• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First laser hair removal today and.......

Ashlee

.......and it hurt like h@ll. It was quite uncomfortable, not what I was expecting at all. The outside may have hurt but inside I'm so excited. Im not sure if I paid too much or not but it will be paid im full before I'm even done. There was no interest so thats a plus I suppose.  I get 5 more treatments for a total of 6 (every 8 weeks) the first 12 months, I get 2 sessions per year for 2 years after and then 1 touch up session per year for life as needed. I guess thats good. It was more that I expected to Pay but worth it. All this company does is laser hair, tattoo removal and resurfacing that I'm also purchasing a package for. In a couple weeks I go in for labs and hopefully all is good there. Yaaaay, things are finally moving along. 

That's great! I have my first electrolysis appointment next Thursday. I know it will hurt some but the lady said she can numb my face some so it should not be as painful. I can't wait to have a hair free face and I bet you feel via same ashlee. Hugs Susan

Did you do laser or electrolysis? I am doing the later of the two because I don't want any hair to grow back or I will feel like I am wasting my money. Hugs Susan

Im doing laser but I have a lifetime warranty, so to speak. I can go back every year and get a touch up free. 

Well that's a good thing! For myself. I want it to be done for good and not have to go back. The lady said mine should not take more than a year because I don't have a lot of facial hair and it is not thick except for my chin. So I am kinda lucky I guess. Susan

• Forum Moderator

I've never done laser but have three+ years of electrolysis experience (160hrs).  Don't kid yourself it is painful.  My tolerance is very high now and I do two two hour sessions.  My technician marvels that I just lay there quietly without motion.  I tell her I don't want to slow her down!  I used lidocaine at first but gave up on it.   The hair needs to be in the growing phase to effectively kill.  As the hair regrows it will get lighter until its gone.  Its a multi step process.  Hang in there and remember the end is in sight with each session.  

Chees, Jani

• 1 month later...

Well, it been almost five weeks and wow! Its crazy how well one treatment worked. Holy cow I expected it to take longer but I don't have a shadow any more. I have 5 more sessions in the next 10 months and 2 sessions the following year the once a year as needed. :)

18 hours ago, Ashlee said:

Well, it been almost five weeks and wow! Its crazy how well one treatment worked. Holy cow I expected it to take longer but I don't have a shadow any more. I have 5 more sessions in the next 10 months and 2 sessions the following year the once a year as needed. :)

Not to discourage you, but it does take a while because hair grows in several completely separate phases (I think there are typically hairs in three different stages at a time). So don't be disappointed when it comes back. After my first session it was just the same as what you describe and it continued like that until the third session if I remember correctly. Between the 4th and 5th session all of sudden a lot of hair came back. Last week I had the 7th session for a few patches that were left after the 6th one - it looks surprisingly similar now to the result after one or two sessions. So it's a bit of a rollercoaster in my experience. But that said it's great that all these top-ups are included. Sounds like you've found a good provider.

• Forum Moderator

You are correct about the three phases.   

Growth cycle

Hair grows at different speeds and different lengths. Its composition causes different colors and textures, which influence how long the hair strands grow.

The three stages of hair growth are the anagen, catagen, and telogen phases. Each strand of hair on the human body is at its own stage of development. Once the cycle is complete, it restarts and a new strand of hair begins to form. The rate or speed of hair growth is about 1.25 centimeters or 0.5 inches per month, or about 15 centimeters or 6 inches per year.

Anagen phase

The anagen phase is known as the growth phase. It begins in the papilla and can last from two to six years. The span at which the hair remains in this stage of growth is determined by genetics. The longer the hair stays in the anagen phase, the longer it will grow. During this phase, the cells in the papilla divide to produce new hair fibers, and the follicle buries itself into the dermal layer of the skin to nourish the strand. About 85% of the hairs on one's head are in the anagen phase at any given time

Catagen phase

Signals sent out by the body (that only selectively affect 1 percent of all hair of one's body at any given time) determine when the anagen phase ends and the catagen phase begins. The first sign of catagen is the cessation of melanin production in the hair bulb and apoptosis of follicular melanocytes. The catagen phase, also known as the transitional phase, allows the follicle to, in a sense, renew itself. During this time, which lasts about two weeks, the hair follicle shrinks due to disintegration and the papilla detaches and "rests," cutting the hair strand off from its nourishing blood supply. Ultimately, the follicle is 1/6 its original length, causing the hair shaft to be pushed upward. While hair is not growing during this phase, the length of the terminal fibers increase when the follicle pushes them upward.

Telogen phase

During the telogen or resting phase the follicle remains dormant for one to four months. Ten to fifteen percent of the hairs on one's head are in this phase of growth at any given time. In this phase the epidermal cells lining the follicle channel continue to grow as normal and may accumulate around the base of the hair, temporarily anchoring it in place and preserving the hair for its natural purpose without taxing the body's resources needed during the growth phase.

At some point, the follicle will begin to grow again, softening the anchor point of the shaft initially. The hair base will break free from the root and the hair will be shed. Within two weeks the new hair shaft will begin to emerge once the telogen phase is complete. The process results in normal hair loss known as shedding.

Im really excited about the laser treatment. My first treatment was about 5 weeks ago I think and my 5:00 shadow is gine. Been gone for a few weeks. I have 5 more treatments in the next 10 months, 2 treatments the following year and 1 touch up treatment a year for life. I have a few white hairs I have to get electrolysis for but I and very pleased so far. Here is a picture a couple evenings ago after all day at work. 20181110_211838.thumb.jpg.413b0476e0144d766c694ba22b5bada9.jpg

12 hours ago, Jani said:

Very good!!!

Thank you. Im so excited :) I m grateful things are moving along. I gendered correctly more and more. Its become really hard to conceal my transition. Ive pretty much given up hiding it. Rumors are flying. Oh well. 

• Forum Moderator
21 hours ago, Ashlee said:

Rumors are flying. Oh well. 

Oh well, in deed!   Your choice is to talk about it or let the news get out on its own.   There are downsides to each position although I do favor getting ahead of the news.

All my best! 
Jani

I think most of the women I work with and in my life know. They say things that hint twards them knowing, plus we all trade moisturizers and makeup from our monthly subscription things. The guys I know but haven't seen in a while are pretty much mean and have stopped talking to me all together. The guys I see daily don't really say anything to my face but thats where tge rumors are from im sure. I guess Is not a rumor If its true. Idk. I've told a few people, all girls, and they said yeah, they knew already. I do know that as time goes by I care less and less what people think about me. I just don't want to get killed by some transphobic person. Thats my biggest fear I think 

13 minutes ago, Ashlee said:

I think most of the women I work with and in my life know. They say things that hint twards them knowing, plus we all trade moisturizers and makeup from our monthly subscription things. The guys I know but haven't seen in a while are pretty much mean and have stopped talking to me all together. The guys I see daily don't really say anything to my face but thats where tge rumors are from im sure. I guess Is not a rumor If its true. Idk. I've told a few people, all girls, and they said yeah, they knew already. I do know that as time goes by I care less and less what people think about me. I just don't want to get killed by some transphobic person. Thats my biggest fear I think 

Once you’re done transitioning, have your SRS if you want it and all your paperwork completed you can always move and no would be the wiser.

• Forum Moderator
On 11/13/2018 at 11:07 PM, Ashlee said:

Here is a picture a couple evenings ago after all day at work. 

Ashlee, You pass visually very well.  I doubt anyone at work is wondering at this point.  It's nice you work in a field that you're able to transition.  This would be one of my my greatest fears but you seem to have made a complete adjustment.  Good for you!

Susan R?

2 hours ago, RithiaAllen said:

Once you’re done transitioning, have your SRS if you want it and all your paperwork completed you can always move and no would be the wiser.

:) that is actually my plan. Its in the works. Moving back to the city life asap. I live in a very rural close-minded town now. Its kinda a tough crowd lol

2 hours ago, Susan R said:

Ashlee, You pass visually very well.  I doubt anyone at work is wondering at this point.  It's nice you work in a field that you're able to transition.  This would be one of my my greatest fears but you seem to have made a complete adjustment.  Good for you!

Susan R?

Thank you. I am thankful for at least being in the position I am in. It does make it a little less stressful than transition already is. Funny thing, my sister in law just asked me today if I was trangender. I told her the truth and she laughed and said she always new and my  brother knows too. When she left she said "whatever, love ya sis" I almost started crying lol. I guess I'm not hiding it as well as I thought. To me I look very manly but working on the dysphoria

• Forum Moderator
Just now, Ashlee said:

Funny thing, my sister in law just asked me today if I was trangender. I told her the truth

Ashlee,  I'm curious how this will change your relationship with your sister, if at all.  Will she treat you differently?  Family dynamics are so interesting to me.  You'll have to keep us updated (if you feel like it, of course).

I came out to my brother-in-law last week.  He was surprised yet very supportive.  We talked about it for 45 mins and I felt it went very well.  We have always talked every month or so but I'm hoping it doesn't cause him to shy away from future conversation. I guess time will tell.

Susan R?

3 hours ago, Susan R said:

Ashlee,  I'm curious how this will change your relationship with your sister, if at all.

Susan R?

Well, Im pretty sure nothing will change. She new when I was in my "goth" phase. She just laughed and told me not to steal her clothes lol. 

17 hours ago, Susan R said:

Ashlee,  I'm curious how this will change your relationship with your sister, if at all.

Susan R?

I should proof read. "knew"