• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

24 Hours...here it goes! GCS Thread

Kylie

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Kylie said:

The last thing, the OMG can’t believe this is definitely the smell from the slough tissue. I can not even describe the smell. Despite following everything to a strict T from my surgeon - that smell is something else. I did notice the slough tissue is trying to detach itself and is starting to dry up some, hoping sooner than later. I have to do a Summer Eve water/vinegar *cleanse* this afternoon after I dilate so I hope that speeds up the ‘let go’ of this yellow disaster. 

This is important. Between the smell and the way the slough tissue FEELS... just, ew. I'm sorry you had to deal with that @Kylie. So gross. I lost a hunk down around my vaginal opening and a smaller bit around my urethra. It smelled SO much better once that stuff was gone.

Hugs!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kylie

• Jackie C.

• Heather Shay

• Susan R

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So glad to report: slough tissue is pretty much all gone. Things look like they are making BIG progress. Hopefully this will continue. ❤️

• 2 weeks later...

WEEK 5

Ill start off saying this recovery has shown me I am capable of anything in this life. If I come out recovered, healed and back to pre-op activity - I’ll make it as a win. 

Over the last two weeks my biggest issue has been each morning around 5am waking up in extreme discomfort. I always go pee; and of course leave a toilet bowl full of blood. Surgeon says it is from being in bed all night any bleeding I’m having just sits in my canal awaiting me to let it out, so she believes that is why I have such discomfort. Definitely isn’t the highlight of my day because that first dilation too is typically a bit bloody. But, I sit and remember this is the process I must go through to enjoy a higher quality of life. 

Other than that, things seem to be healing right along. Many of my sutures have dissolved and I’m noticing very minimally scarring already, which is one plus! My wound that separated has been healing along very nicely. Hopefully in the next couple weeks it will look better in terms of healing. Aesthetics can come later.

All in all, just taking it day by day..still living the bed rest life per myself Doctor. Hoping at our next phone discussion in 2 weeks she lets me move a lot more other than the typical things I get out of bed for. Still extremely sore, but that and walking around my house is getting easier each day. I see the GYN for the first time the end of this month, so not sure if I’m excited or not about that yet! Do have a little granulation tissue near my clitoris that needs to be hit with some silver nitrate. She hasn’t had a post-op trans patient before, so her and my surgeon are going to dialogue before my appointment. So this app should be interesting. 

Hope everyone is well. ❤️ 

• Forum Moderator

I am happy things are going as well or better and soon you will be running marathons or whatever is your personal passion besides nursing. You have been doing a good job on nursing yourself.

Congrats

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Kylie said:

Over the last two weeks my biggest issue has been each morning around 5am waking up in extreme discomfort. I always go pee; and of course leave a toilet bowl full of blood. Surgeon says it is from being in bed all night any bleeding I’m having just sits in my canal awaiting me to let it out, so she believes that is why I have such discomfort. Definitely isn’t the highlight of my day because that first dilation too is typically a bit bloody.

Yeah, the first couple... months... were kind of a horror show for me too. So much blood.

It gets better though. By month two or three you should be done with that part.

Hugs!

@Jackie C. Girl! All the blood! Like I just sit there and can’t figure it out. I know when I pee the first time in the morning I fee a bit of a burn, so I know it is irritating something. I hope it stops! Just hate seeing my own blood. Haha, I’ve become numb to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Week 6 & 7. 

Been pretty uneventful. Bleeding is decreasing substantially all of the sudden, aesthetics are looking better, have some granulation tissue in a few spots that my GYN will be taking care of next week. Developed a small tear near my perineum and vaginal canal opening, goodness does it sting! Things seem to be speeding up in terms of healing. Have another post-op check up Tuesday, so have to send photos and such in today to my Surgeon so she can review my progress then if no issues I don’t speak to her again until 6 months! 

Hope everyone is well, just want to give little updates here and there. ☺️

• Forum Moderator

Wonderful news Kylie. Happiness for you.... And now on the the new job. Congratulations on your progress in all aspects of your life.

• Forum Moderator
5 hours ago, Kylie said:

Developed a small tear near my perineum and vaginal canal opening

Oh ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. I hope your GYN can help with that.

Hugs!

• 2 months later...

Well here I am...almost 4 months post-op!

Never thought I’d see this day nor would I say this, but I’m healed! Granted since being back to the working life, I swell a lot which makes dilation difficult, but nonetheless, I just wait and dilate the next day, haven’t experienced any issues. My hypergranulation has cleared up except one small area which doesn’t bother me at all and I am having it treated one more time on Monday.  Dilation while difficult for the first 3 months due to the hypergranulation is now much easier. 

intercourse has not happened yet for personal reasons. Simply just want to wait until I find someone that I feel comfortable with. I’ve been entertaining a few and floating the idea in my head..so I think by Christmas I will have done the deed, Merry Christmas to me, right?

hope everyone is well and staying safe. Remember, I’m seeing the CoVID in real time in my ICU, and each should pray for one another, but don’t forget to pray for the Nurses at the bedside caring for the sickest CoVID patients, very few nurses have been tasked with this duty, and people need to think of the emotional toll it is taking on us. That is why I’ve been missing in action for the last month, dealing with this new line of death has got me down.

Stay safe!

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Kylie said:

intercourse has not happened yet for personal reasons. Simply just want to wait until I find someone that I feel comfortable with. I’ve been entertaining a few and floating the idea in my head..so I think by Christmas I will have done the deed, Merry Christmas to me, right?

Just remember to shout "Merry Christmas" when you climax.

I'm glad you're feeling better. Those first couple of months while you're figuring out how dilation works can be rough. Also messy. I've got the pillow they sent me home with and I'm thinking, "That's disgusting. I really ought to try and wash the blood out of that."

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Kylie said:

Remember, I’m seeing the CoVID in real time in my ICU, and each should pray for one another, but don’t forget to pray for the Nurses at the bedside caring for the sickest CoVID patients, very few nurses have been tasked with this duty, and people need to think of the emotional toll it is taking on us. That is why I’ve been missing in action for the last month, dealing with this new line of death has got me down.

Kylie thank you all you do and for reminding us that as people become ill there are special folks like you who are there to care for them.   Please be safe.

Jani 

I am excited for ‘first time.’  I giggle at the thought of being a 30 year old virgin. So, I’m ready now that I’m ‘clear’ to take on the adventure. 

ha, I mean, yelling Merry Christmas would be fitting, right?

thanks @Jani, I’ve only been back to work a month and I’m emotionally exhausted already. 

• Forum Moderator

I'm happy you are getting through so much and I want to thank you for braving the Covid to help others. Please be safe and when you get your Christmas gift enjoy it for me because even though I hope to have my surgeries I doubt I will find someone to provide me with the feeling  always wanted when I helped my wife find pleasure. Sadly even as male I never I never felt pleasure. I'm enviously yet joyful for you and I hope it is an experience you treasure.

@Shaythank you! 

You have made so much progress in such a short time, your time is coming! Keep those positive thoughts and same energy and you will achieve all your dreams!

• Forum Moderator
On 11/28/2020 at 8:53 AM, Kylie said:

My hypergranulation has cleared up except one small area

Kylie, I had a question about hypergranulation. Some of my girlfriends have had some of these issues after their surgeries. They both went in to have these areas treated by their surgeon. As far as I can tell, many post-op women see this issue to some degree or another shortly afterward. What is the determining factor that makes one get this looked at...the size/area or the pain level? I am hoping my PCP which is only a 30 min drive will be able to help out with treating these areas if I run into issue. My surgeon 320 miles away. ?

On 11/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, Kylie said:

I am excited for ‘first time.’  I giggle at the thought of being a 30 year old virgin. So, I’m ready now that I’m ‘clear’ to take on the adventure.

Good for you, girl! Some of the BEST things in life are worth waiting for, Kylie. ?

Thanks for the uplifting update...I’m happy to see that things are really coming together for you.

My Best,

Susan R?

@Susan R Good question! So I asked my surgeon in depth about why this happens. They really don’t have an idea what predisposes people to have the over granulation. I see it from time to time in patients that have other surgeries at my job. My surgeon is 1,300 miles away so I know that pain! Luckily my GYN has treated it this entire time. What made me go to have it treated was the amount of bleeding and the terrible pain I was having, especially during dilation. It felt like I was taking a knife and putting it in side each time I dilated. Now, I dilate with no discomfort other than the right feeling I have each time since I’m going up on dilator size, finally! Have you established a surgical date yet?? Who are you having it done with? Feel free to PM me if you want!

• Forum Moderator
6 hours ago, Kylie said:

Have you established a surgical date yet?? Who are you having it done with? Feel free to PM me if you want!

Kylie, thank you for the information regarding hypergranulation. I was hoping we’re able to could get more local treatment for this. I don’t yet have a GYN. I have my first pre-op appointment in 10 days (Dec. 10) with my local in-network PCP and I will ask her if she’ll be referring my to a GYN for this specific issue should it arise after surgery. In all likelihood, it could happen at some point. I just want to be prepared as it’s such a common issue.

I’m scheduled for GRS Jan. 5 & BA Jan. 15. Both surgeries are performed by with Dr. Geoffrey Stiller. The GRS will be done in Spokane and the BA in Colfax during the same visit to Eastern Washington.

My wife and I leave home on Dec. 30. due to the need for a covid test before my first of two pre-op appts. with Stiller. After the 2 surgeries and 3 weeks in Spokane, I fly home on Jan. 22 after a final visit with my surgeon.

Of course these plans are all paper thin right now. Our Gov. here in WA state could decide to stop elective surgeries due to the increase of covid cases. His next monthly scheduled update is set for Dec. 14. I’ll likely find out then whether I am allowed to proceed with my surgeries or not.

Thanks Again?,

Susan R?

Congratulations! It is super exciting I know. I found my GYN on my own. I did some research and went that way. My Surgeon, located in Texas (I’m in North Carolina) required I have a GYN established prior to proceeding with surgery. My GYN I see had not cared for a post-op trans patient before, so she was super excited! She speaks with my surgeon frequently and we have done Zoom calls with her while I’m in office to make sure things are healing properly. I am just excited I no longer have any over granulation. I’m not just dealing with some regression of a bit of one of my labia, so unfortunately I’ll have to have a revision surgery sometime around next may. But all in all I’m just thankful it has healed now. 

keep me up to date!

for anyone that has Instagram, follow me for closer communication of any questions!

my Instagram name is Kylie.rn 

• 2 months later...

SIX MONTHS

So it has been a pretty tumultuous six months of recovery. I’ve been dealing with a lot of work related stuff and personal growth. 

Recovery was going well and I was just having the typical granulation tissue issues, with some associated pain. Around the 5 month mark I began having difficulty dilating out of the blue. My surgeon referred me to Pelvic floor therapy and I’ve still not experienced much improvement in dilating. So, after pretty involved assessment, we have discovered I have developed a Ring Scar Contracture in my vaginal opening (introitus). 

So now, the plan is for me to undergo a revision surgery. This will include general anesthesia, a surgical dilation with the largest dilator and removal of the scar tissue. Will be a 30 minute out-patient procedure. So, begins the journey of insurance approval, and planning some time off of work for the travel back to Texas!

Hopefully things continue to move forward. If anyone has any burning questions, ask away or send me a DM!

I've just finished reading through this thread. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences of GCS as I definitely see GCS in my future, always have TBH. Quite sorry to hear about this latest complication. Hopefully the revision goes well and that you are able to get the financial coverage you need to get it done.

Q: Unless I'm mistaken you opted for full depth. I don't think I'd feel right about GCS unless I get full depth honestly. If you had the opportunity to go back in time to have your GCS over again would you chose full depth again knowing what you know now, and are there other things beside full depth that you would request from your surgeon if you stayed with your original decision?

• Forum Moderator

Hey Kylie! Glad to hear you're doing well and healing mostly OK. Sorry to hear about the scar formation, I'm crossing my legs with sympathy pain. ?

Big hugs!