I guess it’s one more paycheck; I can’t resign without giving up unemployment benefits (I assume), so it’s dialing for dollars for the next couple weeks between getting shot down by AI application filters and trying to sell my house! 🤪

43 minutes ago, MaeBe said:

@Adrianna Danielle, I’m happy things are going well for you and your boyfriend!

A late second coffee may be in order, but over my first I had a call with my boss. I guess he wants to keep me limping along for a couple more weeks so maybe I can find a job—and not have to tell people he’s laying me (and others) off. I guess my responsibilities will be solely as lead generation. Alone that is a thankless and exhausting job, but add that to a move and trying to find new employment…

I guess it’s one more paycheck; I can’t resign without giving up unemployment benefits (I assume), so it’s dialing for dollars for the next couple weeks between getting shot down by AI application filters and trying to sell my house! 🤪

He has learned well also and sees me as a woman

Just now, Adrianna Danielle said:

He has learned well also and sees me as a woman

💜

Hello all    I have not been on here very much just feeling distance. been going through of emotions well today is the last day I am in my house I built for nancy and I.  been up since midnight started packing at 2.30 just stopped to take a break.  Its hitting hard this morning its a bitter sweet moment.  any one ever feel like you dont belong any where?  well thats the way I feel right now.  Hope everyone is doing ok take care and be safe and  have a good day

• Forum Moderator

What a day

headache, earache hot and today is starting out the same.  Good news from my doc, my cholesterol is below the concerning point and my risk factors based on the ratio of hdl to ldl indicates my risk factor is only 5%   

I put up the first of three outdoor shades for our porch yesterday.  I started with the smallest so I could figure them out.  The largest panel is next.  Middle is last because it is different.

@rachel w I believe we all belong somewhere and it takes going through some difficult times to find that place.  I am pretty sure I have found my place after a long and difficult journey.  Job changes promises made and promises broken. Sometimes our hope for a life that is happy is dashed.  Olley North said it best, “S—- happens”. You do your best.i know my wife is not where she wants to be.  Neither of us expected my change when we said I do.  But at our age and economic situation we are doing the best we can.  I believe that place is there for everyone just not always where you’d expect to find it.  Hang on. We are here for you.

hugs

Willow

image.thumb.png.0eb2f6d16b24884bf84181f377e2d464.png

• Forum Moderator
Just now, rachel w said:

Hope everyone is doing ok take care and be safe and  have a good day

@rachel w

I’m so sorry you’re realizing the end of your relationship and home that you built. Feeling alone is a horrible feeling, and I hope you can forgive yourself, as you move on. Your life is important to so many more people than you know. Feeling lonely and at the bottom is also a new beginning. Your journey continues with this new chapter of life. 

Hugs, and know you can always vent here, or in private messages. While you may be physically alone, spiritually we’re all here for you.

Hugs,

Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋