• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

IPL as an option during quarantine?

RobynNYC

On 3/7/2021 at 12:53 PM, KayC said:

Update from my previous post -

@Rania (Welcome!!) I've had an IPL for about 4 months.  I started with once a week (mostly on legs, pubic, and stomach).  The manual said to use it once a week for 10 - 12 weeks.  It worked so well I stopped/cut back for a while after 6 weeks, but then noticed hair growth was less in volume but coming back. (so I think the 10-12 weekly sessions recommendation was accurate)

Since then I have just concentrated on areas that seem to be harder to control.  Pubic area is definitely one, and for some reason around my knees (even though my thighs and calves are close to hairless now).  I also started on my arms 4 weeks ago and have seemed to get moderate results so far.

Be sure you have some decent eye protection.  Buy laser approved dark glasses (but don't count on those alone).  I look away, close my eyes and use a towel if I can to help cover the areas around my glasses that let the light in. 

Thank you for your kind advice , Should I do waxing before IPL or shaving is enough especially at areas like the face where the hair does not fully disappear by shaving 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DragonflyGirl

• Tilly

• April Marie

• KayC

Body butter better. Lol quite the tongue twister there!

But I think I'd like to check out those products.

Thanks for sharing them with us

• 1 month later...

I've been reluctant to get electrolysis or laser here in our local community due to the risk of being recognized until I make the decision to come out fully or not. My wife took the initiative and bought a Braun Silk Expert Pro 5 IPL system thru Amazon for us both to use. After doing a test area last Saturday, I did my lower body after my normal Sunday shave. The system we have has 3 power settings - I found that the most comfortable was the lowest setting but assumed it would yield minimal results.

6 days post first treatment and I'm thrilled. I have almost no regrowth on my legs with the exception of my upper inner thighs (and upper groin) where my hair is coarser.  This weekend, I'll give my lower body a second pass and try some other areas like my chest and arms.

Oooh, this is promising! I just wish it could be safely used on my facial hair. But, every reduction in location and frequency of hair growth and shaving is a victory.

Hi @Rania

Sorry I did not reply on your previous question.  I would not recommend waxing before IPL.  My understanding is the IPL works by targeting the base of the dark hair roots, and over time and multiple uses, that root will eventually die and never come back.  I think if you wax you are going to pull the root/follicle out and there is nothing for the IPL to 'zap'.  

Usually I will just shave and wait an extra day so the root follicle is there at the surface of the skin, and then do my home IPL session.  I have so few hairs now, I usually only need to spot shave where I can see a few hairs growing.

Similar to @April Marie my IPL is a Braun.  I did a lot of research and reviews on Amazon and it seemed the best (but more expensive, of course).  I am not specifically recommending a Braun IPL for you, but mine has worked really well (but it does take a while).

Good luck on getting the smooth skin you deserve ❣️

• 1 month later...

Just an update on my IPL use. I’m 7 weeks into using it on a weekly basis. It has worked superbly on my legs - barely any growth in 7 days post use and the hair is getting very soft. Pretty good results in my groin area - still some growth but slower and softer. Arms are showing good results, too. Slower growth and softer.  Still hoping for some better results on my chest. The great news here is that much of my hair is gray but appears to have enough color to be impacted by the light impulse.

After much research and consideration I decided to try using it on my upper and lower lip - the two areas where I have some density of darker hairs and where I fight to cover the constant shadow in my makeup. Today was my second application - it seems to have had some initial impact after week 1 but only time will tell. 

I’ll update in a few weeks.

Happy to hear you're getting such great results @April Marie😀 even after only 7 weeks.  So I think if you keep at it you will reach your goals in no time.  I found pubic area and arms to be the most stubborn.

Please be careful with the facial removal.  I had read it could cause damage to the skin/follicles and also make electrolysis removal difficult if you need that later. 

Thanks for sharing!

24 minutes ago, KayC said:

Happy to hear you're getting such great results @April Marie😀 even after only 7 weeks.  So I think if you keep at it you will reach your goals in no time.  I found pubic area and arms to be the most stubborn.

Please be careful with the facial removal.  I had read it could cause damage to the skin/follicles and also make electrolysis removal difficult if you need that later. 

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the warning!!! I have been watching for any signs of damage - not seeing anything so far but I will proceed cautiously. What I read said it could be used for shaping, not full removal so I'm just working on a small area to see how it goes.

Otherwise, the rusults have been amazing - but, like you, the arms and pubic area (and my chest) have been the most stubborn although I am seeing some progress.

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2023 at 3:27 AM, April Marie said:

Oooh, this is promising!

Hi April, I would love to hear an update on your experience with the Braun IPL machine.  I have been thinking of getting one, but it is because the Braun Silk Epil 9 epilator doesn't seem to work that great.  So I am starting to wonder if Braun Products are just over rated and over priced, and wonder if I would be wasting my money.

On the other hand, if you are still seeing decent results and some others have too, I might be willing to give it a try.  It really would be nice to not have to shave all the time!

Lilly

Hi @lillyinmn!! Both my wife and I have been very happy with our Braun IPL machine. It really did wonders for both of us. For me, my legs reacted fastest with a noticeable slowdown in hair growth in just a few weeks. Over time, I could have gone more than a week without shaving my legs with few hairs starting to grow in that time. Basically, it was just touch up in area where the hair was courser. I also had some success in the bikini area - growth slowed a lot and probably would have continued to slow.

The only problem with IPL is that you can't use it if you're tan/tanning. It senses coloration and goes after the dark hair. If your skin is dark it will also target the skin - not a good thing. So, it's tanning season here and I've now stopped using the IPL until Fall. I do see a slower regrowth of hair on my legs and bikini area and the hairs have become finer. I'll have a full Fall/Winter to use it this year and expect great results.

The only downside for me is that I have a lot of gray hair - my arms, chest and stomach are all gray and I've not had much results in those areas - perhaps a little slowing of growth but that's it.

I hope this helps.

6 hours ago, April Marie said:

If your skin is dark it will also target the skin - not a good thing.

Thank you for your reply April Marie!  How does the IPL react to moles and freckles?  Do you have to avoid going near them?  And I suppose it wouldn't work so well on the chest for me either.  That is just a big patch of gray! But most of the other hair is darker.  It sounds like it might be worth a try.

Do you do a session right after shaving, or wait a short while?  I suppose if it senses the color differential, there needs to be something visible for the sensor to detect.

I am also wondering, if you have to look away, how do you know you are hitting your target?  

This is all quite intriguing.  I have not had much luck with epilating, it seems to leave too much behind, especially hair that lays flat against the skin!  Getting rid of hair is time consuming!

Lilly

6 minutes ago, lillyinmn said:

Thank you for your reply April Marie!  How does the IPL react to moles and freckles?  Do you have to avoid going near them?  And I suppose it wouldn't work so well on the chest for me either.  That is just a big patch of gray! But most of the other hair is darker.  It sounds like it might be worth a try.

Do you do a session right after shaving, or wait a short while?  I suppose if it senses the color differential, there needs to be something visible for the sensor to detect.

I am also wondering, if you have to look away, how do you know you are hitting your target?  

This is all quite intriguing.  I have not had much luck with epilating, it seems to leave too much behind, especially hair that lays flat against the skin!  Getting rid of hair is time consuming!

Lilly

Great questions!! I have moles and sun spots on my legs and arms - never tried to avoid them and haven't had any issues.

I generally used it right after shaving - it senses the darker hairs even when cut, although you could easily wait a bit...just be prepared for that "burning hair" smell 🙂

The device is designed so you don't see the actual light so you don't have to look away. You just guide it over the area you're working on. You see the flash but the light is directed downward not up or out.

All in all, I've been happy with the results.

Hi @lillyinmn  I posted earlier in this thread, and like @April Marie I have a Braun home IPL (Silk-expert Pro 3) and have also been very happy with the results.  I would say 95% of my leg and stomach hair is GONE (and my leg hair was pretty thick).  Upper pubic area is managed pretty well but 'downtown' is a bit more difficult 😄 but I want to keep some of that anyway.

As advertised white/gray hair is pretty stubborn and the home IPL won't likely work well.  I've done a little bit of facial lately with some effect but I am leery of using it too much on my face.

The product cautions to avoid moles, and dark skin patches.  Not sure if you will do damage to your skin but you will likely feel the burn.  I do protect my eyes when using ... just in case.

I also read it's best to do a session soon after shaving since the IPL is trying to reach the root.  If the hair is too long (you will know it if you smell the hair burning) then it will not be as effective.

I hope you have great success with home IPL.  Removing/managing my body hair has been very affirming for me.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, I too was going to start a new thread and then saw this :)

I wondered if we could have some more thoughts about specific IPL's?

A few years ago I used a Tria laser 3x which hurt quite a bit and didn't seem all that effective to me. But recently I've had a load of adverts for new IPL's and having read some independent reviews, including on trustpilot, they seem pretty good. So I wondered if anyone knows about different brands, especially ones available in the UK?

For instance, the LUMI IPL by RoseSkinCo is plastered all over my facebook and gets v.g. reviews.

Then there's AMINIZER 600-1200nm IPL

And others ...!

p.s. I've had over 80 hour facial electrolysis and have no grey or white hairs on my face. Just some darker ones there and on chest. Otherwise I'm mostly hair free. A bit on my legs but nothing more than a natal female. Would be nice to zap them though!

I use a Braun Silk Expert Pro 5 and am very happy with it. In fact, now that my tan is starting to wan, I've just restarted using it and am looking forward to the slower hair growth.

I use a Braun Silk Expert Pro 3, and like @April Marie I am very happy with my results.  I am mostly complete with my body hair other than occasional touchups.  Still need facial electrolysis though.  Most of my beard is gray.

That's great ladies.

Does the Braun have a cooling mechanism? That's what is advertised with some of these models (not the Tria) and it seems to make a big difference in terms of pain reduction.

xx

Ladies can you tell me if the Ketch Beauty and Braun Silk Expert have cooling? This seems to make a big difference to pain levels and therefore tolerance to treatment, but I'm not sure how these tiny little machines actually cool?

The Braun does have a fan cooling system. It has three application levels. I find that using it on 2 causes no pain for me at all. I can generally tolerate level 3 almost everywhere but some areas are a bit more sensitive. 

7 hours ago, Tilly said:

Ladies can you tell me if the Ketch Beauty and Braun Silk Expert have cooling? This seems to make a big difference to pain levels and therefore tolerance to treatment, but I'm not sure how these tiny little machines actually cool?

Ketch Beauty has four or five settings to control the intensity. I have gotten used to the highest setting. It used to hurt some but not anymore. The lower settings didn't at all. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2023 at 12:42 AM, Tilly said:

For instance, the LUMI IPL by RoseSkinCo is plastered all over my facebook and gets v.g. reviews.

Hi Tilly,

I am suspicious of anything advertised via social media.  I can only speak for one product, the one I am currently using.

I have to say I am pleased to find the Braun Silk Expert Pro 5 to be almost as effective as I had hoped.  I have been using it about six weeks on my arms and when I saw noticeable progress on my arms, I started using it on my legs too.  And after just a few weeks, the shaving bumps on my inner thighs are all nearly gone. 

I have to admit, the way I noticed it was actually working was when I looked at my arms in the right light, I could only see some grey hairs.  That's because IPL doesn't really work on grey hairs!  With that said, they are barely noticeable.  I am still doing treatments on my arms once a week, and by the time I get to my next treatment a week later, some arm hairs are just starting to be noticeable.

So I am pretty happy with it---I am still a little worried about zapping my skin with what looks like intense IR radiation, but I tell myself "its FDA approved!"  If another option were more feasible at this time, I might try it.  But this one seems to be working.

The one big drawback I can think of is probably what you will find with any IPL.  That is making sure you hit everything with the little zapper without hitting it too many times.  I am always wondering:  "now did I already get that undefined spot on the back of my arm I can barely see?"

I noticed spots on the reflective surfaces and the lense, so I started cleaning it after every use with a Q tip and rubbing alcohol, then following up with a lint free cloth--and now there is no accumulation of spots or discoloration on the IPL unit itself.  

Hope this helps!

Lilly

Hi Lilly,

This is such a helpful detailed response. Thank you so much. It sounds really good.

I also think you are very wise about the social media adverts. Funnily enough just this morning I had an advert about testing of 20 IPL products. To be fair 'Honest Reviews' are, in my meagre experience, a good outfit so I suspect this is a bona fide test of what they found to be the better (best) hand held home IPL's around:

https://the-honest-review.com/at-home-laser-hair-removal-reviews-2022-uk.html

Would be very interested in thoughts from you and everyone.

xx