• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Depilatory Cream Recommendations

ToniTone

I'm about to go shopping. I'm feeling really anxious about my arm hair today, and I'm ready to try a depilatory cream. 

I'm hopeful it will help with the bulk of my hair on my arms and abdomen. My body hair isn't too coarse at all. Coarse enough to bother me, but still soft and light in texture. 

I know it's recommended not to use on the face so I won't. For that I'll keep plucking (when I shave my 5 o'clock shadow/thick stubble grows back before noon). 

But I'm curious, has anyone used creams on their neck beard hair? My skin is thin but not overly sensitive. But trying to keep up plucking is so stressful. 

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for brands or varieties? 

Oh, and do they leave a stubble? Or is regrowth soft like plucking? 

• Admin

I don't really have brand recommendations since it was a decade + ago that I could have used it. None that I tried worked better than the others.  Do carefully read the instructions and do the allergy tests they recommend on a small spot first.  Do have a hand and body lotion on the ready for when you clean them off your skin. to moisturize your skin immediately.

How high on the neck is safe?    Feel at the bottom of your throat for the top of your rib cage.  Do not use depilatives above that bone ridge.  That is the bottom of beard hair, and the chemicals working on the beard hairs can end up with chemical burns that are nasty. 

Another sad story is plucking beard hairs is only a temporary (90 day) thing since you do not KILL the root of the hair and the pore that you empty may get stuff in it that causes infections.  Be careful is all I can say.

Thank you Vicky, I'll be careful! 

I've been plucking for years. Sometimes I get an ingrown hair, I try to keep my hands, tweezers and skin clean when I do it. The anxiety of having the androgenic hairs is so much though. 

The ingrown hairs have reduced since I started hrt. Also there's like no gooie sebum on the plucked hairs anymore. 

I just want smooth, glabrous skin, oi.. 

Well, I just got a bottle of Nair Hair Removee Lotion. I have plenty of moisturizer lotions and cocoa butter already for aftercare. Wish me luck!

I don’t have any recommendations, but for ingrown hairs and helping any trouble areas, aftercare, to use Aloe Vera. I get the 1000% Aloe Vera at Walmart , cheap. 

Thanks Ellora. Aloe is a pretty amazing plant, I've used gels for burns and irritations in the past to miraculous effect. I'll keep this in consideration. 

-----------------------

So here's a synopsis of my first experience with Nair Hair Remover Lotion, and depilatory cream: 

So I got home, excited to try depilatory cream for the first time. Hopped in the shower and proceeded to read the directions. It turns out you're supposed to apply the stuff dry. Which makes sense in hindsight, as water would neutralize the pH of the thioglycolic acid, in effect diluting it. So I dried off and proceeded to put the lotion on. I probably should've delayed this as skin and hair does retain some moisture immediately after getting wet, and the shower was pretty steamy. But like I said, I was excited. 

I applied to my arms (minus armpits, I'ma be french about that whole mess for now), top of hands, bottom half and sides of neck, chest (avoiding the nipples) and abdomen. Waited probably shy of ten minutes, then proceeded to wipe off the hair with a rag before rinsing off. 

I was pleasantly surprised, my arms and hands are baby smooth! This alone makes me appreciate this product (a $10 investment that'll probably last a few weeks).

I probably won't use it for my lower neck. It was ineffective, and I worry my now almost shoulder length hair could suffer collateral damage. 

It did virtually nothing for my abdomen. It did soften and remove some of the hair on the periphera of hairy areas, and they seem a little easier to pluck. But I applied it to these areas last, the thickest hair I tried it on. And by this time the steam might have condensated on my skin, diluting the application. 

And it didn't irritate my skin. I'm not allergic to anything I know of yet. I really thought burning away hair with a 12pH product would hurt more! 

I think tomorrow I'm going to follow the directions proper and try my abdomen and chest again. I'm going to give it a headstart before I get in the shower and make sure I make ten minutes elapsed time of application. 

I'm going to try it on my legs too. I could see this product being totally effective and satisfactory on my arms and legs. I'll follow up with this review once I do. 

All in all, satisfied with this product so far (at least on my arms). 

~Toni

Hey toni don't know your financial status, but I recommended electrolysis its a permanent solution..  Also Facial fem surgery .  Good luck

Thank you Alex. I've studied all the different hair removal options out there. My financial situation is abysmal. Sometimes I feel like transition is a luxury I can't afford, sigh... But I have conviction about it. I get hrt from health insurance, and everything else I improvised as they came up. I think I can do this. 

I think insurance will cover permanent hair removal. I have a consult next month, but I know it's slow going. I'll probably have them focus on around my lip area and my middle moustache first. 

~Toni

If you use on your chest, take it from me, stay away from the sensitive bits. Chemical burns on your nipples is not fun. There are also formulas that are less intense for bikini area. 

Again, test spots first and then follow the directions to a tee. Don’t hesitate to rinse sooner if you feel any discomfort, as by that time you’re already getting a burn. 

I do have to say IMO, I prefer depilatory over shaving, the hair is not sharp when growing back and I get less ingrown hairs. 

Good luck. 

Sara

*hugs*

• Forum Moderator

I have tried everything short of electrolysis and laser.  I have found that Nair works best on legs and arms.  Recently I have started using an epilator.  Pro's and Con's in my opinion: Skin does feel softer after using depilatory cream.  Bit doesn't work on all locations and can't be used on sensitive skin. The epilator works well for legs, but as you move north from there it becomes rather painful to use until you get used to it.  I find going slower hurts less and I'm told that with repeated use the pain goes away.  The epilator can be used on sensitive areas, its a matter of what you can handle.  Since you are already tweezing, it may not be a big deal for you as it is nothing more than a multiple tweezers on a rotating head.  The action of tweezing is very similar to waxing for removing hair.  The waxing can also be uncomfortable and requires you to wait until the hair reaches a certain length before you can wax again.  Waxing can last from a few days to several weeks depending upon your hair growth.

Home wax kits can be purchased on line or shops selling cosmetics.  I found the "sugar" or sticky wax worked better for me over the hard wax.

Thank you, Sara and Willow! 

Yeah, I carefully 'painted' the stuff on around the nipples, avoiding them. And I agree, the couple hairs that grew back so far are barely noticeable and so much lighter in texture. 

I'm nervous about trying an epilator. But I am bracing myself to maybe try waxing or 'sugar' waxing soon. 

-----------------------

So Round 2 review- torso, abdomen and legs: 

This time I tried to better follow the directions. I bought some nice washcloths for wiping the hair off and new towel. I started the shower and applied the Nair dry, first on my chest and abdomen, then all over my legs, and a bit around the outer perimeter of my pubes. By the time I was done with my legs, about 5 minutes more or less of application to my abs had passed. I could see the hair starting to melt! 

Before starting with the legs I hopped in the already running shower. I just moved in a couple days ago and didn't take note of how wide the shower spray reached. My ankles and feet got wet. So below my knees the hair wasn't much effected. 

After probably shy of ten minutes application, I grabbed my new, dry washcloth and proceeded to wipe the gooie dissolved hair off in the same order I applied it. It worked quite well, just a simple wipe and I'm smooth. Even my outer pubes, they now have a smaller bikini shaped profile that I'm content with. My skin is pretty resilient and I didn't experience any burning, a slight tingly sensation but that's it. Lucky me. 

I rinsed, continued my shower routine and dried off quickly, eager to see my newly glabrous tummy in the mirror (it's been quite a while since I plucked the hair on my belly, other than outer edge shaping). There was a few stray hairs, but they aren't a huge bother and pluck away much more easily after the depilatory cream. 

I feel so much more confident with transitioning knowing I have this in my hair removal arsenal. I think every technique has it's strengths and weaknesses. This one, to me at least, is fairly quick and convenient. I could see it complimenting other techniques too. It's so amazing being able to see my glabrous skin again, it's been so long! ❤️

~Toni

I used to use Nair before I started using my epilator. I just didn’t like the stinging it can cause , especially if you’re not careful. Until I can fund electrolysis or lasers, I’m going to stick with my epilator. 

Hey Toni and everyone else. I am on Medicare ( which is do able even with a pt job, which I have) and they are covering my Facial electrolysis and surgeries( face, breast and bottom) so you might check then out. Also, I use Group-On a  lot for discounts of electrolysis for my back, chest and abs...there are soon greats deals...Good luck

• 3 months later...

Big thanks to Toni for sharing your hair removal experience! I too am looking to try depilatory creams. I have every day but my legs feel prickly towards the end of the day so wanted to try something else. Ellora - how often do you use your epilator? I'm thinking of getting a full body wax (yikes) and then trying an epliator after that.