Jump to content
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

    We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Electrolysis Report


Jeanette West

Recommended Posts

Has anybody experienced scarring from PHR?  I read an experience on another forum where somebody thought it was too much trauma to face all at the same time.

 

My second question is, is it possible to do these mass clearings on say a Thursday and Friday, and then be able to return to work Monday morning without essentially being outed?  Is there any reasonable thing to say that can explain away why my face looks the way it does?

Link to comment
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Bri2020

    8

  • Jeanette West

    14

  • Erica Gabriel

    12

  • KatieP

    9

8 hours ago, Bri2020 said:

I will let u know. Just got to Chicago today and have 6 hrs tomorrow ( genital prep). 

I’m pestering my electrologist lady about all that. She says clean your )*( well beforehand so they don’t have to do it for you! We had a good laugh about that. I’m happy for you, @Bri2020. I’m going to discuss the process with my therapist next week. I hope tomorrow isn’t too painful.

Link to comment

For me, after a couple days recovery I don't think anyone would notice anything other than some 'razor burn', but of course everyone's different. 

Link to comment
On 10/16/2021 at 6:09 PM, jkm said:

Has anybody experienced scarring from PHR?  I read an experience on another forum where somebody thought it was too much trauma to face all at the same time.

 

My second question is, is it possible to do these mass clearings on say a Thursday and Friday, and then be able to return to work Monday morning without essentially being outed?  Is there any reasonable thing to say that can explain away why my face looks the way it does?

IMO, not the first time. I just finished my 6th or 7th clearing, which was only about 2. 5 hours, and I could easily have gone to work the next day. But the first time? Well... let me show you...

 

That was the first time, at the end of day 2. I do not have a sufficient imagination to explain that away.

 

THAT said, I LOVE PHR, and trust Irena and Dan totally. I could get 2. 5 hours done locally, and instead I travelled 1200 miles and paid for hotels, just to have Irena and/or Dan do the work...

FaceAfterDay2.jpg

Link to comment
1 hour ago, KatieP said:

That was the first time, at the end of day 2. I do not have a sufficient imagination to explain that away.

I would definitely wear a mask! 
 

I wish I could speed mine up. I’m getting 45-50 minutes worth once a week. It is covered by insurance but it takes months to see small signs of progress. I wonder if Kaiser would cover like a 10-20 hour block all at one go?

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Erica Gabriel said:

Whoa! 

I should have put up a parental warning?

 

I have deleted almost every picture of me from "before." But I have saved a couple of these for "documentation" purposes.

 

I DO apologize for grossing out anyone...

 

Katie

Link to comment
1 hour ago, AgnesBardsie said:

I would definitely wear a mask! 
 

I wish I could speed mine up. I’m getting 45-50 minutes worth once a week. It is covered by insurance but it takes months to see small signs of progress. I wonder if Kaiser would cover like a 10-20 hour block all at one go?

The complete clearing route is VERY satisfying. Although it does take several complete clearings, each time, there is less and less, and you think less and less about needing to shave. I can go 3 days without noticing anything by touch, and probably a week or two before anything visible would show up on my face that others could see.

Link to comment

I guess I'm making progress cause someone here put the shaving cream that was 'on deck' into the 'donate' pile thinking I wouldn't be needing to shave again. Sadly, I needed to rescue it.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, KatieP said:

I should have put up a parental warning?

 

I have deleted almost every picture of me from "before." But I have saved a couple of these for "documentation" purposes.

 

I DO apologize for grossing out anyone...

 

Katie

Oh, I’m not offended. You should see my neck after electrolysis. It looks like I have some pox like disease. I bruise there too for some reason. 

Link to comment

Well I had my first "full clearing" of the genital area.  The session ended well but didn't start that way. The Dr who does the sedation was call to the hospital for an emergency and wasn't expected back.  They were trying to figure out what to do and left me wondering (with lidocaine cream on my privies) for 90 minutes. Finally I had to ask and they confessed what was going on.  I told them just to do the shots because I couldn't reschedule having flown in.  Luckily I had some ativan with me for my anxiety and quickly chewed one up while they prepared.  The shots were moderately uncomfortable by then but tolerable.

The rest of the clearing went smooth as butter. They are amazingly fast.  She stayed later than planned in order to get as much done since we started late.  She did warn me when I first came in and she looked at my area that she might not get everything in one pass with just her since like everywhere else, I have a lot of hair.  In the end after 6 hours she clear the penis, scrotum and to the sides of the scrotum but didn't get to the perineum area.  I was really impressed.  

Got back to the hotel still feeling OK but by 10 pm I felt like I had a hot baseball down there. You see the pic of KatieP's face, well, apply that level of swelling down below.  

I didn't sleep well having to wake up and ice the red hot baseball between my legs but by morning things have calmed down a bit discomfort wise, not swelling wise. 

My only complaint is that they don't really have someone monitoring phones or emails. Everyone is hands on so they just get around to returning communications whenever they get a chance or feel like it. It can be day to a week before they write back.  Obviously you are NOT going to get a pic of the results and swelling  lol

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Bri2020 said:

Well I had my first "full clearing" of the genital area.  The session ended well but didn't start that way. The Dr who does the sedation was call to the hospital for an emergency and wasn't expected back.  They were trying to figure out what to do and left me wondering (with lidocaine cream on my privies) for 90 minutes. Finally I had to ask and they confessed what was going on.  I told them just to do the shots because I couldn't reschedule having flown in.  Luckily I had some ativan with me for my anxiety and quickly chewed one up while they prepared.  The shots were moderately uncomfortable by then but tolerable.

The rest of the clearing went smooth as butter. They are amazingly fast.  She stayed later than planned in order to get as much done since we started late.  She did warn me when I first came in and she looked at my area that she might not get everything in one pass with just her since like everywhere else, I have a lot of hair.  In the end after 6 hours she clear the penis, scrotum and to the sides of the scrotum but didn't get to the perineum area.  I was really impressed.  

Got back to the hotel still feeling OK but by 10 pm I felt like I had a hot baseball down there. You see the pic of KatieP's face, well, apply that level of swelling down below.  

I didn't sleep well having to wake up and ice the red hot baseball between my legs but by morning things have calmed down a bit discomfort wise, not swelling wise. 

My only complaint is that they don't really have someone monitoring phones or emails. Everyone is hands on so they just get around to returning communications whenever they get a chance or feel like it. It can be day to a week before they write back.  Obviously you are NOT going to get a pic of the results and swelling  lol

Thank you for this update and much thanks for no pic! 

Link to comment
On 10/20/2021 at 2:29 AM, Bri2020 said:

Well I had my first "full clearing" of the genital area.  The session ended well but didn't start that way. The Dr who does the sedation was call to the hospital for an emergency and wasn't expected back.  They were trying to figure out what to do and left me wondering (with lidocaine cream on my privies) for 90 minutes. Finally I had to ask and they confessed what was going on.  I told them just to do the shots because I couldn't reschedule having flown in.  Luckily I had some ativan with me for my anxiety and quickly chewed one up while they prepared.  The shots were moderately uncomfortable by then but tolerable.

The rest of the clearing went smooth as butter. They are amazingly fast.  She stayed later than planned in order to get as much done since we started late.  She did warn me when I first came in and she looked at my area that she might not get everything in one pass with just her since like everywhere else, I have a lot of hair.  In the end after 6 hours she clear the penis, scrotum and to the sides of the scrotum but didn't get to the perineum area.  I was really impressed.  

Got back to the hotel still feeling OK but by 10 pm I felt like I had a hot baseball down there. You see the pic of KatieP's face, well, apply that level of swelling down below.  

I didn't sleep well having to wake up and ice the red hot baseball between my legs but by morning things have calmed down a bit discomfort wise, not swelling wise. 

My only complaint is that they don't really have someone monitoring phones or emails. Everyone is hands on so they just get around to returning communications whenever they get a chance or feel like it. It can be day to a week before they write back.  Obviously you are NOT going to get a pic of the results and swelling  lol

 

Bri, you were there with me while I was getting my facial hair zapped. I heard someone in one of the other rooms while I was short breaks a couple of times. I came in that morning from Alaska, had my teeth prettified upstairs at Wilmette Family Dental, came downstairs for my lipo/bbl/contour and was filling out the legal paperwork when I was given the news the doctor had been called away on a family emergency. My surgery was put off from Thursday to Saturday, no big deal I was/am in Chicago for two weeks. Finished the paperwork, then went in to my session with PHR, didn't get the facial which I wanted and had paid for, like you was slathered with lidocaine then injected, not bad ~ 90% of my face done in four hours total. Not much left. I have paid for 2 techs for 7.5 hours each, I need my neck and rest of face, so far no response to emails and telephone calls go straight to message machine with no return. Very disappointing considering the smooth process on previous visits.

Swelling, kind of a lot since the technique between the doctor and the lady who injected me are different. Now after seven days, almost all gone.

 

Link to comment
On 10/27/2021 at 9:10 AM, Jeanette West said:

 

Bri, you were there with me while I was getting my facial hair zapped. I heard someone in one of the other rooms while I was short breaks a couple of times. I came in that morning from Alaska, had my teeth prettified upstairs at Wilmette Family Dental, came downstairs for my lipo/bbl/contour and was filling out the legal paperwork when I was given the news the doctor had been called away on a family emergency. My surgery was put off from Thursday to Saturday, no big deal I was/am in Chicago for two weeks. Finished the paperwork, then went in to my session with PHR, didn't get the facial which I wanted and had paid for, like you was slathered with lidocaine then injected, not bad ~ 90% of my face done in four hours total. Not much left. I have paid for 2 techs for 7.5 hours each, I need my neck and rest of face, so far no response to emails and telephone calls go straight to message machine with no return. Very disappointing considering the smooth process on previous visits.

Swelling, kind of a lot since the technique between the doctor and the lady who injected me are different. Now after seven days, almost all gone.

 

Yea, their communication is crap.  There was another person that came in the same time as me and got face and lower parts worked on. She obviously didn't like not getting sedation and I could hear she was having a tough time with it.  

I finally got the receipt I asked for 10 days ago by email.

The swell subsided 75% by day 5 and is back to normal size by day 7/8.  all of the skin is still raw and it's been 10 days.  

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

I am curious about these all day sessions. Jeanette/Katie/Bri, how much does it cost to get this done? Daily cost? Multiple days cost? How long does it usually take to get an appointment? This may be my Christmas gift to me! Please let me know.

Sincerely

Katie

Link to comment

Being older with most of what little facial hair I have being gray does electrolysis work? I have been told that laser will not work.

Link to comment

Hey Billie, I began my transition at 62, and have had both treatments. The laser was only marginally effective for me; gray and reddish-blonde facial hair. Electrolysis was much more effective. And more painful, but worth every minute of it.

Link to comment

Jeanette,

 

I am looking to book 2 or 3 day session with them for my face and maybe my chest. So, you have went for multiple days from what I read. You have had to go back for additional sessions? Is this because of regrowth, or hairs that are just recalcitrant? The lidocaine can sting when going in, but if they warm it up and buffer it with bicarb, it is much less painful when injected. It also depends on the needle gauge they use. I am very curious about what I facing. Wiping the face is priceless compared to shaving, waxing, laser, etc.

Sincerely

Katie

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

It may be because I have been awake for 37 hours, but to clarify, you go for either an 8 hour day, or multi-day visits with the staff. Then after you have had the 3 day session you have to back for sessions to take care of the regrowth? Mighty expensive. 

 

I had visited a local electrolysis center. Just to clear the face, 127 hours. Is this a reasonable estimate?

Is it better to be on estrogen or is it better to wait to have the electrology done first? Thanks!

Link to comment

Hey @Katie23 to answer your question, first, it depends on a number of factors. Most electrolysis clinics don't require a multiple day stay, or even an 8 hour stay. For example, mine offers treatments in 15, 30 and 60 minute increments and can be scheduled as needed. Additional factors for how effective the treatment is include: how heavy the beard growth is (ie: do you get 5 o'clock shadow, etc.), How large the area being treated is, how dark the hair is and so on. Further, multiple sessions are usually required, particularly if you are not on HRT.

 

In my case, I had been on HRT for a while before going, which helped to thin my beard and body hair coverage and had slowed the hair growth. To the best of my knowledge, there is no particular order that needs to be done. For example, you don't need to be on HRT or start beforehand. Speaking for myself alone, the process is painful (and I have a deep seated fear of needles of any kind; no tattoos for me! lol) so I was glad for the HRT beforehand. But again, this is your decision. Keep in mind that once it's done, electrolysis is pretty much irreversible.

 

Hope this helps.

Hugs,

Marcie

Link to comment

I started electrolysis six months before HRT because of recommendations I received from YouTube and I just wanted to get started with my transition ASAP. It was much less painful before HRT and I’ve noticed little change in my facial hair growth since starting HRT last March. I’ve almost 40 hours in and am pleased with the results though it is a long process. You have to be patient and realize that it can take multiple treatments on the same follicle to remove it. My upper lip area has been particularly stubborn and, unfortunately, that is the most sensitive area to treat. My cheeks, chin and neck are mostly clear now and I only shave a few times a week. I go to my clinic once a week for 1 hour sessions but am now doing 1.5-2 hours at a time. I’ve a couple of ladies that I like to use there and we’ve become close since we’ve spent so much time together. The right electrolysis person can be like another therapist. 
 

Link to comment

I think what it comes down to is if you ever want to go anywhere near a razor to your face ever again (dysphoric trigger), your finances, and how quickly you want to be rid of the situation.

 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

    • VickySGV
    • AnnorahGrace
    • Elizabeth Star
    • Cyndee
    • Jackie C.
    • Tara37
    • Hannah Renee
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      76.4k
    • Total Posts
      717.1k
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      9,494
    • Most Online
      8,356

    ironic
    Newest Member
    ironic
    Joined
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BEAN_CHILD
      BEAN_CHILD
    2. Chrystopher
      Chrystopher
      (26 years old)
    3. Chuckey
      Chuckey
      (61 years old)
    4. Elias
      Elias
    5. Joni
      Joni
      (62 years old)
  • Posts

    • Davie
      Too Sweet for Dessert: Emily Elbert - What's Going On (Marvin Gaye cover)
    • Carolyn Marie
      Welcome to Trans Pulse, Kira.  You can take things as slow as you want, and no one here will rush you.  We are pretty good and talking things out, answering questions, and giving support.  I will say, especially for us older folk, that passing is often a lot easier than we expected, and even when we don't pass, it usually doesn't mean that it becomes an ordeal.  When life gives you tomatoes, then make tomato soup!   HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • Heather Shay
      Welcome @Silencedelta. I'm glad you are here and thank you for being brave to tell your story. You are safe here with a lot of wonderfully supportive and knowledgeable people who can honestly answer your questions in a truthful and loving way.
    • Tellington
      Welcome! I'm happy you have a supportive girlfriend!
    • Astrid
      Hi @Silencedelta!  I'm glad you're you're not forcing any particular label or gender identity at this point. Finding what makes you happiest is more important. Please do ask any questions and share whatever you are comfortable with, when you want and are ready. We have many folks here who have been in similar situations, and we strive to support each other.   Best wishes as you discern your journey forward,    Astrid 
    • Cortomaltese
      Anything formal, anything tight.
    • Carolyn Marie
      Nat, my only additional suggestion is to Google "LGBT resources in (your city or county name).  Also, if there is a college or university in your area, they might have resources, too.   Carolyn Marie
    • Jandi
    • Silencedelta
      Hi everyone I guess I am trans but every day is different sometimes I am not sure if that 100% fits me but it's just a lable for simplicitys sake. I have all kinds of issues to talk about I will post on later but I I was approved a while ago for HRT but I have to get re approved as it's been a decade I came out in college but kinda went back in after because I live in an area where I don't feel I will be accepted because I don't think I can physically ever pass and I am too scared to try. But I want to start living the way I want to but I just wanted some people to talk to while I try to figure it all out. Kira    
    • Natnewgirl
      Thanks for the welcome, and the link. I looked through it , looks like there is very little in my area. HRT is worth a long drive to me but was hoping to find somewhere closer, maybe even a local support group. 
    • Jandi
      Well, I keep thinking about a nose ring - and I'm in my 70's.  Oh well. It's easy to ridicule someone without ever actually addressing the issues.   Seriously, beginning any kind of medical transition should not be done lightly.  But that hardly means it should be outlawed across the board.
    • stveee
    • stveee
      Speaking of interpersonal relations, I kinda put ice on the thing that was going between the black trans girl and I. It was flattering and exciting at first, then as I got to dig deeper.... well, I just had the feeling she desires a cis male and that "format"  .Especially after I basically ended up paying for everything. In the meantime, hung out a couple times with a gorgeous (I am assuming) younger bi woman that I had to keep myself from getting too enthusiastic over. She is simultaneously dating an older cis male, so it's very friendly and we are just hanging together and I am just playing it cool.  Then, I started talking with another trans girl who also performed at my recent gig. (Pics following later). So I wanted to get out more, and if I don't totally foul up, at least I have a few people to do things with. 
    • Jackie C.
      That's funny, I met a transmasc at Keystone who had purchased electrician's pants and then gone and sewn extra pockets into his vest. He was truly living his best life.   Hugs!
    • RitaD
      The nice weather has me feeling sunny and warm. I did my nails with that thought. Orange and yellow.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.
×
×
  • Create New...