• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

IPL as an option during quarantine?

RobynNYC

Hi, with covid quarantine leaving everything closed for probably the next few months ☹️ I’m wondering if forum members have any thoughts on IPL for the face?  I was planning on going for an electrolysis or laser consult but that’s not an option now.   I epilate below the neck but epilation is not an option for the face.  

Any recommendations you all might have I’d love to hear!

Thanks so much,

robyn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DragonflyGirl

• Tilly

• April Marie

• KayC

• Forum Moderator

I'm not expert but I don't think the non-professional units are strong enough to do much on facial hair.  Seems like it would be a long process.   You might want to use it for other areas as you note.

Jani

I have an ipl and it has made no difference. I have given up on it and scheduled an laser appointment but the virus stopped that also.

• 1 month later...

I've just ordered an IPL off Amazon. It's arriving on Tuesday and from what I've read on the reviews, I don't know how I've managed without one!

I'm not a very hairy person anyway, but the unwanted hair I have got is very dark and my skin is very pale so I'm very hopeful I'll see good results. Any difference at all to my facial hair will be an added bonus, but I've got a couple of bits there where the hair is all white, so I'm less hopeful in that department but not entirely pessimistic.

• Forum Moderator
29 minutes ago, DragonflyGirl said:

I'm not a very hairy person anyway, but the unwanted hair I have got is very dark and my skin is very pale so I'm very hopeful I'll see good results. Any difference at all to my facial hair will be an added bonus, but I've got a couple of bits there where the hair is all white, so I'm less hopeful in that department but not entirely pessimistic.

Just be careful the first time you use it. Lasers can burn your skin if you're not careful. The IPL I've got did jack-all to me (fortunately) but I've had medical lasers give me first and second degree burns (pus, peeling, etc...). Granted I'm paper-white, but you don't want to cover yourself in sores if you don't have to.

Hugs!

27 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

Just be careful the first time you use it. Lasers can burn your skin if you're not careful. The IPL I've got did jack-all to me (fortunately) but I've had medical lasers give me first and second degree burns (pus, peeling, etc...). Granted I'm paper-white, but you don't want to cover yourself in sores if you don't have to.

Hugs!

Thanks, Jackie! ??

Yeah, I should have said it recommends to start on a very low setting and build from there. I will be using it very carefully, as I burn in the sun really easily and I don't want to be putting myself in hospital! I'll post anything I think could be useful to anyone else thinking of trying, or important safety advice when I've had a good mess around with it! ?

Update:  I’m not sure it’s helping on my face.  My legs and arms and chest are responding well to epilating and hair inhibiting moisturizer.   It’s been a struggle to stay regular with the IPL treatments too but it’s therapeutic in a way.  it stings a little bit it has not harmed at all and it’s only moderately more painful than shaving (which hurts my face..).  I think I have mentioned on these boards before that finding the time for self care has been a challenge in lock down but it’s getting better.    

:D

@DragonflyGirl please let me know how it works and feel free to DM me!

28 minutes ago, RobynNYC said:

Update:  I’m not sure it’s helping on my face.  My legs and arms and chest are responding well to epilating and hair inhibiting moisturizer.   It’s been a struggle to stay regular with the IPL treatments too but it’s therapeutic in a way.  it stings a little bit it has not harmed at all and it’s only moderately more painful than shaving (which hurts my face..).  I think I have mentioned on these boards before that finding the time for self care has been a challenge in lock down but it’s getting better.    

:D

What hair inhibiting moisturizer are you using I’d like to try that 

47 minutes ago, RobynNYC said:

@Emily michelle TreeHut Hair Minimizing Body Butter and Don’t Grow There.  I like the body butter better.  

Thank you I will have to look for it. I have an appointment for laser for my face and the end of this month. I wish I could afford to do everything I hate my body hair.

3 hours ago, RobynNYC said:

Will do, Robyn! ?

Amazon have told me my device will be arriving Friday now! I'm really frustrated because I can't wait to try the thing! ?

At least it's another few days to grow the condemned hair out a bit!

I've heard nothing but bad things about ipl, mostly that it doesn't work. But if any of y'all have a good experience let us know! 

I keep getting ads on Facebook for ipl units. Actually I came here to make a thread asking about it then saw this thread already here lol. I SO want to try it! 

~Toni

Ps I miss the sting of the laser. I can't wait until quarantine is over so I can resume my treatments...

My IPL has arrived, but either it doesn't work or I'm an idiot. Everything lights up and the fan comes on, but I seem to have no laser! ?

Yes, it does have an instruction book. It's all in tiny writing that I can't read. ?

• Admin

Non FDA approved IPL units are at best marginally useful for female hormone hairs.  The actual IPL machines need to be operated by a TRAINED and LICENSED electrologist for real safety reasons.  Their prices are much more than a non professional person can invest in and will not be sold to unlicensed personnel.  The maximum power of the home machines is virtually the OFF position on the FDA approved machine.  I have several friends who do the IPL and one of them buys the home types just for comparison and as an electronics type, just the power sources say the home type do not have the real power needed. 

I think I figured out how to get mine to flash.

Problem is it gave me a heart attack and I've thrown it across the room.

I'll see if it still works later when I'm feeling more brave. ?

• Forum Moderator

I have shined literally everything I own with a laser in it directly into my eyes at some point or another. I'm beginning to think that it's a problem with me.

If it's anything like mine, you'll find it surprisingly durable. I was really impressed with the heft of the thing.

Second time's the charm. Maybe after some soothing tea.

Hugs!

• 2 months later...

I'm no longer scared of my IPL and have mastered its use, I think!

The results over a couple of months have been fantastic. I won't be surprised if I don't have to use it any more by Christmas! It's the best money I ever spent!

I use it weekly and it's really going to town on my unwanted hair follicles. The first couple of weeks, I wondered if it was actually doing anything because the hair appeared to grow back, but I've since learned that it was just the dead follicles pushing themselves out.

It's absolutely fine for facial use and some people (including me now!) IPL their whole faces because the laser has anti-aging effects. I don't worry about developing a shaving shadow during the day any more, which really is a HUGE weight off me. I can't exaggerate how wonderful that feels. Beard growth is something that makes me feel absolutely sick about myself and I'm praying that continued use of my IPL can keep it away for good.

• 1 month later...

I had good results with IPL as well, at least a current version.  I tried it about 7 years ago and that one was almost useless.  This one I noticed a reduction in hair on my legs after the first use.  Plus I know it is working because I get the burnt hair smell.  I backed off on treatments in the summer because I am out cycling and such in the summer sun and IPL and sun exposure don't mix.  I am back into treatments again.  HRT also reduced hair growth over the summer so the two things are working together.  I am glad you got one of the ones that work.

My beard hair is still coming through, but I can shave most of it with a dry Bic these days, so I know I'm winning. The big problem now is an annoying patch of white hairs on my chin which are as tough as they ever were and won't be reduced by continued use of IPL.

HRT probably has had a significant input into nuking my body hair. If it eventually reduces these chin hairs to a degree where I can just brush them off with a Bic, I'll be well happy.

Hello,

I have the white hairs to.  My understanding is that the only way to get those is from electrolysis.  Some people think that electrolysis is the only way to go for all facial hairs.  The problem is that everyone's skin and hair is different so there is no one universal solution.

This tans woman, who is a frequent contributor to this site, has some experience and training in hair removal and has gotten me wondering if I am using the best method in the long run. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcyEcbwO2w3r0clHQ5UJ_6Q

Either way I know I need electrolysis for the grey hairs.

My home IPL has been fantastically effective in just 2 months use (once a week).  My rather hairy legs are about 80-90% done.  Hardly have to shave after 2 or 3 weeks.  Arms are next.  Pubic area will take a few more weeks but its about 60-70% done.  And yes @Calist L and @DragonflyGirl the few white hairs that were on my chest are still there.  Electrolysis for those someday.

I am not sure about using it on my face, and the cautions don't recommend it.  Also, I wear laser protection glasses while using just to be extra cautious ?

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2020 at 4:35 PM, DragonflyGirl said:

I've just ordered an IPL off Amazon. It's arriving on Tuesday and from what I've read on the reviews, I don't know how I've managed without one!

Hi DragonflyGirl! I'm wondering how you're feeling about IPL seven months down the road?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the correct way to use IPL at home , Once a week , starting from D 2 ,  then in each month 1 degree is added ? 

thank you for sharing this information 

Update from my previous post -

@Rania (Welcome!!) I've had an IPL for about 4 months.  I started with once a week (mostly on legs, pubic, and stomach).  The manual said to use it once a week for 10 - 12 weeks.  It worked so well I stopped/cut back for a while after 6 weeks, but then noticed hair growth was less in volume but coming back. (so I think the 10-12 weekly sessions recommendation was accurate)

Since then I have just concentrated on areas that seem to be harder to control.  Pubic area is definitely one, and for some reason around my knees (even though my thighs and calves are close to hairless now).  I also started on my arms 4 weeks ago and have seemed to get moderate results so far.

Be sure you have some decent eye protection.  Buy laser approved dark glasses (but don't count on those alone).  I look away, close my eyes and use a towel if I can to help cover the areas around my glasses that let the light in.