• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What do i do with my hair?

My hair takes hours to dry, weather air dry or in a towel. it also gets stupidly knotted in water, so bad i can barely get my fingers through it, and then it stays that way for days. drying with a blow dryer makes it frizzy, drying with a towel makes it frizzy. brushing it with anything rips out tons of hair, and also makes it frizzy. im getting sick and tired of it and just want to cut it all off

all of the stuff online telling me how to get rid of knots or frizz are things that cause my knots or frizz

• Forum Moderator
42 minutes ago, Elle- said:

My hair takes hours to dry, weather air dry or in a towel. it also gets stupidly knotted in water, so bad i can barely get my fingers through it, and then it stays that way for days. drying with a blow dryer makes it frizzy, drying with a towel makes it frizzy. brushing it with anything rips out tons of hair, and also makes it frizzy. im getting sick and tired of it and just want to cut it all off

If I use a hair dryer on my hair it can sometimes get a little frizzy on the bottom 3 inches on the sides. I use low heat when I have time.  If I use higher heat to get the job done faster, it can cause some frizziness. I found a product that eliminates this issue really well. Trust me, I’ve tried many other products and I swear by this one BUT it’s not cheap. Sadly, I have not found a substitute in its ability to control frizz and give it some body.

Heres the product I use MOROCCANOIL FRIZZ CONTROL 3.4 OZ

Heres where to buy it.

45 minutes ago, Susan R said:

If I use a hair dryer on my hair it can sometimes get a little frizzy on the bottom 3 inches on the sides. I use low heat when I have time.  If I use higher heat to get the job done faster, it can cause some frizziness. I found a product that eliminates this issue really well. Trust me, I’ve tried many other products and I swear by this one BUT it’s not cheap. Sadly, I have not found a substitute in its ability to control frizz and give it some body.

Heres the product I use MOROCCANOIL FRIZZ CONTROL 3.4 OZ

Heres where to buy it.

i dont have the money for products like that, i dont have a job and likely wont for at least a year. i get money due to being unfit to work but its $600 and i barely have enough for cheap stuff after stuff i need.

• Forum Moderator

Yes @Elle-, I can understand your situation. I almost didn’t reply because imho, the cost is outrageous but it does work very well and that right there is the only reason I even mentioned it. Like you say...There are so many products that say they help with frizz but don’t.

For instance, I just tried another product John Freida Frizz Ease this last week which helped with the frizz a little but when it dried completely it held my hair far too well. It was thickest hairspray I had ever used and I do not use hairspray that much at all. I even tried using very little...same thing but less frizz control.  I’ll likely have it on the shelf a very long time.

• Forum Moderator
27 minutes ago, Elle- said:

@Susan R i guess ill see if my dad or someone else will be willing to buy it for me

Elle, Have you by chance talked to a hair salon about your needs?  Some have some amazing tricks to thin hair out a bit to reduce frizziness. I’m not talking about actual hair straightening or perms, I mean thinning or layering in a way to reduce this effect. They also might lead you to a product they sell for less than my suggestion or some other product entirely. I do realize with the covid lockdown, it may be awhile. But when they reopen, you might just call around first.

28 minutes ago, Susan R said:

Elle, Have you by chance talked to a hair salon about your needs?  Some have some amazing tricks to thin hair out a bit to reduce frizziness. I’m not talking about actual hair straightening or perms, I mean thinning or layering in a way to reduce this effect. They also might lead you to a product they sell for less than my suggestion or some other product entirely. I do realize with the covid lockdown, it may be awhile. But when they reopen, you might just call around first.

no i havent, i didnt even think of that but my city is open already so i can at least call some places tomorrow. thank you

I use Nancy boy styling cream for my hair, otherwise I can't deal with the Mediterranean Fro.

https://www.nancyboy.com/styling-cream/

Either that or use orangic coconut oil. You just have to be careful how much you use, cuz it's oil, and requires a good washing when rinsing.

6 hours ago, Susan R said:

For instance, I just tried another product John Freida Frizz Ease this last week which helped with the frizz a little but when it dried completely it held my hair far too well.

Back when I had long hair, this was my go to. There is also a cream version which works really well, but that is just about preference. I didn't even like brushing my hair, let alone taking care of it, but using this stuff I never had to touch it. Warning: use too much and your hair will be a literal helmet. As long as you use in moderation, it is cheap and effective.

@Mx.Drago thank you for the link and info.

Update: my friend messaged me and asked whats up and i told her how my hair keeps pissing me off, and she offered to help me out, so we are going to meet up at some point to teach me to braid my hair! i understand the method, but i struggle to hold all my hair in 3 separate strands while doing it, and ive never been able to practice on someone elses hair thats at an easier angle. while i knew my friends are progressive i for some reason didnt expect any of them to help me out or anything like that.

29 minutes ago, Elle- said:

@Mx.Drago thank you for the link and info.

Update: my friend messaged me and asked whats up and i told her how my hair keeps pissing me off, and she offered to help me out, so we are going to meet up at some point to teach me to braid my hair! i understand the method, but i struggle to hold all my hair in 3 separate strands while doing it, and ive never been able to practice on someone elses hair thats at an easier angle. while i knew my friends are progressive i for some reason didnt expect any of them to help me out or anything like that.

Np! I use to suck braiding my hair by myself but found using small hair clips, to braid my hair to help cuz it's easy to grab while keeping the strands separate. Then half way you remove them cuz you don't need them past a point.? Never fear asking questions and looking for help, the answers can surprise you in the best ways.

@A. Dillon thank you for the info. do you think most hair products are like that? (use too much or too little and it screws stuff up, like giving you a bullet proof helmet lol)

34 minutes ago, Mx.Drago said:

Np! I use to suck braiding my hair by myself but found using small hair clips, to braid my hair to help cuz it's easy to grab while keeping the strands separate. Then half way you remove them cuz you don't need them past a point.? Never fear asking questions and looking for help, the answers can surprise you in the best ways.

so put the clips near the top,(by my scalp), to hold it? also just so i know i understand, by clips you mean what are called barrettes right? unless there are other even better clips that idk about, which would be awesome too

50 minutes ago, Elle- said:

so put the clips near the top,(by my scalp), to hold it? also just so i know i understand, by clips you mean what are called barrettes right? unless there are other even better clips that idk about, which would be awesome too

You could use barrettes, just be careful. If your hair is fine and/or curly, it can get caught and hair will get pulled. I like small claw clamps and double prong clips. Depending on the braid is were you put the clips along the hair line. French braid being closer to the scalp then a regular braid which could be clamped at most halfway down the hair length. ?Your collection of hair clips and hair ties will increase.

• 10 months later...

I bought a fan for my daughter as she has very long  and thick hair. In the winter, we put the fan near the heater so it would get her very warm air. however now she  just uses the fan without the heater. It also helps her get good body to her hair.