• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

besides hrt any other tips on hair thinning

i start hrt soon and i have areas of hair thinning and wondered if there are any products, be it internal or external to help thickening and growrh 

Shay

• 1 month later...

Hi @Shay

Funny, I was interested in the topic too, and I started researching Propecia, which is basically Finasteride
https://www.rxlist.com/propecia-drug.htm

I'd heard about it years ago for stopping hair loss, and actually being able to grow back hair (for some).  And also saw it in the Forum here as sometimes used in HRT, since it is a T inhibitor.
Before I'd ever thought about transitioning I was not too happy about the side effects ... loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, breast growth ... BUT NOW, I am OK with those side effects as a positive side of HRT.

I would like find out if any other Members here have used Propecia for hair loss and what the results were, or if they ever used as part of their HRT.

I figure if it works for hair, even if I am not ready to go full HRT, it might be a good place to start the process (and hopefully get some hair growth back)/
Whad'ya think?

As part of my hrt I am on finasteride and hoping it helps with the thinning.

I'm using Finasteride too, but with not much effect. A recent article I read on it indicates it appears to be most effective for folks up to around age 40. 

Astrid

I know rogaine/finasteride/propecia has the challenge of actually making you lose  existing hair first for about two weeks and then helping it grow better from scratch. I wasn't willing to risk losing the length of the hair I had so... 

rogaine did nothing for me nor propecia - but as I am a month into HRT with Estradiol I am also on finasteride to help reduce T and I'm hoping for a hair growth bonus .. fingers crossed....

33 minutes ago, Shay said:

rogaine did nothing for me nor propecia

Thanks Heather Shay.  I am same with Rogaine but never tried Propecia.  Even though Propecia is finasteride maybe its at different dosage?  But really hoping you get some results on HRT... so I can hold out hope ??

• 1 month later...
Heather Nicole

Ahh, I've been wondering about this too (38, thinning, been receding in the corners for ages, a ponytail - much as I love them, usually just makes the thinning all the more obvious.) Had a feeling there would already be a topic here for this ;) Disappointing to hear a lack of any strong, promising answer, but not surprised. I asked my dr about it just the other day (she doesn't know I'm trans-questioning) and was given fairly sage advice: "You can certainly try Rogaine, but if there were anything that worked well, there wouldn't be so many bald/balding guys." Wise, perhaps, but still disappointing. Maybe the best thing is to just stop hesitating and just transition ASAP???

7 hours ago, Heathick said:

"You can certainly try Rogaine, but if there were anything that worked well, there wouldn't be so many bald/balding guys."

I've been using Rogaine for about 10-12 years.  It has not re-grown any hair, but I do believe it has slowed hair loss, because I still have about 50% coverage, when based on family history I should be bald as a cue ball.

Heather Nicole
6 hours ago, KayC said:

I've been using Rogaine for about 10-12 years.  It has not re-grown any hair, but I do believe it has slowed hair loss, because I still have about 50% coverage, when based on family history I should be bald as a cue ball.

That's a good point. A chance of slowing or stopping hair loss is better than a guarantee of continued loss!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

• Flowers
    • AwesomeClaire
    • Transgirlkatie
    • Jackie C.
    • claire1000
    • Carly57
    • VickySGV
    • Delcina B
    • ValerieRun
    • Aurora
    • Emily Michele
    • Petra Jane
    • Drayse
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

jlivingston
    Newest Member
    jlivingston

1. emily the wolf
      emily the wolf
      (16 years old)
    2. Fai
      Fai
    3. Iberianwolf12
      Iberianwolf12
    4. VSS-Rosa
      VSS-Rosa
      (22 years old)
    • VickySGV
      @Transgirlkatie  This is the most excellent take on life for any of us in these times.  Look out and see what you can do for OTHERS, it is a big step and scary at first, but it does so much for our own outlook on life.
    • Flowers
      Hi there. I have a really hard time talking so this seems huge to me. I want to be intimate with my transitioning wife and have sex but I am so awkward at initiating anything. My trans wife feels like I don't like having sex with her but It's not that. It's that I've never been the one to initiate sex, and I'm bad at it and self conscious. She used to initiate it more and I'm experiencing performance anxiety where I never used to experience that because I was never initiating or taking the lead.  I want to express how much I love but I keep end up making her feel bad with my awkwardness and I get more and more self conscious about sex. If you have any advice or similar feelings please feel free to respond:)
    • Delcina B
      Hugs for you Katie! I'm not in your shoes, but we're all wearing the 6 inch heels called COVID. It's depressing sometimes to keep up the safety measures. I used to deal with depression differently than now. These days when I catch myself feeling down I look around at my family or online & see if there's someone I can help out. Even if it's in some small way, it might just make their day better. I definitely feel better when I don't focus on me & my troubles.   Another hug, Delcina
    • LusciousTheLock
      Congratulations!  Good work  
    • KathyLauren
      Someone else with a Zook.  My ride, back in the day, was a Suzuki GT380.  The GT series were two-strokes, so it had credible power for highway riding.  I did a few long vacation trips on it.  But motorcycles are for young folks.  I sold it a long time ago.
    • KathyLauren
      Wow!  I was all set to post a "fingers crossed" message as I caught up on the posts.  But now I get to post a "congratulations"!  That is awesome that your sister and mother support you!!
    • Sarahnr1
      Im well aware that cali have been hit hard  and the restrictions  are  WAY tighter  then we  have over  here Katie  so i can understand   youre feelings  i would  too . BUT what i also said  was they WILL  get lighter  dear . And  Katie    you have  alredy  been thru the worst  part  its only a question of time  until  the  vaccination  and  the  situation have   improved. id  say  based  on what youre  predident  not to mention how  state  after state   are beginning to open up gradually ( The theme  parcs  seem to been granted to open up again , with restrictions  yes  but still thats   sign that   gradually as time  goes  and things  improve   the society WILL  open up my friend.   Would  you belive i wasent  even close  as  open and   able to meet  others  online   when i first  started  on the net  (forums  like this  and  others  )  ?   Youre WAY better then you think   my friend  all you need to gain some  self Confidents. The zoom calls  i presume is video talking  (ie   Skype etc....)  ?  Yeah i dont  do that  either   thats  not for  me . And thats OKEY  dear.   Katie   im diagnosed  with SEVERE Sucidal   so belive  me  i understand  you better then you might  think. And have been sucidal from i was a we girl.  And  STILL  here i am  talking to you . My life isent  worth diddley  (well before i met my partner  )  & i had  NOTHING left  to live for and all i could do was trying to make the best  of what life i got  left  on this earth  (natural way ) . And  low  and  behold  that one day this person came in to my life  and gave  me a reason to live and  gave me  the life i have searched  for  all my life  without ever finding  it.  What im trying to say here   is  DONT  GIVE UP  Katie  youre young   you have youre entire life ahead  of  you i dont  i have maybe 15  - 20 tops (us with my  diagnosis  usely leave  roughly 10 -15  years ahead  of  non  diagnosed ) & STILL  im right here  trying my best to do what i can with what life  throws at me to work with.  THATS  what you need to do as well  my young  friend.  Giving  up on life is NOT an option simple as that .     Well then you have way higher  education then me hon and i can guarntee  you you WILL  get job again  with youre backround   please. (im a  Ex long haul  truck driver  ) Yes  right now  things  have  gone down  i give you that BUT   when this is  over   they will be screaming for  workers as  you  to come to work hon.  And so what if youre no good  on online  interviews  im more then shore you are   in person and as i said  this  WILL end   and  there WILL be reel  job interviews again.  Again its  youre self  confidence  thats  down & needs to get a kick in the rear my friend  im shore that  youre more then capule  in this field.    The  main thing to ALWAYS keep in mind  here  is   DONT  give up on youre self  /youre life  Katie . You HAVE to keep fighting  towards  youre goals   in life  (it wont  be easy   it will take a lot  work from youre part  BUT  you CAN do this Katie  of this i have  0 doght.                                                                  
    • Myles97
      Thank you everyone for being along this journey with me so far. I really needed y’all here to help me process through the craziness that was this morning. I love you all so much, and I am finally feeling some relief and affirmation. I hope this continues and that my mom doesn’t regress. 
    • Transgirlkatie
      I don't think I can accept restrictions for another year, that's too much for me. I'm just not good enough at making friends online and zoom calls don't bring me joy. I don't want to kill myself, but it's pretty much the only way to end my pain. And then there's the fact that I won't recover financially till covid is over (I'm an it field service tech and Lyft driver), and I can't get a wfh job because I'm not good at job interviews especially over zoom
    • Jamie68
      Yeah, nobody in their right mind would choose to be like us. More like it chose us and we get to deal with it, like it or not.
    • Jamie68
      Could get awkward. Might want to check if they still fit.
    • AwesomeClaire
      Ok, don't give up, you'll find the right people eventually, it isn't easy for me either, it took me a while (years) to finally find some groups - I found local board game and book clubs (and they still offer these virtually) so I have met some great friends that way. My super close trans friend I met in another FB group, she posted and I saw some common interests and struck up a conversation, I can't believe how close we have become despite living 1,500 miles apart.
    • Tasha Marie
      @JandiWell doesn’t sound like fun for sure, but you survived. Lucky that’s good.
    • Jackie C.
      Cute! I really need to wear earrings (studs probably) more often.   Of course first I need my ears pierced.   Hugs!
    • Charlize
      That is fantastic.  Take that well earned deep breath and relax.  Time may bring changes as everyone gets through your revelation but you have made a big step and deserve a bit of rest.  Fantastic!   Hugs,   Charlize

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.