• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I'm Wigging Out

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I have been in need of at least one, possibly two replacement wigs for months.  I was about to visit local wig salons before the lockdown hit.  Two months ago I decided to try online, given the uncertainty of wig store opening plans.  I found a wig that seemed nice, ordered it, and tried it on.  It was a no-go; not my style at all.  I sent it back and found a style closer to my current wigs, and ordered it.  The salon told me it was out of stock but couldn't order it unless I paid upfront.  I wasn't going to give them my money for some unknown period of time, and said "no thanks."

I found another wig company that had one I wanted.  It was also out of stock but I didn't have to pay anything for them to order it.  They told me it shouldn't take longer than two weeks.  A month later they said they could no longer tell me when it would arrive, but were hopeful for "a week or two."  I figured this was b.s., but still I wasn't out any cash, so I've kept my order alive.  I'm still waiting *taps foot*.

The take away here is that this isn't a great time to find wigs, unless you're lucky enough to find an open store with styles you like in stock.  The wig merchants told me that most wigs are made in Thailand and the supply chain is all bollixed up.  So good luck.  I'll let you know if, and when I get mine.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I’ve found buying wigs online is a lot like buying shoes online. You never know if it’ll look good on you and sometimes the sizing is way off. It’s definitely a crapshoot.

Ladies, you are both so right about purchasing wigs online.  It's a big crapshoot, as you say Susan.  I found a wig style online several years ago that was both a perfect fit and look for me.  Consequently, I went back and bought several more in slightly different colors.  However, I have a whole box of wigs in which my crapshoot didn't go so well.  There are even a couple in that box that I bought from salons, but after the styling eased, I could never get them to look as good as they did when I was sitting in the salon chair.  Wigs are hard!