• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Wig length progression or just go for it?

ShawnaLeigh

So more of a "please let me know how you did it" sort of post.

I was wondering once you decided to go the wig route.  Did you go from a balding or short hair guy look right into long lushes female hair or did you start with shorter wigs and move slowly into wigs with longer and longer length until you settled at the length you wanted.  To kind of show a progression of your "hair" getting longer?  I realize this would be a high dollar process even going with cheapy wigs.

I suppose I am at a stage where I may not feel comfortable going to work on a Friday with my short mans military hair cut and Monday with my long beautiful female hair.  Though in reality I am not at a point where I can do this yet until I build at least a female professional work wardrobe.

• Forum Moderator

I suppose if you could afford it that would be a way to ease into things for all parties concerned, including you!

• Forum Moderator

I originally bought a short red-headed wig (I'm a natural red-head) for about $20. While I like the cut, I like it better on other people. A week later, I bought what was my go-to for my first year. It's not-quite shoulder length and auburn. Not quite my original color, but fairly close. I'm kind of a special snowflake and it's hard to find copper auburn in wig stores. My second wig was about $40. It started looking pretty ragged about a year later, but I learned a lot about wig care and the products that go into it. The one I'm wearing now is past my shoulders and Susan helped me pick it out. I considered some pretty wild changes, but she talked me down and we settled on this one. It's sort-of the right color (again, copper auburn is hard to find) and I love the way it frames my face. Even if I do keep it pinned back most of the time.

That progression wasn't really a conscious choice. It's just the way things worked out. I don't think I'd go back to short hair though. Despite the extra maintenance, I really like the way I look in long hair.

Hugs!

I definitely like the idea of moving from short man hair to longer female hair but not in one weekend.  I may do this with the cheaper ones as I have been impressed with the quality and real look they have.  It could get me into a slightly longer one a couple months down the line and so on and so on.  Until I go and have the expensive wig shop set me up with a more "permanent" wig.

(Yes I know they can wear out)

• Forum Moderator

I switched cold turkey.  I stood up, in male mode, at the weekly coffee gathering and announced that I would be transitioning, starting immediately.  The following week, I showed up with my wig on.  I didn't see any point in pretending I was growing it out: I didn't have enough on top to grow out, and everyone knew it.  So they all knew it was a wig.  I didn't care: I looked good.

35 minutes ago, KathyLauren said:

I switched cold turkey.  I stood up, in male mode, at the weekly coffee gathering and announced that I would be transitioning, starting immediately.  The following week, I showed up with my wig on.  I didn't see any point in pretending I was growing it out: I didn't have enough on top to grow out, and everyone knew it.  So they all knew it was a wig.  I didn't care: I looked good.

This both made me giggle and admire you all in one shot.

Thank you!

• Admin

I cross dressed for several years and ran with a crowd of other Cross Dressers for about 8 years.  The drastic change thing was part of that fun. My wigs were mostly mid shoulder length or longer.  My avatar here is one of them that I still wear since my own hair has zero ability to keep any curl or style volume really. I have a few more examples here in my GALlery that I posted a few years ago when someone was asking about wigs.  https://www.transgenderpulse.com/forums/gallery/album/1573-wigging-out/ I have far too many good wigs from that period still, and in good condition. 

• Admin
4 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

Yeah, that's pretty much how I did it, too.  But it was a month between announcing and coming to work be-wigged.  I started out with a shoulder length wig, but soon found it to be too hot (for So. Calif.).  I switched to the style I have now, plus I have a spare that's even shorter.

Carolyn Marie

I let my managers at work know that I would be moving forward with my transition the day before I first presented as female at work (long story, but they knew I was in the process, and would be doing it eventually).  I went from a mostly bald buzz-cut to hair just past my shoulder blades over night.  Since I was out to most people at work, it was a non issue.  Since then, I have gone to a much shorter style at work since I am in a very hot environment and want to stay as cool as possible.  I do occasionally wear the longer at work as well, but mainly wear it away from work.  The shorter style is also easier to get under a hair net (there's a sexy image for you LOL). 

• Forum Moderator

I went from a shaved head to a nicely stiles shoulder length wig right off the bat.  After all i had made the decision to live as myself and that was the thing both i and others had to accept rather than my hair length.

Hugs,

Charlize

1 hour ago, MiraM said:

The shorter style is also easier to get under a hair net (there's a sexy image for you LOL). 

Ive worked in food manufacturing as a Robotics and Machine Technician for over 25 years so I am very familiar with the hair net fun.  LOL

1 hour ago, Belle said:

Does anyone have suggestions on inexpensive wig brands that are actually good? I would like to buy one or two just to see.

I have been looking on amazon "Wigs for women" in the search bar.  There are a ton that are around $20 and good enough to pass as real.   I am going this route to play around with one and learn.  I eventually plan to go to my local wig shop and go through the whole process but this shop is a higher end and appointment only.  I want to have some knowledge before going.  LOL

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Belle said:

Does anyone have suggestions on inexpensive wig brands that are actually good? I would like to buy one or two just to see.

“Inexpensive” is relative but I’ve bought Paul’s Young wigs in the $60-$100 range that were OK and looked fairly real on me.  Before you buy online though, it’s a good idea to at least try your local wig shop...a “mom and pop” type shop, if you can.  You can find some deals in these places on occasion.  Be sure to stop in very early in the morning at the wig shop when they are less likely to be busy.  Monday’s and Tuesday’s preferably so you can get some undivided attention.  I did this so many times and it was so helpful to be able to not feel hurried.  I would try on a dozen or so different types and style plus you can find your correct size.  I remember being pleasantly surprised and bought a wig style that I wasn’t planning on originally. After trying it on a few times decided to buy.  You”ll pay $80 and up depending on length, style, construction and quality but it’s worth it.

IMHO, it’s better to have one really good wig that fits and looks good than 3 that fit “ok”, look “ok” but only last a few months or so.

Susan R?

• Admin

Most of the name brands go from affordable to way too expensive.  I have had good luck and low enough cost from Louis Fere, John Renau, and Henri Margu wigs.  Revlon is good as well. 

• 2 months later...
Guest Deleted account

I actually started with a long curly wig and after several years of dealing with that slowly shortened my style. I love shorter hair now, and if it’s the right style, it can flatter you. Since we all have different head and face shapes, not everyone will look good in shorter styles, but you will find they are much more comfortable in the summer months and overall easier to care for.