• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Jackie Goes For Bottom Surgery

Jackie C.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jackie C.

• Susan R

• ShawnaLeigh

• Jani

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator

Your cleansing process seemed mush worse than mine did.  I understand each doctor has their preferred process.  I know you'll be fine and this will be a distant memory soon.

Jani

Wishing you well through this. Sorry for being tardy, tried to post around dawn this morning but my browser went wonky and crashed.

This is a big step forward (not the cleanse) so I know you're excited about it.

Will keep you in mind through the next few days.

TA

• Forum Moderator

Part Three - Recovery

I have nothing to say about the main event. I sat in pre-OP forever and they finally took me about 10:30. Apparently it was one of those situations where the doctor was waiting on the nurse staff and the staff was waiting on the doctor. When they finally took me, it was just to the OR and then I was waking up. I did not wake up terribly well. The first sensation was like having to pee while your genitals are in a vice.

Fortunately there are drugs for that. 

I've been told the operation was a rousing success. Good depth, girth and appearance.

So what's recovery like?

No moving. I'm flat on my back until Friday.

Dressing comes off tomorrow. 

Walking comes Friday.

Drain changes every few hours. Catheter bag gets changed every eight hours or so. This would be why you should have a helper with you.

I tried food too early. Gave it back this morning. However, my gut is waking back up. Rolling gas through my gut. It's a bit more painful than the surgical site. Looking forward to that being done.

Hugs!

Despite the pain (that will pass) it sounds like this went successfully.

During one of my earlier surgeries (knee) I remember being rolled into the super bright OR then hoisted over onto the table. The nurse said "oh you were in the Army! Where were you stationed?" Then I was out, woke up in recovery wondering when the surgery would start.

I also had the food experience you did. Sorry. Not fun.

You'll be up dancing in no time!

Thanks for keeping us posted.

TA

WOHOO JACKIE YOU GO GIRL!! 

I am rooting for you, please keep up updated on your surgery and how it goes! We wish you strength. :)

• Admin
1 hour ago, Jackie C. said:

Rolling gas through my gut. It's a bit more painful than the surgical site.

It was the gas that made me SERIOUSLY wonder if what I had done was the right thing at all.  I had automatic leg massagers on my lower legs and the massage cycle was just slightly out of synchronization with the gas pain progression. I was going crazy from the combo.   Gas-X was needed much more badly than pain meds!!  Luckily my surgeon had liberal standing orders for that. 

Getting the primary dressing off is a huge step in comfort.  You are moving along on schedule.   Good healing.

• Forum Moderator

I have the massagers too! Probably SOP If you can't get up for three days. I'll ask the nurse about gas x. That sounds lovely. 

Hugs!

During my recent surgery (in August) I had 75% of my tummy removed.  No eating.  LOL

No gas though so I do not know this discomfort you ladies had/having.  I am so glad to hear you are out and doing well.  Healing is healing as its slow but sure.  Kinda like transitioning huh?

Rest easy and don't push yourself to much.  You don't want to break your new toy in the first two days.  LOL

JK

Congratulations Jackie. 

I am going to be following this thread closely as my GCS is coming up soon.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Amanda Amethyst said:

I am going to be following this thread closely as my GCS is coming up soon.

If you want to have a few laughs and groans go back to page 6 in the Post Op Forum.  I began making my posts on the Postie life back then and I did not pull out any stops on my life.  Two or three others all happened back then and they are good stuff too.

That's so wonderful Jackie! I'm glad everything is okay and moving forward so well!

My mother told me one time that sometimes gas can be as painful as giving birth. I was surprised to hear that. Hopefully it's not quite that bad for you.

Congratulations on a successful procedure. Wishing you a speedy and hopefully less gassy recovery moving forward.

I have GI issues and can attest to the pain a little bit of air can cause, let alone a lot. I’ve been doubled over in agony many a time. It will pass, in more ways than one. ? 

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

The nurse said that much of this could be alleviated if I could just sit up. So maybe tomorrow.  For now lots of vomiting and gas pain because I can't keep pills down. Such a glamorous life we trans women lead. It's no

wonder so many people "choose" this lifestyle. OK sarcasm off. I'm going back to bed.

Get some good rest dear. You'll need your strength to fight off all those guys that will be drooling over you!

?

TA

• Forum Moderator

Hope your gas pains and vomiting subside @Jackie C.. It sounds miserable but I hope you’re over the worst of it now.  I can tell you still have some spunk in your writing.  That’s always a good sign.

My Best,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

Hi Jackie, I hope all is well and you’re able to start feeling a little like yourself soon.  Have you been able to keep things down a bit since my last post?  How’s the gas pain?  How’s Susan holding up?

I started this post shortly after 4:30am or so here and I’m having one of those nights when my mind is keeping me awake because I have so many questions about your surgery.  Since I made my decision to move forward on GRS, I’m having trouble thinking about anything else.

I’m hoping you might help answer a few of them when you have a moment and feel up to it.  Also, your entire experience is currently fresh in your mind.  You have a lot going on so don’t feel any obligation to answer even a single one of these.  I’m just curious and maybe a little concerned about what I’m going to eventually experience.  I’ve never had surgery in my life with the exception of a tonsillectomy at age 4.  All I can remember about that is the severe sore throat I had.  So as you’ll see, I have a pain concern about GRS and to be honest...it’s because I have a low pain threshold.

Here we go...

What are some of the physical sensations you’re experiencing in the surgical site?

Is the pain dull achy, burning, hot or cold sensations, throbbing, intense sharp pain, a combination of many, etc...?

Are the pains internal or on the surface?

Is the ‘needing to pee’ sensation still there?

What ever pain(s) you’re experiencing, is it constant or occasional?

Does the pain travel from one area to another?

Have you experienced any phantom limb pains?

Is the pain so severe that it’s mainly all you can concentrate on?

Does the pain medication change the feeling of your pain?

When you attempt movement, what kind of pains do you feel?

Are there any normal actions or body movements you can not do at all or have been limited because of the surgery?

How does the surgery site feel while walking?

Are some of the pains subsiding after a few days in?

Are there any other pains [besides the stomach gas pains] that your feeling?

LOL, that’s all I guess.  Sorry!  Much more than I thought I had for you but if even a few are answered, it might give me some definition of the experience I’m going to encounter.

Warmest Regards,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

Let's see...

Pain was originally like having my "junk" in a vice. Now it feels more like a bad scrape.

I've had "phantom limb" where my body is reporting sensations in places that have been moved around.

The pain is much diluted. I rate it about a 2 on a scale if 1 to 10. The gas cramps are actually worse.

Morphine works for the pain.  I could sleep on day zero.

They haven't let me walk (or sit up) yet. I'm lobbying for that.

Hugs!

The gas pains and phantom limb is what ruins the excitement for me regardless of everything else because I have a health anxiety disorder, can anyone here attest to having an GRS while dealing with hypochondria/health anxiety disorder? If so, How would you rate your anxiety on a scale from 1 to 10?

Wow! @Susan R you sure do think about potential pain while wanting this surgery.  I'm not poking fun as it is a major concern for most likely all of us.

That is a great list actually as they are questions you could ask your doctors too though asking Jackie may be more fun as she has a way with words.  

I too would love to know the answer to a lot of those questions.  

I admit though I did giggle at the Phantom "Limb" which puts images of a very well endowed appendage being taken.   

Mines is more a stub.  LOL

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

Wow! @Susan R you sure do think about potential pain while wanting this surgery.

You’re not kidding...sadly, I know I’m very much preoccupied with the pain issue but knowing what to expect helps somewhat.

You all may laugh but I don’t even have pierced ears yet.  However, that’s about to change on Valentine’s Day.  So that little tidbit may help you understand why GRS is a big step for me.

Theres nothing like getting real-time info regarding an experience while it’s unfolding.  Jackie’s sharing information here that is invaluable to me and likely many others.  I thank her very much for doing this for us all here.

Susan R?

@Jackie C., I'm glad you made it through, and I am so happy for you that the procedure was a "rousing success"!  Sorry to hear about the gas pain, though. Sometimes gas can be as bad as passing a kidney stone!

Count me among those who would love to hear more about your exciting adventure!

• Admin

It will take 6 to 18 months for the "phantom limb" pain problem to finally resolve itself.  It is basically like you have moved down the block on your home street and mail is being delivered to the former address.  It is in your brain.  Believe it or not the dilating you have to do helps correct that problem.  

You have swelling of both the outer tissue (which MAY have real bright bruising) and swelling of deeper tissue which will cause pee problems for about 6 months.  The outer tissue swelling is why you need new underpants about two sizes larger than normal, and which are the elements of discomfort for sitting for several months.  Wood chair seats need four months to be usable again, and unpadded plastic is just as bad.  Upholstered chair seats need your "donut" for about 4 weeks.  I was able to drive my own truck without additional padding at 12 days post and had ridden in cars without the donut from day 6 but I did use absorbent pads under me or used heavy sanitary pads for several weeks and went to lighter ones at 2 months.

There will be one big moment when the tummy gas takes care of itself, THE FIRST POSTIE POOP!  You cleaned yourself out from end to end, and the innards are one huge wind tunnel until they get some new content which hospital food helps, but not as much as a good normal totally UNhealthy meal will.  Morphine while useful for the first day or two's pain does interfere with the guts getting back to regular working order.