• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

VA transition timeline

I had my first official mental health eval on May 19, and I’m set for an Endocrinology appointment, via phone (thanks pandemic), on June 8th.

What comes next after that? When do I get referred for voice training and the rest? 

I realize I could probably wait and ask the doctor... but that’s 4 days away and I just want to hear accounts from others who’ve gone through the process with the V.A.

• Forum Moderator

Either Dr. needs to put in for the consult. then you will get a call from Physical therapy. (Speech) to get an appointment.

I had my Gyn, put in mine. She also put my consult for the endo, Which I had to go to Denver VA for. They may do a consult to the regional Transition team ( A team of experts that review your file and make suggestions on your course of treatment.)

The VA is the one place I feel the most comfortable and open at. They are totally accepting. You can even use the rest room of the sex you identify as, even if you are not presenting. I walk into the woman clinic and get asked, "How can we help you Ma'am."

I think that a lone male walking into the woman clinic, is most likely transgender.

Any problems with anybody while at the VA contact the LGBT coordinator, it is there job to make sure we the transgender veterans are treated with respect.

Kymmie

2 hours ago, KymmieL said:

Either Dr. needs to put in for the consult. then you will get a call from Physical therapy. (Speech) to get an appointment.

I had my Gyn, put in mine. She also put my consult for the endo, Which I had to go to Denver VA for. They may do a consult to the regional Transition team ( A team of experts that review your file and make suggestions on your course of treatment.)

The VA is the one place I feel the most comfortable and open at. They are totally accepting. You can even use the rest room of the sex you identify as, even if you are not presenting. I walk into the woman clinic and get asked, "How can we help you Ma'am."

I think that a lone male walking into the woman clinic, is most likely transgender.

Any problems with anybody while at the VA contact the LGBT coordinator, it is there job to make sure we the transgender veterans are treated with respect.

Kymmie

Oh crap...that's what that consult was? I got a letter stating they couldn't get me scheduled for physical therapy in a timely manner and I'd been referred for community care. But the referral expired 14 days from the date of the letter and I opened it on day 16 (I don't get out much, even to the mailbox). 

I assumed because it said physical therapy that it was for my spine/nerve issue for which I just postponed my MRI. 

Guess I'll contact the doctor tomorrow for a re-referral.

• Forum Moderator

You may just contact PT. they may still be able to act on it.

Kymmie

It occurred to me that my endo appointment being via phone makes new bloodwork impossible. How recent does bloodwork have to be?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Wichita, sorry it took me this long to respond.

I think it depends on the DR. but they can have you go in for blood work. The VA is still open. I got my blocker shot at the woman clinic, after picking it up via pharmacy curb side pick up. Just take a mask. They ask you some questions and give you a wrist band.

Kymmie

Yep, he wanted bloodwork. I went the following day to a much smaller and closer VA community clinic. The day after that, he called to say my levels were good to go. I had my prescriptions by Monday. I haven't begun them yet, due to a urology concern, for which new meds are on the way. I expect them by next week, along with finastride. Then the "E rollercoaster" begins.

• 3 months later...

I'm still trying to get the dots connected with community care and the VA.... Waiting for the psych paperwork to get to my civilian endocrinologist..... Uggghh!?!?!?!

My experience with the VA has always been positive.

I don't really know what is available though.  They do voice things?

Guess I thought HRT was it.

Of course with the 'Rona things might be on hold.

7 hours ago, Shawnster said:

I'm still trying to get the dots connected with community care and the VA.... Waiting for the psych paperwork to get to my civilian endocrinologist..... Uggghh!?!?!?!

I was... “was” going to a civilian urologist through the Choice program. Most of the meds he prescribed were “outside of the VA formulary” and thus, required paperwork from the doctor stating that I needed that specific drug before the VA would lift a finger to provide it. 

This paperwork has be delivered via time travel to the year 1995 as the VA pharmacy had one barely functional, always-busy fax machine. No e-mails allowed. If I were waiting for cardiac meds...I’d have died each and every time they prescribed something or tried to refill something. I easily went weeks with no meds multiple times while the VA awaited the same damned letter to arrive via 1995 fax machine.

After dealing with that for over a year, and after realizing the civilian doctor probably saw me as his kids’ college fund since the VA was footing the bill, I just went back to VA urology so that whatever they prescribed wouldn’t need an act of Congress to get provided to me. 

Of course VA urology had its own glaring issues, but at least whatever they prescribed me came reasonably quickly.

Hi, all.

I'm joining those whose VA experience has been positive. My first Rx of Estradiol arrived today, so I'm on Cloud 9. I'm in the VA Sierra Nevada Health Care System [Reno], and the Fallon, Nv. local clinic. My experience so far with VA transitioning services reflects others who appreciate the service they've recieved. I guess each regional VA system has a unit or "team" specializing in transition. I'm going MtF, so they gave me to an OB/GYN for the hormone treatment. I think I'll be getting a woman primary care doc soon, and a therapist with gender dysphoria and trans experience. [Reno VA has no "Gender Therapist" per se, but this system is small compared to most other VA regions.

Everyone's attitude is encouraging. Very professional, very accepting, very friendly, very thoughtful of us. With CV, I'm doing it all online [telecare, supposedly private. "Russia, if you're listening...."].

One caveat: All your treatment from VA goes onto a single gigantic "chart" in the belly of the confuser, and all the docs and nurses have access. So my meds list now includes "Estradiol," and I suppose the transition team's notes. But I decided, "screw it. Good place to start exiting the closet."

Take good care of yourselves, my friends.

~~Hugs all 'round, Lee~~

2 hours ago, Lee H said:

Everyone's attitude is encouraging. Very professional, very accepting, very friendly, very thoughtful of us. With CV, I'm doing it all online [telecare, supposedly private. "Russia, if you're listening...."].

One caveat: All your treatment from VA goes onto a single gigantic "chart" in the belly of the confuser, and all the docs and nurses have access. So my meds list now includes "Estradiol," and I suppose the transition team's notes. But I decided, "screw it. Good place to start exiting the closet."

As I've said my experience with the VA has been positive.  As for the 'single gigantic "chart'", when I went in for surgery (unrelated to any trans issues) they knew about my gender issues and respected me - addressed me as "Jandi" etc.

• Forum Moderator

Like I have stated before, the VA has been the most accepting place I have ever been. So far. With just about everything. Earlier this year when I saw my interim PCP. While the nurse referred to my by my given name. The Dr. as soon as she came in the room it was all Kymmie. (I think that the nurse just didn't read my chart. for my preferred name.) 

If anyone has any problems with any employee of the VA about any problem. just about all VA hospitals have a LGBTQ coordinator. Just get a hold of them and problem solved. The VA is serious about our care. I have only had one negative comment and that was from another vet. but he just said, must be don't ask don't tell. as he walked by. really no biggie. 

I highly suggest any Vet who is transgender to go to the VA. they will truly help.

Kymmie

• 4 months later...

I finally have an appointment with a VA endo..... March 17 blood work is in, letter if intent is in.... ready to start HRT!!!

• Forum Moderator

Happy St. Patrick's day!

Also happy second birthday. May your treatment be everything you hope it will be and more besides.

Hugs!

Thanks for the information.  I have my first appointment coming up and now I have an idea of what will happen.