• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

how many of you are musicians

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

showed your other amp to our guitarists and they loved it. here are a few more photos of one of Collin's homemade with Hammond stuff in it. I'm not knowledgable about amps when he tells me about what's in them and why - all I know is the amps sound great....

collin amp 3.jpg

collin amp 2.jpg

collin amp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heather Shay

• Teri Anne

• Robin.C

• Maddee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought that looked a lot like a Matchless cabinet.

Had a few Matchless amps I bought cheap because they were not working really old and well used. They still sold for way more than I paid for them.

Traded for a DR Z Maz 18  and DrZ carman ghia model once and moved them on down the line to people that love those. I'm not a fan of the DR Z stuff.

I have had so much gear over the years and had one bedroom full of amps and cabinets.

Here are two I really used a lot.

A Jackson 50 watt full stack and a Marshal 2204 full stack.

Part of my Jackson guitars as well.

027 (334x500).jpg

Down to about 16 guitars and 5 amps these days .

Nice to have the spare bedroom back where I can work on stuff if I need to.

• Forum Moderator

omgosh sweet looking guitars and amps.  When they opened a Marshall's store here a guitar friend told me he went there and didn't see one amp....LOL

• Forum Moderator

Whoa I bet there are sweet sounds emanating from those beauties.  

Back when I was buying selling and trading vintage guitars there were times I had approx 150 guitars and 75 to 80 vintage amps in stock at all times.

My personal collection was about 100 guitars total and 10 amps.

I used to do guitar shows in Kentucky, Ohio, Tenn and Virginia on a regular basis.

I still get calls and e mails from some big name artists and collectors and broker deals if they are looking for certain guitars. Nice to have contacts.

• Forum Moderator

Wow that is so cool are you still doing the deals?

I have brokered  several deals this year but its been kind of slow.

My guitar tech and repair work has been pretty busy.

I just noticed this topic!

I play trumpet as a hobby, and have a collection of over 50 trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns (many of which I had restored, and a few custom built).  I also have a couple digital keyboards and a nice Epiphone Emperor archtop guitar from around 1952.

I'm into mainstream jazz in a big way.  Incidentally, there is a famous professional jazz bassist who is a transwoman.  Her name is Jennifer Leitham; she has a website, as well as a number of videos on YouTube.

Post a pic of the emperor Arch top please.

I have had several 1940s and 50s epiphone acoustic guitars in the past.

Recently re fretted  a 1946  Epiphone Blackstone arch top for a collector. Really nice guitar.

• Forum Moderator

@Jacqui never have I seen horns that had such beautiful designs and craftsmanship. I would love?to know how each is used and would love to hear what each sounds like. Any way you could treat us with a photo with mp3 of each?

• Forum Moderator

Beautiful horns @Jacqui.  

I checked out Jennifer Leitham's website.  There was a link to an interview and a 5:00m video.  She's a strong voice for transgender musicians.  She's a Bassist and a Leftie.

https://nowthisnews.com/videos/politics/musician-gives-insight-into-being-transgender-in-jazz

Jani

@Jacquithose horns really are beautiful.  I've got an antique coronet and alto horn that could do for being restored, but haven't gotten around to it.  I don't actually play either so I'd have to learn.

• Forum Moderator

Gosh @Jani....how many left handed bass playing trans folks are we - I count at least 4

• Forum Moderator
16 hours ago, Jacqui said:

Here are some of my prettier horns

Those are beautiful, not only am NOT a musician. I've been asked by Preachers NOT TO SING. I'm a good fan of music and love to dance.

Mindy???

Thanks to all of you for the kind words about my brass instruments!

16 hours ago, Teri Anne said:

Post a pic of the emperor Arch top please.

Here you go, @Teri Anne . . .

IMG_9108a.thumb.jpg.af4503b5478700fee28701f52fdfa106.jpg

IMG_9109a.thumb.jpg.53bcb3875084723b283a2a4c4d8a1f10.jpg

I bought this from Gruhn Guitars in Nashville about 25 years ago and had it restored by a well-known luthier near where I live.  It was a retired pro musician's ax, and it had an awful iced-tea-colored sunburst refinish along with a crude white plastic non-stock pickguard.  I have always liked blonde guitars, and happily the luthier was able to strip the finish and apply new nitrocellulose lacquer for authenticity (he had the right equipment and facilities to meet EPA regulations regarding nitrocellulose).  He also got a repro Emperor pickguard.

9 hours ago, Shay said:

@Jacqui never have I seen horns that had such beautiful designs and craftsmanship. I would love?to know how each is used and would love to hear what each sounds like. Any way you could treat us with a photo with mp3 of each?

@Shay, picture 1 is of a mid-30's Buescher flugelhorn (rare as hen's teeth), picture 2 shows a York Airflow cornet (unique tubing configuration) and a York Feather Touch Master cornet (unique valve actuation -- springs stretch rather than compress when you press the valve buttons), picture 3 is of a custom-made circular flugelhorn, and the fourth picture shows two pocket cornets -- a Holton C150 (based on a turn of the 20th century Distin "Baby" cornet played by a famous circus cornetist), and a 'Caduceus' custom-made (loosely-based on a 1900 German design -- the tubing wraps around the valve block like the snakes in the medical symbol).

They all can be used in symphony orchestras, brass bands, jazz bands, small combos, etc. The flugelhorns have a mellower, darker sound and are used as an alternative by trumpet players when a darker sound is appropriate or desired.  Despite their different appearances, they don't really have different specialized purposes.  However, professional trumpet players in symphony orchestras typically have trumpets in several different keys (B-flat, C, E-flat, piccolo trumpet in B-flat and A, etc.).  These do have specialized purposes depending on what characteristics and key are best for the piece to be played.  Almost all my horns are in B-flat (meaning that when you play an open "C" on the horn, it is actually a concert B-flat).

The "pocket" instruments are actually more or less novelty items -- they can be played, but typically they have deficits (inconsistent intonation, for example) compared a standard horn.

There are tons of videos on YouTube showing trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns being played.  Just search for the desired instrument.  I am disinclined to demonstrate them myself via mp3 because:

1. I have been so down emotionally that I haven't practiced in months.
  2. I might have to sell a large part of my collection depending on where my transgendered state takes me (and costs me), and this makes me sad.
  3. More sadness -- if at some point I get FFS, I will get a lip lift and possibly some form of inserts and that might severely affect my ability to play.  (I don't care, though.  If I get FFS, I'm gonna have thick, pouty, ****-****in' lips, dammit!)

Thick pouty lips dammit!

Beautiful instruments Jacqui.

Is it possible that you'll come back around to playing?  You know, how things cycle back around?  

Hope you can manage to hang on to one or two.

I'm considering selling my stuff.  Not sure what to let go of.

I have 2 each electric, acoustic and bass guitars.  And 2 portable multi use amp rigs and 2 mics.  Basically I've got a main and a back up for every gig I was doing.

Mostly playing for the cats around here these days.  Could turn some of this into $... 

But if it's not going to bring me enough  to pay for something, then I'm better off hanging on. 

Still fairly certain I'm getting back into it.

Someday.

1st world problems :)

2020-08-23 16.07.21.jpg

2020-08-23 16.10.23.jpg

• Forum Moderator

@Ms Maddie. I sold a bunch of musical instruments on Reverb website and a and. Hamer on eBay. Anything I didn't use for my home studio or gigs I sold including direct boxes, effects and my old HD24 Alexis. Did ok. Might as well get what you can for things not doing you any good.

@Teri Anne amazing stuff you know and have talent doing. You have given me a wonderful education and a lot of excellent information.

@Jacqui love you being here and sharing you sweet instruments. Would love to hear you play.

• Forum Moderator

It's hard only reason I did was I got my custom Taylor guitar and hated the Martin. Never used the Gamer and the other stuff never used. Kept my babies.

Those look too sweet to let go unless you have ones you treasure more and can let these finance things you want.

• Forum Moderator

Nice collection. If you can part with any it might help with expenses but not your sweetest and most precious babies... The ones you can't part with. After my gear I didn't need I started selling comics I've had for 50 years. It was hard but I know I am using the money to be the me I'm supposed to be and as you know...it ain't cheap. Good luck and I know it's hard to part with your most precious companions.

Hugs

Shay