• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

how many of you are musicians

Heather Shay

14 hours ago, Shay said:

May this year give us a new Neil Peart.

Hardly, though it's good to dream ?

14 hours ago, Maddee said:

Ambidexterity is not a particularly simple word.

It is also not a simple technique to learn ?

The difficult part has been all the things to learn. Partly to play and also the setup.

I'm using a Glyn Jones microphone setup which is particularly awkward since the silentstroke heads have nowhere near the sound output of std heads so it makes getting recording levels tricky to say the least. I've got it to a point I can hear myself play and overlay a click track to play to so happy with it while I learn.

Hugs

Robin

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heather Shay

• Teri Anne

• Robin.C

• Maddee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator

Flynn John's 2 overheads,  snare/highhat and kick.  Still the best overall sound. Good choice. 

• 1 month later...

Slowly adding gear to my setup. Got these old but nice cymbals from Ebay. I wasn't going to buy any proper cymbals until I had gotten a wee bit better on the drumming, but these were too good a price to scroll past ?

Then added a snare drum mic, it's cheap but it does the job at the moment.

Rock on people.

Hugs

Robyn

Hi_Hats_TP.jpg

Snare_Mic_TP.jpg

Hey, I just saw this thread. Haven't had a chance to do more than glance at it yet, but yes I'm a musician. Been playing guitar and writing songs since I was 15 (now 47). Been in a few bands, none you would know. Got into recording in 2003 via a Tascam digital 8-track (had dabbled with analog 4-tracks before). In 2015 I got my first decent laptop with recording software (Reaper), plus some entry-level hardware. Started recording an album I still haven't finished. Recorded a bunch of other stuff along the way, while slowly upgrading my set-up. Discovered software-synthesisers about a year ago, been programming electronic and ambient music ever since. Bought my first decent mic last year too (a Shure SM-7B), and this year I bought a Reverend Reeves Gabriel electric guitar (it's still in freight from Germany) to augment my US Fender Telecaster. Obsessed with production. My favourite music YouTuber is Gregory Scott from Kush After Hours: he's a self-taught producer, musician and digital-effects designer with a Zen approach to engineering that always makes me think. My favourite software synths are U-he and my favourite effects are Soundtoys. I love everything from the Stones and AC/DC to the Stooges, Joy Division, Slint and My Bloody Valentine, but these days I mostly listen to electronica. Trying to combine guitars and synths in a way I haven't heard before.

I'll read the thread!

• Forum Moderator

@Betty K would love to hear your songs. I have been writing and recording for 40 plus years and 4 of us here have been writing and recording via drop box for 6 months. Talented ladies. I sing lead and harmonies and guitar and drum via ezdrummer and keys via ezkeys. We have a phenomenal bass player and a multi instrumentalist and drummer.

• Forum Moderator

@Robin.C yes - love that you are working up your set - Sabians - cool - love the Gynn Johns mic set up.

17 hours ago, Shay said:

would love to hear your songs.

Hi Shay, nice to meet you. Linking my songs is going to involve outing myself, so I'll PM you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, February is cymbal month .. picked a 20" ride and 16" crash to add to my growing set. It has slow going since Christmas the Summer heat and car blues have meant things aren't as rosy as they could be.

Transition doesn't mean life stops, it means how I react to it changes, less anger means being able to just get on with what needs doing. Maybe a cry though.

So anyhows here is the fun stuff. It oddly satisfying to hit the drums after a difficult day.

I'm still looking for a nice 18" crash. Maybe a splash and china but at the moment they aren't really needed.

Hugs

Robin

Cymbals for TP.jpg

thank you @Teri Anne. it is a slow process going through ebay and gumtree (australia's sort of craiglist - is that right?)

i is still trying to figure out what drumheads to get next.

following along to youtube tutorials is both fun and frustrating as i'm still rubbish at getting it all proper like ?

Hugs

Robin

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I play both bassoon and oboe. Bassoon is my main instrument, but I still occasionally play and teach oboe. I also remember a bit of clarinet and sax, but I haven't done much with either of them in decades. Most groups have a sea of available clarinet players but can seldom find oboists or bassoonists. Prior to covid I would make several trips per year to go sub with groups in California that needed a bassoonist.

I also dabble with guitar, drums, and piano. I recently obtained a drum set and outfitted it with Remo mesh heads and Zildjan LV80 cymbals so I can practice at reduced volume. I am scarcely a pianist by any definition, mainly I use my keyboard as a tool for composing and arranging. When I have a bit of extra budget money, I would love to get a bocal pickup that will allow me to play my bassoon through my guitar amp. I have visions of plugging into my 100W Marshall with a remote volume switch and having the speaker cab positioned somewhere behind the orchestra's brass section.

• Forum Moderator

@Sofia Falti wow wonderful selection and obvious talent. Several of us write and record via drop box with a wonderful engineer and mixer. Would love to hear some of your music 

12 hours ago, Sofia Falti said:

I recently obtained a drum set and outfitted it with Remo mesh heads and Zildjan LV80 cymbals so I can practice at reduced volume

These are so wonderful for quiet practice. I've been playing around with tape on the heads to improve the feel and tone, it does change two of the Toms the other not so much. The cymbals really change their character with some tape (my low volume cymbals are cheap Aliexpress ones). One day I'll figure out how to play it any gooderer ?

Hugs

Robin

• 1 month later...

Soooo ... last month I took the plunge and started drum lessons.

Yep like I need more things to worry about ?

Next week will be start of term two and to be honest I'm seeing a slight improvement in what's termed limb independence.

As well as learning to read music and understanding all the myriad of terms that go along with that. Drum notation is a lot easier than other music notation ? to read and understand. But some of the standard music notations are used which makes it all that much more fun.

Oh nearly forgot to tell you all that I got hold of a good secondhand Sabian 18" Metal Crash. It's got an awesome sound and complements the other cymbals. Buying them one at a time and from different lines can always be a bit worrying that they won't be in tune with each other. I seem to have been lucky and they do all sound good together.

I guess need I'll need to find nice China and Splash. Though I'd really like a Chad Reed Holey China which are so nice, though so expensive ..lol  ... Rock on .. hee hee

I hope everyone is having fun as well.

Hugs

Robin

I am so glad things are improving with practice.

Used gear is the way to go IMO because it gives you your own unique sound as a complete kit.

I keep different speaker cabs around to get different flavors out of the amps I have. Its good to have variety.

• Forum Moderator

@Robin.C I'm so glad you are working on something you obviously love and it shows. I never learned reading music although I can do it to a slight degree. Drums - I admire anyone who can actually have arms and legs doing 4 different things at the same time.

@Teri Anne tones and textures are so important in music and I admire anyone with the ability and ears to know how to get those tones and sounds.

Learning to read music is something I tried but never actually grasped it. I do understand  basic modes and timing but no way I could read them on paper.

Guitar tab well I get the idea  but tabs in books or online never seem to match the actual song as played by the original artist.

I always played by ear and watching the artist as they play or listening to the albums or CDs.

• Forum Moderator

@Teri Anne Your are 100% right when it comes to guitar tabs, lyrics, chords - etc. on-line so often they aren't right and several times aren't even close..... argggggggggggggg.

Oh no, don't say that. I'll live in fear I'm playing the wrong stuff .. lol

Though most of the songs i want to learn are pretty well known.

I've never been able to play by ear, i never understood what i was listening too.

Now its beginning to make sense and find i can pick out things in songs now, though it's still a bit difficult due to some hearing loss due to having been a machinist and car person for all my life ?

Hugs

Robin

• 3 months later...

And the saga continues. Picked up another couple of cymbals.

A nice 17" Stage Crash and some 13" Studio Hi-hats. Hopefully one day my new bass drum pedals will arrive.

I finally got around to getting the parts to restore my 13" Ludwig Rockers (new hoops, tension rods, etc).

And after all this time I finally put my money down on some new drumskins.

A sweet set of clear Evans GC1s for the reso side and coated Evans GC2s for the batter side.

I'm still rubbish at actually playing the drums, though I haven't given up ?

Hugs

Robin

Even More Sabian.jpg