• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Considering laser removal

jo_g

So I'm considering laser hair removal for my chest/abdomen/back (and probably a treatment or two on my upper arms) but I was wondering if doing this can adversely affect HRT. I'm still a few months away from HRT (I assume) but want to start on hair removal ASAP. However, I wouldn't want to do laser removal if it would cause the HRT to be less effective somehow. I'm probably just over-thinking it, especially given my google-fu has returned no reason to make me think it will have adverse effects. Just thought I'd check first.

I've also, after reading the forums, been thinking about laser for the beard before electrolysis, but I'll probably go and see someone trained in electrolysis before I make that decision; should be seeing someone in January...

Thanks!

• Forum Moderator

Removal of hair will not affect hormone efficacy.  Having laser on your beard hair would just leave the white or light colored hairs that would need electrolysis.  That would also go a long way towards getting rid of beard shadow soon.  

Best of luck!!
Jani

• Forum Moderator

Do understand that laser is not considered permanent hair removal, but reduction.  So some dark hairs may come back at a later date.  But I think you will be ahead of the game to get it done first.   Be prepared, hair removal is not for the faint of heart!  

Jani

I started lazer hair removal before hrt. It got about 80 % of the dark hair. All the gray hair stayed. For me it was not so bad, the upper lip was the worst. I had full body hair removal. 

The salon I went to had a cool tip lazer. This helped to keep from burning the skin as bad. 

Happy hair removal. 

Thanks very much. :) Today I paid for a series of sessions to remove the chest, tummy and back, then asked if they would do my upper arms as well (expecting to have to pay more) but the consultant said as I don't have much hair on my body/back that I can have the arms done as well. Depending how well it goes, and what the electrolysis consultant suggests, I might well get some for the facial hair as well. I hadn't thought about laser as a head start for the beard area before joining here, but it makes sense that it would be a way to (maybe) reduce the overall time needed for electrolysis.

The pain thing is something I'm going to have to look into. Looking forward to booking my first appointment. Not looking forward to asking my wife to shave the parts of my body I can't reach... 

P.S. If that's TMI, please accept my apologies and let me know, so I'll better understand where the line is. Though, I'm guessing removal of back hair for laser/electrolysis treatment it's something a lot of us have been through/will have to do? :)

I’m happy for you! I can’t wait to start laser/electrolysis myself. Last time I called a clinic about it was in 2003 and I was not able to follow through with my first assessment. Now I’m probably going to be stuck with more electrolysis than laser, but it’s a must. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 8:15 PM, Josie Beth said:

Now I’m probably going to be stuck with more electrolysis than laser, but it’s a must. 

Yeah. I think for proper permanent removal, electrolysis is the only way.

Last week I had the first laser on the body. It was quite painful along the chest and a couple of areas on the arms, but mostly was fine and I'd say the most disconcerting times were the occasional smell of burning that would happen. Oh, and having no idea what to say to the technician who was probably grossed out by having to do that on my ugly body. 

I also had an electrolysis consultation last week and any thoughts of pain from the laser were blown out of the water. Hehe. It's going to be slow and painful, but 100% worth it.

Tomorrow I have my first laser on my facial hair. I imagine it to be more similar to the chest area from last week's removal in terms of pain (more uncomfortable that AHHH PLEASE STOP) but if it speeds up the amount of time I need for electrolysis, I'll be happy to do it. 

On a side note, one of my friends at work who I've not yet told keeps asking me why I have shaved (before I started on the path, I'd shave it all off maybe once a year) and now he's seen me with the closest shave twice in the space of a week. I was struggling to give a response (saying "you have to shave 24 hours before laser hair removal" would have raised more questions than answers) but a friend who I have told jumped in like a knight in shining armour to say "It's the way it is - get used to it." ❤️ It's nice to know when people have got your back. :) 

Current shower thought: it's funny how things like lasers, electrified needles and blood tests can get a girl so happy and excited, but here I am. Bring it on! :D 

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, jo_g said:

I was struggling to give a response

Remember you don't need to.  You can say you are free to do what you want and this is what you want, now.

Jani

On 12/23/2018 at 6:58 PM, Jani said:

Do understand that laser is not considered permanent hair removal, but reduction.  So some dark hairs may come back at a later date.  But I think you will be ahead of the game to get it done first.   Be prepared, hair removal is not for the faint of heart!  

Jani

You are not fully correct!  It can be permanent depending on he type, the color of the laser and the light intensity.  I have my dark hair removed permanently.  It hurts a little more and is more expensive, but it can be done.  Not every location might have the right equipment or trained operators. 

• Admin

I don't recall the exact type of laser or its intensity, but I was very happy with the results.  Except for fine white hairs, I am and have been completely free of beard hair.  I can go well over 24 hours before shaving those fine hairs.  The only one who notices their presence is me.

Carolyn Marie

Be prepared, hair removal is not for the faint of heart!  

Yes. It hurts like......I go next week for my 3rd treatment so far. It is very uncomfortable (to say the least) but so very worth it 

Ashlee ❤️

10 hours ago, Jani said:

Remember you don't need to.  You can say you are free to do what you want and this is what you want, now.

So true! ❤️

Well, I survived session one. :D As expected, it was quite painful when compared to the body hair removal, but the lip was not as bad as expected. I think maybe there weren't that many dark hairs on the lip and that'll be something to look forward to for the electrolysis attacks the lighter hairs. 

Anyway. Super happy to be on the way. :D 

Hi again everyone. Just had another question pop into my head. (sorry)

Following laser removal, they say wait 10-15 days before shaving to aid the shedding process. Not such an issue for the torso/back areas (and tomorrow is day 10 - can't wait to get rid of the chest hair) but not ideal at all for the face. How long have you girls waited before shaving following laser treatment on the beard area and does anyone know if it will affect the overall shedding process or lead to needing more laser treatments overall? Sadly, I'm not transitioned yet, so 10 days of beard growth won't raise awkward questions when out and about, but from a dysphoria point of view, it doesn't help. Don't even get me started on how horrid I look when attempting makeup with facial hair. :( 

im lucky most of my body hair fell off with blockers and hormones but still have to close have facial hair but less often i think using good moisturisers help aswell

1 hour ago, jo_g said:

Hi again everyone. Just had another question pop into my head. (sorry)

Following laser removal, they say wait 10-15 days before shaving to aid the shedding process. Not such an issue for the torso/back areas (and tomorrow is day 10 - can't wait to get rid of the chest hair) but not ideal at all for the face. How long have you girls waited before shaving following laser treatment on the beard area and does anyone know if it will affect the overall shedding process or lead to needing more laser treatments overall? Sadly, I'm not transitioned yet, so 10 days of beard growth won't raise awkward questions when out and about, but from a dysphoria point of view, it doesn't help. Don't even get me started on how horrid I look when attempting makeup with facial hair. :( 

I started with electrolysis right out of the gate on my face, so I'm not completely familiar with the aftercare on laser, but the principles should remain the same:

The same hairs will try and re-grow an unspecified number of times before damage to the follicle becomes too severe from repeated treatments.

Shaving the hair back stimulates activity in the hair follicle, but I assume the logic of waiting 10-15 days after laser, is related to the 3 different growth stages of a hair. Your laser technician is definitely the best person to ask about this, though.

Electrolysis is cheaper per session, but you'd end up having MORE sessions of it due to laser's ability to treat patches rather than needing to do 1 follicle at a time. Laser's permanence depends on the individual: my friend is having laser done and he's getting good, lasting results. Laser isn't great for my face personally, as apparently my mutant super power is the ability to easily re-grow thick, coarse facial hairs ??

Ah, ta very much ladies.

1 hour ago, Naomi Knowles said:

apparently my mutant super power is the ability to easily re-grow thick, coarse facial hairs ??

Of all the super powers to have... :( 

Naomi, I feel your pain. No matter how many different directions I shave in, I have a permanent very dark shadow. Within a couple of hours, you can use my face like coarse sand paper.  I’m torn between starting laser or electrolysis. Most of my hair is still really dark, with just a few patches of gray. 

As for body hair, shaving or even using depilatories leaves me with insane ingrown hairs. I’ve actually started plucking chest hair to help with the GD, but it takes for ever. I might try waxing. 

I wish you all luck in the quest for smooth hair free skin. 

*hugs*

Hi Jo-g, I will add everyones experience with laser and electrolysis is a bit different. I went through laser without lidocaine,. But for electrolysis I needed it since it took for ever. I did not worry about my body hair, as with HRT it turnedo ut less than most cis girls.

In regards to the not shaving, I was not told that in regards to laser for myself. But I can see they might have a reason for it. From not irritating the skin, to seeing how effective the treatment is. Your technician may also be worried about scarring. But in the end asking them about will tell you more, as they might also be trying to gauge the effectiveness of things.

I was not advised to wait on shaving after laser. The main thing was simply waiting until any reaction (swelling, redness, etc.) had gone down so as not to make it worse. For me, that meant laser in the afternoon and shaving the next morning were fine. Your mileage may vary, of course!

• 3 months later...

I caution using laser.  Even though I was an "ideal" candidate, dark hair and light skin, hair regrew within 6 months.  I tried four different clinics with different lasers.  All had about the same result.

That's a shame. :( 

A few months in for me, facial laser seems to have done nothing. Electrolysis has done the only significant hair removal, but at 30 minutes per session and only 2 per month (because have to wait a couple of weeks after laser before electrolysis), it's going to be a very long haul. That being said, it seems to have been far more successful on my arms and chest/back. However, I've only got one more session with them and they're trying to get me to book more sessions. I think I'll wait and see if HRT does anything to slow it down and just use summer break as an excuse. That way, I can keep the electrolysis going and if I do need more laser later in the year, I know the clinic will still be there... :)