• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Dull Shaving Razors

Elle-

So ive been shaving my face since i was like 13, and ive never been able to make a blade last more than 2 shaves. tried many different razors, disposable, expensive brand name, dollar shave club, etc. does anyone know how to keep them sharp for longer? (aside from getting a DE razor lol)

I use a double edge razor , AS-D2 all stainless steel handle model and their blades are very sharp. Surgically sharp, so it will last a bit before it starts catching and you'll need to replace. But I don't recommend it for everybody because it is very sharp blade wise. The handle is great and you can buy tons of packs of blades and store them.

Keeping your razor clean and dry after every use helps them stay sharper longer. Personally I favor a Shick razors, but not the disposable ones. Gillette is my least favorite of the cartridge razors. When I was in the Navy I used a straight razor. Best shave there is IF you keep them sharp. I recently started using a straight razor again that is until....any idea how much of a really bad decision it is to shave with a straight razor while on blood thinners and anti-coagulants? Don’t ask. I am back using my dependable Shick. But really, just keep it clean, dry and don’t leave it where it will wet.

I shave with a safety razor.  I have the kind where you put the thin, single edge blade into it.  The approach is very different than the multi-blade approach, which really isn't much better than the single edge.  The way i shave is a three pass system, which is ultimately easier on the skin, gives me a great close shave, and reduces the chances of razor burn.

I use warm water to warm my face before starting.  I use a good soap called Proraso, and a good badger-hair brush to apply the soap.  I warm the brush and the razor before touching my face with them.  I shave once with the grain of my beard, once across the grain, and once against the grain.  The key is a light touch, focusing on beard reduction with each pass, not beard removal.  I use a light touch with the razor, letting it do the work.  If i am not showering immediately after shaving, i use a Nivea after shave balm to make sure my skin is soothed and moisturized.  It takes a little longer, but now that i've been doing it this way for the last 5 years, it really doesn't take that much longer than the plastic handle ones.  Here is the best part, i paid like $8 US for 100 blades.  I get about 5 to 6 shaves out of a blade, so the cost is much less than cartridges and disposables, which are getting really expensive.

I invested in a $50 adjustable German safety razor when i started doing things this way.  It will probably last me the rest of my life and past.  So, if i have to pay $8 or so dollars every 600 shaves, i can totally live with that.  I only shave at most once every other day anyway, so a box of blades lasts litterally like 4+ years.  A tub of Proraso lasts me probably a year, and is about $20 USD.

Safety razors are rated for their aggressiveness.  The one i bought has adjustable aggressiveness.  Totally optional.  A good razor can cost about about $30, or you can get a cheap one for like $12.  I've paid $12 for a handle for cartridges that i couldn't find cartridges for a year later.

So, other than a straight razor, which i haven't been brave enough to try, you can't sharpen razor blades that i know of.  A straight razor can be kept sharp with a strap, and a hone.  My thought is to save money where you can.  I can shave for under 5 cents a shave U.S.  where if i were to shave with cartridges it would be like 55 cents.  Totally different.

• Forum Moderator

Thanks for the interesting, informative thread.  I never had anyone teach me about shaving, so I just mostly guess. 

My parents had split up and my father moved out before I needed to shave, so I got no help there.  My first experience that I can identify as dysphoria happened when my mother got me an electric shaver for Christmas.  I was probably 17.  It had actually never occurred to me that I would need to shave (*Ding ding*  That should have been a clue!), and the idea that I had to start was, well, dysphoric.  I always used an electric, much to the disgust of my drill sergeant in Basic Training.  ("Stand a little closer to the razor next time, mister!")  I only started using a bladed razor when I started transitioning, after realizing that my drill sergeant had been right.

I have been using 3-bladed disposable razors, but apparently I keep using them too long.  That might explain why there's one patch on my neck that I just can't get smooth.  Maybe I need to start using a safety razor and change the blades frequently.

• 4 weeks later...

having used my share of razors and the like since I was very young - my most positive results have come of combining the effects of a close-bladed electric razor, especially if it designed in general for use on body hair above and beyond your face - with a good multi-blade razor. Something that has always proved a pain in the southfarthing in my life is that I tend to get extremely coarse facial hair, which now that I am taking my first steps into and through a transition make it all the greater an irritant. I've found the best long term results for shaving in and of itself to have come from using a fairly resilient 5-blade razor, which I freely admit is not the most inexpensive device for a person to have, let alone need. Each pack of replacement blades comes with 5 of them, and I rotate each and every single time I need to get this confounded stuff from my face. I freely admit that my experience with razors is limited as it is - so I've shared what's worked best for me - and the solution was by no means either perfect or permanent.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 103 Guests (See full list)

• Petra Jane
    • SamC
    • MaryEllen
    • Heather Shay