• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hair growth for MtoF child

MomTGDaughter

My daughter just transitioned right around the time of the lockdowns as this was a perfect opportunity to start her transition to becoming female. So far mostly good, her hair is a few inches below her shoulders and thick. She is  12 years old and very mature for her age. She adores very long hair and wants her hair to grow to her waist. Any of you have experience with this and how fast did you MtoF daughter's hair grow and how long? Is there any suggestions to help it grow faster, further more keep it healthy and natural?

• Admin
Carolyn Marie

As far as i know, hon, the hair of MtF youth grow at the same rate as any natal girl's hair, about six inches per year on average.

Carolyn Marie

KathyLauren

Everyone's hair does its own thing.  A hair follicle has a specific life span.  Once it has grown a hair for that long, the hair falls out, and the follicle must rest before starting a new hair. That limits the length of hair a person can grow.  As an adult, I didn't cut my hair for over ten years.  The longest I could grow it in that time was shoulder length.  Everyone is different in that respect.

I am happy that your daughter is able to enjoy growing out her hair.  I hope she is able to indulge her dream of waist-length hair.  I used to envy girls who had hair long enough to sit on.

• Forum Moderator

Yes our hair tends to grow dependent upon a number of factors including our genetic makeup.  Here are the stages of growth.

Anagen is the active growth phase of hair follicles during which the root of the hair is dividing rapidly, adding to the hair shaft. During this phase the hair grows about 1 cm every 28 days. Scalp hair stays in this active phase of growth for 2–7 years; this period is genetically determined.

The catagen phase is a short transition stage that occurs at the end of the anagen phase. It signals the end of the active growth of a hair. The hair detaches from its blood supply during the catagen phase. This phase lasts for about two to three weeks while a club hair is formed.

The telogen phase is the resting phase of the hair follicle. When the body is subjected to extreme stress, as much as 70 percent of hair can prematurely enter the telogen phase and begin to fall, causing a noticeable loss of hair. This condition is called telogen effluvium.

Dana Michelle

I'm 38 and I haven't had my hair cut in 18 years, and have been on estrogen and testosterone blockers for 2 1/2 years. My hair goes about 1/3 of the way down my back, which is the same length it was before starting hormones.

• 2 weeks later...
MomTGDaughter

I took her to the salon over the weekend and my stylist did a wonderful job on her hair. She very much looks like a girl now, her hair was styled in a bob to her lower neck. My stylist suggested this is the best way to set it up to grow longer and give her a very feminine look. Before it was getting long and had to use a butterfly clip to hold her hair back, now her front hair is nicely resting behind her ears, though she now has cute bangs in the very front on top of her eyes. I am excited for her!

• 7 months later...
MomTGDaughter

Upsate: Sheila's hair is now about 60% down her back, it's has grown very nicely with hel help of biotin. Having a very girl feminine look has really helped her self-esteem.

• Admin
VickySGV

👍😍😍👆

2 hours ago, MomTGDaughter said:

Sheila's hair is now about 60% down her back, it's has grown very nicely with hel help of biotin. Having a very girl feminine look has really helped her self-esteem.

Wonderful.

My sisters had waist length hair.  I was always so jealous.

MomTGDaughter
7 hours ago, Jandi said:

Wonderful.

My sisters had waist length hair.  I was always so jealous.

Is she trans? Our stylist said it likely to be at her waist by end of summer. She is giving us great tips to help maintain her long and thick hair. 

Oh no.  My sisters were cis, this was years ago.  Personally, I haven't cut mine in years and it is barely past my shoulders.  Sounds like your daughter's is growing well.

I don't think birth sex has much to do with how it grows, although T can mess things up later in life.

MomTGDaughter
2 hours ago, Jandi said:

Oh no.  My sisters were cis, this was years ago.  Personally, I haven't cut mine in years and it is barely past my shoulders.  Sounds like your daughter's is growing well.

I don't think birth sex has much to do with how it grows, although T can mess things up later in life.

She has been on blockers and will go on estrogen in the next year or so.  I  her hair will hold up well as she gets older.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 55 Guests (See full list)

• Snow Princess Sophie
    • Stefi
    • Chloe Cozee
    • DonkeySocks
    • whatishappening
    • Confused1
    • Carolyn Marie
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

scotchtape
    Newest Member
    scotchtape

1. brokenshadows
      brokenshadows
      (41 years old)
    2. Harley
      Harley
      (40 years old)
    3. seven
      seven
      (18 years old)
    • Jackie C.
      Well, you are a woman. Good on him for noticing though!   Hugs!
    • Britney Summers
      Hello again, thanks for the tips. I haven't gotten lipstick yet. I have to make sure it is something that comes off completely and quickly if need be. I need to get a whole make up brush set and all that and go learn from youtube.
    • 2beBreanna
      Thanks.  I will look into these. Not sure how many places we are looking for yet but it will probably be 4.. one for each week in june.
    • DonkeySocks
      Hey, this news (long time coming) made me smile. Sounds like you are in a good place emotionally and physically.
    • DonkeySocks
      Sounds like a great day. Thanks for sharing.
    • DonkeySocks
      Oh, and I think a loose, long skirt looks more gender-neutral than a form-hugging knee-length skirt, when you have thigh/hip curves. Kinda draw the eye down to the lower leg instead of sticking at the curves.
    • DonkeySocks
      Plaid flannels in a size or two larger than your usual shirt size. Lace-up boots or ankle-high shoes, even if you're in a skirt. A masculine hat over the short haircut. Turtleneck shirt or sweater. Leather bracelets/wristlets or a masculine watch. So many people associate skirts with females that they will gender based on the skirt without looking at anything else, but if you're in pants, a hat can really help. Also, straight-cut jeans look more generically masculine than sweatpants do, I think. You will have to experiment with size because of the men's jeans not being made for your hips. If you live in an area with a farm store that sells Carhartt brand jeans you might try those.   When you want to look twink and still make people do a double-take, you might try a hat, a button-down shirt that's more dressy than flannel, but still a size or two larger so it won't fit your curves too closely, and high-top shoes. All that with a skirt. Also, plaid skirts might make people think more masculine, depending on the color.
    • VickySGV
      The Scots and Irish, and gay men I know wear a Kilt which is a skirt of sorts.  I have a couple used for various statements I like to make. Mine are not tartan plaid, one is black and another is a pinstriped fabric, but definitely male attire to most people.  For me they are gender neutral.  Utilikilt and Stump Town Kilts are where I have gotten mine.
    • VickySGV
      National Center for Transgender Equality (HQ in New York, but active nation wide) Transgender Law Center (San Francisco based, but active nationwide.) Trans Life Line which is listed on our page in Suicide prevention   Local LGBTQ Centers have Trans Programs, and can be found here: https://www.lgbtcenters.org/LGBTCenters Donations can be earmarked for Trans Programs.   Equality Texas is working to help Trans and Families in the current legislative maelstrom.   I will quit there, because there are many groups that will be happy to receive donations.    
    • 2beBreanna
      Hey all.  My company has started a business resource group for LBGTQ+.  I somehow managed to get picked for a chair position on the board.  We are just starting things up and will be discussing plans for pride month this week.  Part of what the company is looking to do is make a donation to a LBGTQ group that supports the community in a positive way.  Something that is nationwide or west of the Mississippi River would be preferred.  So far we have suggested PFLAG and Pride Sports USA.  What other groups would you all suggest. I would like to find something more trans related to suggest to the group.  Even if it's something local we can look into it.     I am sure I will be looking for more help as I go through this journey as I am newer to the group.  Thanks in advance for all you all do.
    • Susan R
      What used to work for me early in transition before ‘something’ shrunk into obscurity, was a medium absorbency pad along with a moderately tight pair of panties. I would wear that to the gym and I had no issues with bulges. You again look great as usual.   Susan R🌷
    • Elizabeth Star
      Thanks everyone. I do like this outfit but the downside is keeping the parts in place all day. I know I could wear a pair of two of tight undies to get the same effect but I’m weird and don’t like panty lines in leggings. I just remembered I have some cutoffs I could try this with when I get rid of these pasty-white winter legs.    I love this thread. Everyone has great looks. 
    • Davie
      A Believing Sonnet  Numbness is close to godliness when I miss you.  Feeling is believing when you speak to me.  At lunch my hands keep busy spooning miso soup,  as I count noses, yours and mine don’t equal three.  What women wear means nothing to my poetry,  but I remember all the dresses you wore this fall,  as if outside visions of cotton mattered to me— 
 as if a fitbit counted important feelings for all.  Do brown leather boots with black heels mean  anything to a small wallet and a phone poem?  I count the times you smile infinity beams 
in disgust at my hope to dispatch all wrongs.  My feet don’t remember bread gave them power.  My words don’t know how I can love the hour.   —— Davie     
    • Beatriz
      Wow, that sounds great! Congratulations! I'm very happy for you.
    • whatishappening
      Thank you!
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.