• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shaving Legs?

JillAnne

I’ve been shaving my legs for 3years. What are your thoughts on this sensitive topic?

Edited by MaryEllen
Image removed per rule 8 of the site community rules

I much prefer my legs shaved but always miss spots here and there. I am slowly getting to a point where I don't mind if a few spots are missing (and thankfully now less stinging and cuts)

Ive been using an Epilator for quite sometime now. I prefer no hair, and if i could have it my way, I wouldnt have hair below my nose to the toes. ?. I always put Aloe Vera on afterward , and daily and also lotion to help prevent ingrown hair. I also exfoliate daily, and that makes a huge different too.  I love my legs so this is important me. 

It used to be such a hassle to be shaven. But now I shave 2-3x a week and it takes about 5 minutes. Everything is so soft from hrt that it takes no effort at all really. No more red bumps. No more ingrown hairs. No cuts or bleeding unless I mess up bad. I do use lotion daily and I use a sugar scrub Saturday’s. But that’s it. 

I am very happy with my new hairless body for sure. 

I love having smooth legs, and shave them regularly.  I lotion but don't exfoliate that often.  I think I will start.

Shaving my legs is the easy part. It’s the other areas that still give me problems. It’s usually because my clothes rub certain areas raw and exacerbate the sensitive spots. I’m diligent with exfoliating and use aloe but it doesn’t always work. I get better results with shaving gel but would like to try shaving oil. I tried the conditioner trick but that just makes it worse. I’m just now clearing up after a week.

I am actually hope to save to laser..I shave every 4 to 5 days. Since my HRT the hair is not as prevalent but its still annoying . But now I am using Aveeno( its a bit exp 6 dollars) it prevents bumps  and helps with cuts and nicks 

2 hours ago, Zoey said:

I love having smooth legs, and shave them regularly.  I lotion but don't exfoliate that often.  I think I will start.

If you love smooth legs, You definitely will love it after you exfoliate them! It will take all off the dead skin away, help with keeping the skin clean, soft and healthy! I recommend putting aloe ( or whatever you prefer) on after and then lotion. Try not to exfoliate after you have shaved/epilated. It may cause unnecessary irritation To the skin.  

I use exfoliating gloves that I bought at Walmart, and use body lotion or moisturizing soap. 

5 hours ago, Kirsten said:

It used to be such a hassle to be shaven. But now I shave 2-3x a week and it takes about 5 minutes. Everything is so soft from hrt that it takes no effort at all really. No more red bumps. No more ingrown hairs. No cuts or bleeding unless I mess up bad. I do use lotion daily and I use a sugar scrub Saturday’s. But that’s it. 

I am very happy with my new hairless body for sure. 

I’ve noticed my hair is getting lighter and I don’t need to epilate as frequently. I hope it becomes as easy as yours has gotten!

Just now, Josie Beth said:

I swear by aveeno! Nothing else seems to do the job as well. 

I will have to try some Aveeno now!

I love shaving my legs and how they feel after. I am prone to ingrown hairs on my inner thighs, no matter the shaving technique I use, how much I exfoliate before and after and which lotions I use. Hoping I can afford laser someday and never have to worry about that again.

*hugs*

Sara 

Just now, SaraAW said:

I love shaving my legs and how they feel after. I am prone to ingrown hairs on my inner thighs, no matter the shaving technique I use, how much I exfoliate before and after and which lotions I use. Hoping I can afford laser someday and never have to worry about that again.

*hugs*

Sara 

Try using 100% or even 99% Aloe Vera and see how that helps. It helped me a lot. I use it after I exfoliate, I try to use it every day, especially after I use my epilator. It helps with the inflammation, irritation, and every day care. 

8 hours ago, Ellora said:

I will have to try some Aveeno now!

Try coconut oil best moisturizer

I did some research like two months ago for moisturizers and everyone seemed to love shea butter over aloe vera, a lot even used a mix of shea butter and Jojoba oil to help it sink into the skin while letting it breath.  My partner has said my skin has gotten lighter, stretch marks less visible and skin much softer since I've used it, so much so that she uses it now too.  I order the shea butter unrefined so it doesn't lose some of it's skin benefits.  Going to order some 100% aloe vera and Jojoba oil this month to mix in too though. 

• 2 months later...

I always shave mine, but they just go hairy again. Still an inconvenience to have to shave, but to me it is much better than the horrible black thick hairs everywhere. They're my main cause for dysphoria.

• 2 weeks later...

I dished out the money for Laser on the thighs.  Good money spent.  No more ingrown hairs is a godsend.  Was $300 a session if you're curious.  Even if they say it's not permanent, it's still a huge reduction and makes it so much easier with the hair being much more sparse.

Exfoliating is your friend.  I could go on and on about that.  My GF took a lot of classes on Dermatology.

• Forum Moderator
7 hours ago, Julielynn said:

Exfoliating is your friend.

I agree with this.  My electrologist strongly recommends it.  

Jani

I like the way my legs feel shaved and really did not like hairy legs. I have waxed before and might try again. With waxing it will take a month to grow stubble again so they stay smooth longer. I've had difficulty in the past putting the wax on my legs (trouble spreading it, and I couldn't see how well it was spread on the back of my legs). I actually find the pain of waxing to be very, very mild.

• Forum Moderator

Every method has its drawbacks.  Waxing does remove the hair so regrowth will take some time, it does pull the hair out so ingrowns can be a concern.  You just need to watch and be cognizant of what your body is doing and telling you.  That said it probably is the least painful of removal techniques. 

Jani

• 1 month later...

So I shave my legs every day after exfoliating and then moisturize afterwards. I love the way my legs feel. I have problems with my arms and chest - I don't like to shave there because of razor burn and bumps. I've tried waxing my arms - which actually works well, but my chest - i don't know. Bought an epiliator and all I can say is ouch, it hurts. Anyone had luck with the hair removal on the chest ? I'm hoping HRT will make things a little easier.

• Forum Moderator

Wouldn't an electric razor work since you do it every day?   HRT will seem to make it lighter (not in color) but it will take some time.  

• Forum Moderator

I have been shaving my legs for almost 17 years. I too love the feel I get from freshly shaved legs. 

I have started laser on my face and Brazilian area. once those are done I will move to other areas, like my legs. The place I go to has a guarantee they will keep doing an area until it is hair free.  They will do an area until you are satisfied with the results. 

Kymmie

• Forum Moderator
16 hours ago, SamanthaC said:

I could try that for sure Jani - do you think it would be "close" enough? 

Yes, like anything there is a technique.  Since it seems so easy I tended to go too fast with an electric.  I learned to slow down and let the hairs get into the cutting area.  I have a 3 head rotary model but I imagine the wide bar type would do just as well.  Make sure you keep it clean too as hair and skin will accumulate in it.