• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Career change

Emily michelle

My wife and I had a discussion and she thinks I need to think about a career change to get out of such a male dominated field. I’m a heavy equipment mechanic and I travel around to several surface and underground mines. I enjoy being a mechanic but it is a male dominated field with out much acceptance of cis women let alone trans women. In all honesty I think she is right but it scares me to death because I don’t think I’m capable of going back to school or that I could afford it. I really don’t know what I could do if I did change.  Or even find a job making what I make now. My wife mentioned me being a nurse which I could see myself doing, but I don’t think I’m smart enough for it. If I do change it would have to be something that I don’t sit at a desk. Has anyone else ever had thoughts about this?

• Forum Moderator

Emily,

I too am in a mostly male dominated career. I am an assistant manager at Oreilly. I have thought of other careers. however I come back to one I am at now. Even when I looked in Portland, OR. I was looking parts. Biggest thing for me. I want to get away from the public, retail. I've been in the public at most of my jobs since I left the service. I just want to be in the back ground. The position I was offered in Portland was shipping and receiving at a Ford dealership. The manager has an immediate need and with me starting Sept 1 didn't work out. 

I went back to school in 2006 when I was 45. The VA paid for me to go to Wyotech. Here in Laramie. I took collision and refinishing. I work that career for about a year. Before I went to Wally world.

With your knowledge you could look at a dealership. Maybe dispatcher for mobile service. parts. Maybe in the company you are working now.

Kymmie

I could see staying in that career being difficult. Do you have a college degree or have you taken any college classes? With a background working in mines you may be able to get a job in a geological field with minor additional schooling. You may also be able to take courses at a community college to save money. Other areas of geology tend to be more accepting, but that could also depend on where you live. If you are going to go back to school I'd try to find something you enjoy or that you at least have a good background in. I will say environmental studies tend to be fairly accepting and experience with mines could count as experience towards environmental jobs too. Other than those, retail or the food industry or entry level things like that would work. I've heard Starbucks has pretty good health care plans for trans people.

I would actually like to phase myself out of turning a wrench every day into more of a coordinator or I did look into parts. I thought about that before transition was even possible for me just because I don’t want to be 60 and still killing my self working on equipment. I’m 33 so I guess I’m still young enough.

I have an associate degree in heavy equipment maintenance but at that time I absolutely hated school to the point I would skip school to go to work. That is a good idea I never really thought about going into anything environmental or geological we do have a very good university in my state that actually has a program for mine development. My problem is even thinking of a career change scares me just because I feel like all I know how to do is be a mechanic weather I enjoy it or not. It’s all I have ever known. But I guess the unknown is always scary.

• Forum Moderator

@Emily michelle I can understand your situation.  Back in the day I was an auto mechanic at a higher end dealership.  I had also turned wrenches in the Navy.  This was long before I came to see the real me.  But I did see that I didn't want to be doing this job when I was older as it could be physical at times, not to mention the trend towards electronics.  I had some college under my belt so I went back and eventually went into logistics where I had a great career.  We are all different but I would think about going back to school for a BA in business management (for example) as it would allow you to move into a collateral field to heavy equipment maintenance.  Once you are there are moving through the program you might have your interest piqued by something else.  I was originally an accounting major before I switched, although I did get an AS in accounting which oddly ended up helping me immensely.  All my best to you.     

My wife also mentioned becoming a dental hygienist which I don’t see a problem with I’m just scared because wrenching is all I know. I do agree with her I should look into doing something else I just don’t know what lol. I have time I just need to start looking and figure out what I would enjoy. I’m kind of burnt out on being a mechanic and that was pretty much my fault because my way of coping before was drowning myself in work and now I’m at a point I don’t enjoy it.

@Emily michelle

I have been a Nurse for 8 years now. Working in the Medical Field is wonderful. I will say many Healthcare Organizations value the Diversity and Inclusivity Especially with the LGTB+ community. I myself don’t really find myself involved in LGTB stuff, but have grown to love the aspect of how I have such supportive and interested coworkers. 

As far as if you’re ‘smart enough’. Don’t weigh intelligence too much. I work along side many Nurses that dropped out of high school and college multiple times before ever finishing nursing school. Look at different career paths within Healthcare, you won’t regret it!

Kylie

23 minutes ago, Kylie said:

@Emily michelle

I have been a Nurse for 8 years now. Working in the Medical Field is wonderful. I will say many Healthcare Organizations value the Diversity and Inclusivity Especially with the LGTB+ community. I myself don’t really find myself involved in LGTB stuff, but have grown to love the aspect of how I have such supportive and interested coworkers. 

As far as if you’re ‘smart enough’. Don’t weigh intelligence too much. I work along side many Nurses that dropped out of high school and college multiple times before ever finishing nursing school. Look at different career paths within Healthcare, you won’t regret it!

Kylie

I’m considering health care both of my parents are retired from health care. My wife also mentioned nursing school. That’s awesome that people are that accepting in that field. I wish my current profession was more accepting but I don’t see that happening. If you don’t mind me asking Kylie what kind of nursing are you in?

@Emily michelle I work in a Medical Intensive Care Unit. I have my Masters in Nursing Education and am finishing up Practitioner school currently and going into Advanced Practice with Critical Care/Cardiology at some point. 

26 minutes ago, Kylie said:

@Emily michelle I work in a Medical Intensive Care Unit. I have my Masters in Nursing Education and am finishing up Practitioner school currently and going into Advanced Practice with Critical Care/Cardiology at some point. 

Oh ok wow you have a tough job being in an icu. I’m fairly familiar with nursing because my mom was a nurse for 40 years.

Super cool. I think Nursing is definitely one of the top careers because you have such vast options on where and what type you do. 

38 minutes ago, Kylie said:

As far as if you’re ‘smart enough’. Don’t weigh intelligence too much.

I agree with this. Being "smart" is such a relative thing and I think a lot of times it has to do with the quality of the teachers. If teachers aren't engaging and excited about what they teach then learning the material is going to suck and you won't do as well in courses. There are also people who are know a lot, but they are just bad at testing. People who are bad at testing because of test anxiety or dyslexia or other similar issues can get testing accommodations at universities.

What I've learned about teaching is if the teacher can't explain the course material to a seven year old, they are probably not a good teacher. Obviously this may not be the case for quantum mechanics or some areas of neuroscience or philosophy, but if a teacher makes you feel stupid, it's probably their fault. I personally don't think there are stupid people, just people who had bad teachers.

I’m considering it more and more. I guess I really need to talk to someone and see what area I would like best.

I have to agree with you S.L. I think a lot of my dislike of school was that I had some bad teachers that had really put a bad taste in my mouth about going to school.

• Forum Moderator

Sometimes it may be that you didn't "get into" the school work because you were unsure of your goals.  When I went back to night school I was invigorated and found that other students I interacted with were equally committed to learning.  If you go back with a serious goal in mind you may be surprised how much you enjoy it.

Well I made my first step in this new journey I filled out an information request form for a nursing school near me 

That is wonderful news!! The welcoming environment of nursing/healthcare would be pleased to have you!

• Forum Moderator

Wonderful News Emily!!  I hope it works out for you and you find your new passion!

• Forum Moderator

Sounds like a wonderful career choice, Emily. Even if you did decide later to choose a different career, just getting into the mindset of change is a good thing in your situation. I hope you enjoy whatever path you choose. I’m sure you will.

Best of Luck,

Susan R?

Thank you everyone for the replies. I heard back from another school and I’m going to look at their program more I’m hoping I can go to school at night. The other thing I thought of I wouldn’t have to beat my body up near as much being a nurse and it’s a climate controlled environment lol.

• Forum Moderator

Plus no longer having to clean grease out from under your nails.

Congrats, Emily. I wish you luck in your new career.

Kymmie

10 hours ago, KymmieL said:

Plus no longer having to clean grease out from under your nails.

Congrats, Emily. I wish you luck in your new career.

Kymmie

That drives me nuts cleaning grease out. Not having to take a bath in gear or hydraulic oil would be nice to haha. I would miss the company truck though 

On 8/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, Emily michelle said:

I filled out an information request form for a nursing school near me 

Congratulations, Emily! on your commitment to self improvement and the opportunity for compassionate service to your fellow human beings.

You've made a great choice.  Now, go and get it❣️