• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Rookie question

So one of my main concerns through this wonderful journey I’ve begun is my hair... I’m not bald or anything, but the clouds are parting a little, so to speak.  It was to the point that, before admitting my truth to myself, I’d just tell the barber to buzz me with a “1 guard.”

Do hormones help with this? Are they able to do it alone in light cases or do I need to be thinking about a supplemental option?

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

They can help with thinning... a little. In general though, once it's gone it's gone.

Hugs!

3 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

They can help with thinning... a little. In general though, once it's gone it's gone.

Hugs!

So what’s left? Rogaine? Hair plugs?

Wigs or if you are brave then au naturel wichita! The hair is already gone. This was a big deal when I started wondering what I would do as I have been bald since I turned 17, but think of the fun you you can have changing hair syles, colours or length! They can be a great fashion accessory :) ?‍??‍♀️?‍??‍??‍??

I've personally known only one MtF girl (early 40s) who has had success growing back a meaningful amount of hair after a year on HRT plus one prescription plus one over-the-counter option, and even then, it didn't address the receding hairline along the front.  So I wouldn't count on much happening up on top. As DeeDee says, wigs are certainly a way to go. As long as we're social distancing, it's not going to be possible to consult personally with an experienced wig consultant (a lot better than trying your chances over the Internet), but hopefully that will be possible again, down the road.

Best wishes!

Astrid

Maid In Bedlam

I can say. If you are lucky. You will get some growth back. It all depends on your genetic makeup I suppose. I'm not an expert.
I did do a thread about it once that I was going to put results in. But it was archived before I had a chance to do so.

These things take time.

The picture below is the results after around 4 years of E in patch form. I have had slightly more growth than I had when the picture was taken. perhaps about a year ago.  It's not much but it does prove that hair regrowth is possible. I wouldnt say it is ever going to be the flowing locks of my youth but its better than nothing

What you see was hairless pre hormones. You can clearly make out its shape. So whatever you read that says Hormones do not give hair regrowth is in essence not true. But the circumstances as stated above do make a difference.

776536893_Hairnew.thumb.jpg.e4d15f581e21eb72543a01ed7426eeba.jpg

21 hours ago, DeeDee said:

Wigs or if you are brave then au naturel wichita! The hair is already gone. This was a big deal when I started wondering what I would do as I have been bald since I turned 17, but think of the fun you you can have changing hair syles, colours or length! They can be a great fashion accessory :) ?‍??‍♀️?‍??‍??‍??

Well I don’t know I’m there quite yet. Obviously when I switch how I present in public, my hair likely won’t yet be super long and a wig might be required. But once my own hair is long enough, I’d like to be able to ditch the wig.

I’m hopeful that even a tiny bit of regrowth can do sufficient for me. Aside from buzzing my hair down to a 1 guard, when I let it go it’s mostly all there....just a bit of thinning right in the front/middle area. 

It’s thin enough to notice, but not thin enough to be “bald,” not even close. Seriously...I didn’t even really notice it until one day waaaaay back in 2016. I had to go to an HR appointment that ultimately led to my retaliation termination. I hadn’t done anything with my hair in a long while, being a night shift person with no employee access. So I got ready for the HR appointment in regular business casual clothes, ran some mousse through my hair (it still remembered the shape it had when I used to fuss with it every day), and that’s when I had to kinda squint and wonder “Is it me or is it thinning up there?”

Of course that was confirmed when I later got a haircut and asked the barber. 

In my case, though, I don’t think it’s male-pattern baldness. They say you get your hair from your mother’s side of the family and all the men on her side had full heads of hair. It’s just that I was in a severe downward stress, anxiety, depression spiral and it was affecting me physically. It’s a spiral that would last until, well, two weeks ago when I finally admitted this truth to myself. From the time of my initial noticing of the thinning to now, I don’t appear to have lost any more.

I’m going to try and force myself to be patient and see what hormones do/don’t do and then see what my options are after that. 

Note my use of the word “try” in regards to patience. I suspect I’ll need lots of patience, having just begun this journey. Patience has been kind of a hit-and-miss prospect for me up to now.

17 hours ago, Maid In Bedlam said:

I can say. If you are lucky. You will get some growth back. It all depends on your genetic makeup I suppose. I'm not an expert.
I did do a thread about it once that I was going to put results in. But it was archived before I had a chance to do so.

These things take time.

The picture below is the results after around 4 years of E in patch form. I have had slightly more growth than I had when the picture was taken. perhaps about a year ago.  It's not much but it does prove that hair regrowth is possible. I wouldnt say it is ever going to be the flowing locks of my youth but its better than nothing

What you see was hairless pre hormones. You can clearly make out its shape. So whatever you read that says Hormones do not give hair regrowth is in essence not true. But the circumstances as stated above do make a difference.

776536893_Hairnew.thumb.jpg.e4d15f581e21eb72543a01ed7426eeba.jpg

And this gives me the hope I spoke about. Thank you! The area you refer to as previously hairless, yet now showing hair is still thinner than what mine has become (though it’s close). It appears you and I are probably in a similar boat. I just look at that as further “evidence” you and I are on the right path. Congrats on your regrowth. :) That makes me happy.

I mean...hair regrowth after getting put on the correct hormones? That’s a pretty telling sign for me of what we really are/were meant to be. Right? 

Maid In Bedlam
21 hours ago, Wichita said:

Congrats on your regrowth. :) That makes me happy.

I mean...hair regrowth after getting put on the correct hormones? That’s a pretty telling sign for me of what we really are/were meant to be. Right? 

Thank you. It made me happy to when it started to show growth where there was hair desert.

However dont be under any illusions. That took about 4 years of E to get that regrowth. It was just E and not any of those treatments you can buy. As I say. Theres a little more there now. Its still not and doubt it will ever be back to full coverage. But If you set your goal low then whatever you get. If any is a bonus. I never expected it. But as i said above. I have heard there is no regrowth expected. I think for some that theory may not be so set in stone

29 minutes ago, Maid In Bedlam said:

Thank you. It made me happy to when it started to show growth where there was hair desert.

However dont be under any illusions. That took about 4 years of E to get that regrowth. It was just E and not any of those treatments you can buy. As I say. Theres a little more there now. Its still not and doubt it will ever be back to full coverage. But If you set your goal low then whatever you get. If any is a bonus. I never expected it. But as i said above. I have heard there is no regrowth expected. I think for some that theory may not be so set in stone

I'm definitely tempering my expectations, or trying to. I'm aware, too, that I'm kinda putting the cart before the horse a bit since I haven't started hormones yet. I haven't even gotten a call back from the transition counselor yet. But it's only been 3 business days since my file was updated by the LGBT coordinator. 

Still...I can feel the Varuca from Willy Wonka mentality already...

"I want it now...I want the whole thing..."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

• Cooldrinkofwater9
    • claire1000
    • VickySGV
    • Tasha Marie
    • AwesomeClaire
    • Flowers
    • Transgirlkatie
    • Jackie C.
    • Carly57
    • Delcina B
    • ValerieRun
    • Aurora
    • Emily Michele
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

jlivingston
    Newest Member
    jlivingston

1. emily the wolf
      emily the wolf
      (16 years old)
    2. Fai
      Fai
    3. Iberianwolf12
      Iberianwolf12
    4. VSS-Rosa
      VSS-Rosa
      (22 years old)
    • Jackie C.
      Salutations @Flowers and welcome to TransPulse!   I'm actually in a similar position to your spouse. While my wife loves me very much, she's still getting used to the idea that I don't want to be the person initiating all the time. Sometimes I just want to have my partner make my toes curl, y'know?   So, first off... communication. Straight up ask what she wants from you in the bedroom. If there's something that you'd like too, now is a good time to bring it up. You don't need a script or a step-by-step guide, just a couple of things that would make her feel good. While you're at it, tell her how you feel. Be open and honest about your insecurities and ask if she'll help you learn what to do.    Second, accept that it's going to be awkward. Think back to your first time. Were you the best lover ever? Of course you weren't. It's like any other skill: You need to practice. Fortunately, practice is fun! You might also encourage her to be more vocal about what she's enjoying during the act. I know I have trouble with this one. I have a problem with concentrating too hard on my partner to pay attention to what's going on over on MY side of the bed. Which is unfortunate, because if I'm not in the right headspace, nothing is going to happen for me anyway.   So, on the subject of headspace. Make sure you're in the mood. I have no earthly idea what you're into, but our foreplay can go on for a while. Take your time with each other. Ease into things and get in synch with each other's bodies. Don't rush and take things as they come. Like my spouse used to remind me when we were younger, "It's not a race." You don't have to jump right into the main act. Tease each other a little (or, you know, a lot).   Heh, @VickySGV just said pretty much the same thing I did, just with less words. 😉   I also wanted to say good on you for supporting your trans wife and trying to be the best spouse you can be. Welcome to the site. We're glad you're here.   Hugs!
    • VickySGV
      We will need to keep our answers here on the discreet side due to the rule about our under 18 members, but I think we can do that.   @Flowers how do you feel about initiating Cuddling?  Not sex up front, just cuddling and being there in mind tune with your wife?  Her body if she is on hormones is going to be becoming more like yours has been and I bet that just the Cuddling was a big help for you.  It is a way to invite EACH OTHER into a part of your life where total body intimacy flows into things. HRT is going to be taking her from the realm of FAST sex to a more female progression to your BIG moment, and it will be the two of you, not just one of you. 
    • VickySGV
      @Transgirlkatie  This is the most excellent take on life for any of us in these times.  Look out and see what you can do for OTHERS, it is a big step and scary at first, but it does so much for our own outlook on life.
    • Flowers
      Hi there. I have a really hard time talking so this seems huge to me. I want to be intimate with my transitioning wife and have sex but I am so awkward at initiating anything. My trans wife feels like I don't like having sex with her but It's not that. It's that I've never been the one to initiate sex, and I'm bad at it and self conscious. She used to initiate it more and I'm experiencing performance anxiety where I never used to experience that because I was never initiating or taking the lead.  I want to express how much I love but I keep end up making her feel bad with my awkwardness and I get more and more self conscious about sex. If you have any advice or similar feelings please feel free to respond:)
    • Delcina B
      Hugs for you Katie! I'm not in your shoes, but we're all wearing the 6 inch heels called COVID. It's depressing sometimes to keep up the safety measures. I used to deal with depression differently than now. These days when I catch myself feeling down I look around at my family or online & see if there's someone I can help out. Even if it's in some small way, it might just make their day better. I definitely feel better when I don't focus on me & my troubles.   Another hug, Delcina
    • LusciousTheLock
      Congratulations!  Good work  
    • KathyLauren
      Someone else with a Zook.  My ride, back in the day, was a Suzuki GT380.  The GT series were two-strokes, so it had credible power for highway riding.  I did a few long vacation trips on it.  But motorcycles are for young folks.  I sold it a long time ago.
    • KathyLauren
      Wow!  I was all set to post a "fingers crossed" message as I caught up on the posts.  But now I get to post a "congratulations"!  That is awesome that your sister and mother support you!!
    • Sarahnr1
      Im well aware that cali have been hit hard  and the restrictions  are  WAY tighter  then we  have over  here Katie  so i can understand   youre feelings  i would  too . BUT what i also said  was they WILL  get lighter  dear . And  Katie    you have  alredy  been thru the worst  part  its only a question of time  until  the  vaccination  and  the  situation have   improved. id  say  based  on what youre  predident  not to mention how  state  after state   are beginning to open up gradually ( The theme  parcs  seem to been granted to open up again , with restrictions  yes  but still thats   sign that   gradually as time  goes  and things  improve   the society WILL  open up my friend.   Would  you belive i wasent  even close  as  open and   able to meet  others  online   when i first  started  on the net  (forums  like this  and  others  )  ?   Youre WAY better then you think   my friend  all you need to gain some  self Confidents. The zoom calls  i presume is video talking  (ie   Skype etc....)  ?  Yeah i dont  do that  either   thats  not for  me . And thats OKEY  dear.   Katie   im diagnosed  with SEVERE Sucidal   so belive  me  i understand  you better then you might  think. And have been sucidal from i was a we girl.  And  STILL  here i am  talking to you . My life isent  worth diddley  (well before i met my partner  )  & i had  NOTHING left  to live for and all i could do was trying to make the best  of what life i got  left  on this earth  (natural way ) . And  low  and  behold  that one day this person came in to my life  and gave  me a reason to live and  gave me  the life i have searched  for  all my life  without ever finding  it.  What im trying to say here   is  DONT  GIVE UP  Katie  youre young   you have youre entire life ahead  of  you i dont  i have maybe 15  - 20 tops (us with my  diagnosis  usely leave  roughly 10 -15  years ahead  of  non  diagnosed ) & STILL  im right here  trying my best to do what i can with what life  throws at me to work with.  THATS  what you need to do as well  my young  friend.  Giving  up on life is NOT an option simple as that .     Well then you have way higher  education then me hon and i can guarntee  you you WILL  get job again  with youre backround   please. (im a  Ex long haul  truck driver  ) Yes  right now  things  have  gone down  i give you that BUT   when this is  over   they will be screaming for  workers as  you  to come to work hon.  And so what if youre no good  on online  interviews  im more then shore you are   in person and as i said  this  WILL end   and  there WILL be reel  job interviews again.  Again its  youre self  confidence  thats  down & needs to get a kick in the rear my friend  im shore that  youre more then capule  in this field.    The  main thing to ALWAYS keep in mind  here  is   DONT  give up on youre self  /youre life  Katie . You HAVE to keep fighting  towards  youre goals   in life  (it wont  be easy   it will take a lot  work from youre part  BUT  you CAN do this Katie  of this i have  0 doght.                                                                  
    • Myles97
      Thank you everyone for being along this journey with me so far. I really needed y’all here to help me process through the craziness that was this morning. I love you all so much, and I am finally feeling some relief and affirmation. I hope this continues and that my mom doesn’t regress. 
    • Transgirlkatie
      I don't think I can accept restrictions for another year, that's too much for me. I'm just not good enough at making friends online and zoom calls don't bring me joy. I don't want to kill myself, but it's pretty much the only way to end my pain. And then there's the fact that I won't recover financially till covid is over (I'm an it field service tech and Lyft driver), and I can't get a wfh job because I'm not good at job interviews especially over zoom
    • Jamie68
      Yeah, nobody in their right mind would choose to be like us. More like it chose us and we get to deal with it, like it or not.
    • Jamie68
      Could get awkward. Might want to check if they still fit.
    • AwesomeClaire
      Ok, don't give up, you'll find the right people eventually, it isn't easy for me either, it took me a while (years) to finally find some groups - I found local board game and book clubs (and they still offer these virtually) so I have met some great friends that way. My super close trans friend I met in another FB group, she posted and I saw some common interests and struck up a conversation, I can't believe how close we have become despite living 1,500 miles apart.
    • Tasha Marie
      @JandiWell doesn’t sound like fun for sure, but you survived. Lucky that’s good.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.