• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hair removal (laser) without HRT

Discosaurus

Hi fellow trans-sisters.

Next week I have my first appointment for laser hair removal. I got my consultation a month ago were I got the advise to reconsider even doing it at all. The dermatologist (I believe that's the right word?) said the results though are very individual, and that we could give it a try. Not sure how to describe my problem really, except the usual struggle that everyone here probably goes through, and doing it in my second language also doesn't help. But long story short I'm not on hormones, and i've reached the conclusion to not do it, for now, for many reasons; one being the other possible treatments available among others, like hair removal. That made me feel some kind of hope. I went through a gender investigation, were I was very clear about this, and that HRT maybe wasn't an alternative for me. 

But now it appear to me that they maybe weren't used to handle trans people like myself that ended up not going with HRT treatment, and it isn't until now I get the information that it probably won't work, unless I took hormones and wen't through orchiectomy that is. 

A worry I have to may be hard to formulate is that what a "half-done" laser removal treatment could do to result in, if I give it a try. Today I have my routines. I get just about enough "stubble" every morning (or at least every other morning) that I may, if i like, shave and then be myself. Here my painfully-great hair growth actually comes in handy! I think if it went slower, the hair growth, I wouldn't perhaps be able to shave in the mornings?  Like I said, the possibility of permanent hair removal gave me hope, and sounded almost too great in my ears, and of course it hurts by getting the truth and to get that verified that it actually was (probably... still unclear) too great to be real. That hope is a life and death struggle for me. But it only depends on that is actually possible. For example, throughout the years, I've as much as given up the thoughts on me being a genuine woman, to the level that I'm not feeling dysphoria when thinking about say voice, breasts or genital. I've learnt to accept many parts of myself, at least to survive. But I actually thought I could change the facial hair, and therefore more dysphoria, and feelings regarding hope. In other words, I'm almost willing to do the sacrifice and try 2 accept my hair growth, on the thought that laser hair removal could be a risk that could rather make it even worse (my routines as I mentioned worked at least somewhat, and that means everything). 

I don't know if anything i've said will make any sense. But again, I'm worried that the results won't be permanent, and rather give me a bad hair growth, giving me the gray-look constant on my face that I can't get away (because you can't shave when it isn't barely anything, my experience says that you have to get some kind of "stubble"). And today I can actually as mentioned get the opportunity to feel newly shaved now and then, not feeling like a masculine gorilla. 

Any advise? Is there any one else that's been in my situation? 

Or "half done" maybe wasn't the word I was looking for, but more like perhaps, "half successful". 

• 5 months later...

Discosaurus,

Hope you are dancing and surviving since you posted.

I had 12 monthly sessions of laser hair removal on my face well before I started HRT.

In my case it made a little bit of difference.  I have also had alot of electrolysis both before and after my year of laser.  Both techniques are usually expensive.  Neither have been a miracle fix.   I had no big problems with the laser (no discolorations) , but would rather spend the money on electro.  My face is clearer than it used to be, even I don't shave. 

Looking forward to a day when I might have no more shadow

• Forum Moderator

Hello @Discosaurus

There are a lot of talks about laser being "permanent" hair removal versus "reduction".  Generally it is not permanent as there are many reports of hair growing back later.  Also it does not work on white or light colored hairs.  Only electrolysis is considered permanent and it does require multiple treatments to kill the hair follicle of each hair.

That said when I read this I was astounded. 

On 11/3/2019 at 2:25 PM, Discosaurus said:

But now it appear to me that they maybe weren't used to handle trans people like myself that ended up not going with HRT treatment, and it isn't until now I get the information that it probably won't work, unless I took hormones and wen't through orchiectomy that is. 

Hair removal of any type is not predicated upon whether one is having HRT or has had an orchiectomy!  Many people have this treatment for a variety of reasons.  Done properly it will work to the extent it can but its not a sure thing.  If the person providing the treatment is unwilling or unable to treat you then I would seek out someone else as they seem to be uneducated or at a minimum biased.  Being transgender has nothing to do with the outcome.  

Jani

• 3 months later...

Not sure if this topic is still alive @Discosaurus but I will add my 2 cents for anybody else interested on laser removal.

Pre-HRT, I wanted to start hair removal on my chest and stomach (as it was just starting to turn gray, so I had to get started).  I went to a clinic and it was very successful (but expensive) and after about 4 or 5 sessions  it was mostly gone on my chest, just a bit on my stomach.  I continued to go to do more on my upper pubic area, but it seemed less effective, and I almost got the feeling they were reducing the power settings ... maybe to keep me coming back?  Anyway, I stopped at that point and just turned to shaving my legs and whatever was left on my body.

I still want to remove or lighten my leg hair, my arms, and the more intimate areas of my pubic "V".  So, I recently bought a Braun home IPL.  Just arrived, so haven't tried it out yet, but will try to give an update in a few weeks.

Another thing I tried was papaya paste.  I read that enzymes in papaya pulp weakens the hair root over time and it will eventually fall out and often not return.  You can research online for different "recipes" of papaya and turmeric, or sesame oil, for better effect.  I have been rubbing papaya skins on my hands/arms for about 4 or 5 months, and I've noticed significantly less hair on the top of my hands.
So, its a slow process but does seem to have some validity too it.

Just fyi❣️

I've been epilating for a few months - hasn't helped much. I always had a light face growth but mustache area is a real pain and under chin and around that nasty adam's apple (can't wait to get a trachea shave - I nick myself there all the time) but I like the tip about papaya paste. I'll add that and maybe it will help. I'm almost thinking plucking might work better but I will continue to epilate and give it more time.